Which way is best?
djvballcoach
Ok, thanks for everyone's help. Many of you asked to see the rug moved in the other direction and to see the coffee table. I love the table so don't beat me up if you don't like it. I am going for an industrial look, clean lines, lots of grays but just a few industrial pieces. My decorator doesn't want me to get too "themey". Is that even a word? I know I need some color in accessories and possibly a chair or 2 across from my sofa. I am struggling on that because of the slider out to the pool. I love that view and hate to cover it up with chairs. Ok, give me your best advice. Thanks in advance. I think. :)
ravensnest12
I like the first way!
7 Likes   June 29, 2013 at 5:47PM
northpoint2
Definitely #1!
5 Likes   June 29, 2013 at 5:48PM
0825sam
Ditto for photo #1. Can you pull everything away from the wall a little bit?
5 Likes   June 29, 2013 at 5:51PM
Margaret B
Looks great in the first picture. Wonderful coffee table!!!
2 Likes   Thanked by djvballcoach    June 29, 2013 at 5:52PM
yoboseiyo
i like it in the 1st picture.
also, lucite chairs!
http://www.amazon.com/LexMod-Philippe-Starck-Style-Louis/dp/B003KWF9YM

preserve the view, but still have the seating.
plus, they're plastic, so they hold up to water from the pool.
   June 29, 2013 at 6:00PM
LB Interiors
# 1 fits the sofa best.. Instead of chairs, how about a bench?

1 Like   June 29, 2013 at 6:03PM
djvballcoach
How far away from the wall? I have a very anal husband so I need an amount. He will get out his tape measure out when I aske him to move the couch. I know, I know. Welcome to my world. I'm not worried about people getting the chairs wet. I do want comfort so I don't see us getting the plastic chairs. I'm leaning towards a small barrel chair or 2 in a color? maybe a yellow/gray??? solid or print or stripe?
   June 29, 2013 at 6:06PM
djvballcoach
I had a huge otteman that I was going to get re-covered but my designer said "it didn't go in the space". LIke a coffee table otteman. I thought that would be a good way to get extra seating. Should I take it back from my mom? :)
1 Like   June 29, 2013 at 6:08PM
djvballcoach
Thanks grannythedecorator. Mine is from an actual furniture factory in my own town, Grand Rapids. Furniture capital of the world. :)
   June 29, 2013 at 6:09PM
LB Interiors
Can you post a pic of the ottoman? I don' think a square will work, but maybe a rectangular one.
   June 29, 2013 at 6:37PM
LB Interiors
   June 29, 2013 at 6:49PM
yoboseiyo
oooh, i like the kirar chair! that's pretty! :D

barrel chairs are so nice.

and i'd say that if you're going to pull the couch out from the wall, pull it out just enough to slip a console table behind it. doesn't have to be more than 10-12" or so, depending on the table.
   June 29, 2013 at 7:09PM
I'd say #1 and with it maybe you can put your chairs facing the FP, not blocking the view to the pool. I'd keep it on the eclectic side if I were you. Good start!
Morningside Living Room
Living Room
2 Likes   Thanked by djvballcoach    June 29, 2013 at 7:18PM
LB Interiors
The rug needs to be centered to the fireplace and sofa and chairs accordingly. Probably shift everything to the right. Agree with 'sam0705' move sofa away from the wall and console table behind.
1 Like   June 29, 2013 at 7:40PM
djvballcoach
The otteman is a rectangle shape. Very clean lines. Also, I have 3 chairs already facing the fp. You just can't see it in the picture. I have 3 theater chairs that are not going anywhere. My husband loves them. Would you still suggest moving the sofa out 12 inches, that would almost be in front of the chairs? Thanks for all the suggestions. I feel much better about the room now than I did earlier today. Any suggestions on how to cover the otteman? What colors and patterns?
1 Like   June 29, 2013 at 7:47PM
djvballcoach
lb interiors. Love all the chairs that you posted. My problem is finding fabric that will go with what I already have going. I am having a hard time with colors and making sure it goes with my slate fireplace. There is a lot going on there. Thanks for all your suggestions. Keep them coming! :)
1 Like   June 29, 2013 at 7:50PM
LB Interiors
If you can reposition the suggestions that you may like, ex mine or others, that would help to make some progress to further help you. Yes move the sofa away from wall about 16": (enough room for a console sofa table behind it). Move the rug centered to fireplace.

