Suggestions for stone and brick exterior
pittkol
We are currently building a home with a brick and stone exterior. We are looking for suggestions on which areas should be brick and which should be stone. Please see current exterior... Thanks!
TanCalGal
The "current exterior" is the best choice. I would beef up the front columns, though.
July 3, 2013 at 11:06AM   
creeser
I agree with TCG. You could match the stone on the column bases as well.
Another thought since you're in the planning stage, the door looks a bit small in comparison to the double and triple windows. Do you have room for an oversized door or double doors? Beef them up a bit as well.
July 3, 2013 at 11:17AM   
janbraun
Totally agree with creeser that the doors should be oversized or double and, as this would lessen the amount of stone facia, adding stone to the column bases would look great and further draw the eye to the entry giving it more importance. The style chosen for the front door will reinforce the look you're going for.
July 3, 2013 at 11:47AM   
shelleyuk
Another vote for double door
July 3, 2013 at 11:50AM   
HomeSolve
I'm not clear why you are mixing stone and brick, and whether they blend well together. In any event, treat each gabled element as a mass, and not a surface. The walls turn corners and the whole element if visible as you move around it. Masonry, whether stone or brick, always looks best if used as a mass object and not a surface. That being said, what are the white surfaces and what is the roofing material and gutters/downspouts. It all works together and is not an assemblage of parts.
July 3, 2013 at 12:35PM   
What do I do with this fireplace?
My husband and I just bought this 1930s home. I am...
Halted bath reno! How to proceed?
I need paint, lighting (mirror type and lights) and...
What do you think about the color on the walls?
http://www.houzz.com/photos/17438327/Small-Office-Space-traditional-home-office-houston...
Upholstered Bed
Hello! We're updating the master bedroom with an upholstered...
Unusable Side Yard
Hey guys, I have an entire side of my property covered...