Please move the rug center to the fireplace. Sofa front legs on rug. Coffee table in front of the sofa. Then, can you move the chairs closer to the sofa. and ... take a pic to post. That would help us bring the room together and see how it works or does not work.

I think you need to make a tighter grouping of the entire furniture group. If we can't see the chairs, then it's not working well. Uless htis is a very large room also.

Are the three chairs, the theatre seats? If so, we need to see them closer to the sofa at an L-shape grouping.
   June 29, 2013 at 9:12PM
LB Interiors
What do you want the fabric for? The theatre seats or two new chairs? The chairs that I posted above are suggestions that will work with what you've started.
   June 29, 2013 at 9:15PM
Madeline
I love the grays of your couch and its pillows and I really love the area rug and all of it with the grays in your fireplace..I consider this well done, exceptionally well-done. Now, I'm sorry, for the rest: I am not a fan of the coffee table. I have a vision of some old family friend/the prankster just picking up the "handle" (or whatever it is it's pulled with, I don't know if it's tiredness or a few million brain cells bidding adieu but the proper term escapes me!) and taking the table, along with the hors doeurves and all of the drinks, and just waving bye bye. I know you want some industrial in the room but there's also too much of a rustic/rugged look to this table that I feel makes it a candidate for a home in another location. Otherwise, all seems great. This is one of the first rooms I remember from when I first got turned onto houzz many months ago.
   June 29, 2013 at 9:49PM
How about two modern swivel chairs across from the sofa? These take little visual space, comfy, and can swivel to chit chat or watch tv. Also, not too big to maneuver around to get out to the backyard slider.

2 Likes   Thanked by djvballcoach    June 30, 2013 at 1:43AM
Or, a little more organic swivel chairs will complement the super coffee table.

June 30, 2013 at 1:45AM
djvballcoach
I appreciate your help and suggestions on the room layout LB interiors, I have attached a photo of my room so it may help with understanding the dilemma about making the furniture come closer together. I can't really move the couch closer to the chairs because then nobody will be able to enter the room. If I move the chairs closer, same problem plus you will feel like sitting in the front row of a movie theater. Theater chairs can't be moved back as they will butt up against stairway. I can't really move the couch out 16 inches because then it will be sitting in front of the chairs. I don't know if there is an answer for this room. But, on a happy note, LOVE the table suggestions. I have also attached a picture of the 5 bar stools I purchased for my pool room. We are going to build a bar/shelf that goes along the back wall of the pool room for these stools. Sorry for mess. We are in the middle of the re-modeling process. Just painted oak bookcases and cupboards, waiting to install new sink and stainless steel counters for wet bar. Also, need to install trim on floor. I normally do not live like this.
   June 30, 2013 at 6:49AM
djvballcoach
here is a picture coming down my stairs. Help if you can!
   June 30, 2013 at 6:51AM
moonblue
Don't block view to outside with chairs. If covering ottoman, use fabric to pick up table color (looks as if it picks up color around fireplace).
   June 30, 2013 at 7:14AM
LB Interiors
Wow this is a 'big' dilemma. The room and 3 huge seats are not balanced and look awkward. They are actually in 2 different spaces. This is probably the only way to be comfortable and meet your preferred needs. Aesthetically, it doesn't work in a number of ways. I'm thinking your decorator has mentioned this.

The 3 chairs appear just stuck there, which they are. I'll start with the theatre chairs. you said they were staying. Hubby won't budge. If that is the final word, then you need to lose the sofa and work with the theatre chairs.

The theatre seats need to be lined up with the the right side of the slider (wall) and work from there. On rug edge. The rug maybe placed like your pic # 2 for this situation. Two swivel chairs like the 1st pic I posted (Georgia swivel linen) but maybe in leather on each side of the fireplace. Option for, two chairs may work where your sofa is now. Coffee table turned lengthwise to the theatre chairs. End tables for swivel chairs placed near the fireplace. If you don't mind how the room feels as is, then go for the convenience only. I'm sorry, I don't have any other suggestion at the moment.
1 Like   June 30, 2013 at 11:40AM
You want industrial and your coffee table is that…a repro of an early 1900's factory cart. The sofa will work, but the rest of your accessories, including the rug do not.

The rug is about 40-50 years away from the Industrial era.

I suggest a plain rug,,,rough and natural looking.

Then head over to Restoration Hardware and take a look at some of the furniture and accessories.
1 Like   June 30, 2013 at 11:45AM
Sold On Staging
Agree rug to much of a modern feel
2 Likes   June 30, 2013 at 11:56AM
nikikola
The first
   June 30, 2013 at 12:22PM
Genevieve
The first looks better move the chairs closer
   June 30, 2013 at 12:46PM
djvballcoach
Darzy, I really appreciate all your positive comments. It's amazing how you can get many positive comments and one or two negative, and you feel like a failure. Thanks for being up beat and supportive. I really like the chair that you suggested. Thanks for your input. I think I am a bit stuck with the layout due to theater chairs and tv etc. Its all new so we will enjoy it regardless if it is Perfect. :)
   June 30, 2013 at 4:02PM
djvballcoach
lb interiors, loved your tables. In fact, went to Pottery Barn to order the pottery wheel one and they are sold out. Figures the one I want, I can't get. Thanks for all your help. Love your ideas and will try and work something out with the 3 elephants in my room. :) When I start to accessorize the room, I would really appreciate your input. Really thanks to everyone who gave me advice. I appreciated it all.
1 Like   June 30, 2013 at 4:05PM
YWdjvballcoach...I do really like the rug and coffee table together. It's an "industrial modern" space to me! I usually agree with many commenters so I'm surprised so many aren't fond the rug. I think the wood "J" would look cool hanging on the right wall of the slider. I agree the theatre seats (and pull the sofa off the wall a bit) are not the best there, but heck, you're not going for a magazine cover. :)
   June 30, 2013 at 4:12PM
Industrial modern side table? I love the copper finish on top. $265...

June 30, 2013 at 4:16PM
djvballcoach
thank you for understanding. We went to a boutique hotel last spring in Dallas and they had loft suites, modern but had 7 of those coffee tables in lobby. I like the look of having a loft area with a few old things. My designer called it modern or contempory with a few industrial items for interest. Oh well, my husband loves the rug so guess it is staying. The big J is not made out of wood but it is a rusty metal. I thought about hanging it somewhere, but for now, it has to lean against bookcase bc it will fall over. :) I did purchase a black, white and gray canvass 45 x 55 ish of downtown Chicago kind of like a blueprint of the city. My husband is from Chicago and I thought it looked like it would fit the space. Modern with a few odd old fashion touches. In the pool room, I have the industrial stools and have lights over the table that look like they came from a factory. I found some old black and white photos of old-time pool halls and I think I am going to hang them in there.
2 Likes   June 30, 2013 at 4:21PM
LB Interiors
I really liked what you had started and tried to direct in the placement unknowingly that there other chairs that want to join the mix. Just had a hard time making the three elephants work. I love the rug and sofa and table and never felt they needed to be changed.
   Thanked by djvballcoach    June 30, 2013 at 4:23PM
djvballcoach
where would I put the table? Next to the couch by the fireplace??? If I put a table on the 3 chair side, even the skinniest people would have a hard time squeezing in the room.
   June 30, 2013 at 4:23PM
djvballcoach
LB interiors. I totally understand. I had a hard time even fitting the elephants into the picture I had to take. :) I appreciated all your help. Now, can you find me that sold out table somewhere else? :) Love it.
1 Like   June 30, 2013 at 4:24PM
djvballcoach
I'm thinking the copper finish on the top would blend with the slate on my fireplace???? Still looking for accent colors? Some suggestions were red or yellow or both? any thoughts?
   June 30, 2013 at 4:26PM
thelmalouisemom
I love the idea of adding yellow accents.

Love the rug and the coffee table.
1 Like   June 30, 2013 at 4:45PM
djvballcoach
Thanks. I needed that. :)
   June 30, 2013 at 4:51PM
Ed
#1
   June 30, 2013 at 4:54PM
djvballcoach
Darzy, I did pull the couch out from the wall about 6 inches and centered the rug off the fireplace.
   June 30, 2013 at 4:58PM
kdguensey
Hcsa
   July 3, 2013 at 4:07PM
Colorific
i love the rug and the table! but if you want to highlight the table, you can't really do it with that rug because visually - it's getting lost. could you go without a rug? if not, i'd go with a solid color rug (and the "interest" could be in it's texture). also, the rug could be the place where you bring in a color that you can mirror in some of your other decor, like pillows and objet d'art on the bookshelves. and i guess i agree with your decorator, you don't need to have everything match, just look like they've always been together. anyway, just trust your gut - it's never wrong! :-)
   July 3, 2013 at 4:57PM
djvballcoach
What is HCSA? is that some type of Houzz secret code?
   July 3, 2013 at 5:54PM
Cherry
Photo number 1 definitely! Love the colors you have used!
   July 4, 2013 at 12:31AM
djvballcoach
Thanks for the help LB interiors. I do like both tables. In another part of the basement, I have these 5 bar stools for my pool/bar area. Is it ok to have somewhat the end table and my bar stools so similar? Also, Judyg mentioned that I had a"repro" of a factory cart. Just to clear that up, my cart is an original, not a production piece. It is over 100 years old and from an actual furniture company in Grand Rapids. Thanks.
1 Like   July 4, 2013 at 5:35AM
LB Interiors
The first photo table is adjustable. Versatile. Second is not.
I like the repetition of some items in a room. It will not be overdone if you use the stools.
   July 4, 2013 at 2:16PM
mollythecollie
I am not a designer, but from looking at the photo from the stairs, I started to wonder what would happen if you moved the large theater chairs to where your sofa is now? Then they would not be blocking the view of your stairs and the other room. I love your coffee table!
1 Like   July 4, 2013 at 2:55PM
LB Interiors
I think the theatre chairs recline. Not sure.
   July 4, 2013 at 3:11PM
djvballcoach
Mollythecollie, I appreciate your willing to give your opinion to help. #1 the theater chairs do recline so putting them against that wall will not work and #2 maybe you can't see by the picture, but we have a 60" tv on the fireplace. I don't know of a man alive who would watch a football game from his chair that is sidewise to his tv. :) If there is one out there, he does not belong to me. :)
   July 4, 2013 at 3:25PM
mollythecollie
LOL!! I totally understand!
   July 4, 2013 at 3:42PM
sstarr
Have you tried putting the run underneath the theater chairs? From the photo, it looks like it would be more attractive. And, your husband likes the rug.
I like the rug, too, but it clashes with the bright wood tones of your (very nice) coffee table. You could try a simple off-white woven rug under the couch/table combination.
1 Like   July 4, 2013 at 3:50PM
sstarr
Need a better rug photo, but:
   July 4, 2013 at 4:04PM
Whispar Design
I know it seems like a lot of work but it also looks like a really fun project! I love that table. It looks very similar to one that Sterling Makes. There is another accent table that may be of interest to you if the other one is out of stock:
. I have a few ideas for industrial lights for your pool room/bar project but that can wait until you get to that point :)
   July 5, 2013 at 7:45AM
djvballcoach
Thanks for the offer to help. We have already purchased 3 pendant lights to hang over our pool table in our industrial/modern downstairs area. We also found some really cool black and white photos of billiard rooms from the 1900's were thought about framing. Any thoughts?
1 Like   July 5, 2013 at 2:50PM
Need Help Finding out which is the best way to clean this stone?
Hey there houzz world. Our client was just wondering:...
Which way do you like it best?
With handles (soft-closing) or without handles (push-to-open)?...
Which way looks best?
With mercury glass lamp or with burlap lamp? Any other...
Backsplash question
Would you tile above the range hood here? Thinking...
1960's yellow tile bathroom
I took the wallpaper down and removed the medicine...
Panic! Need Help!! Kitchen/Dining/Living Area 24ft x 22ft. total
Building a new home. Missed Depth of Kitchen, thought...
What do I need to do with this space?
Just got the Farm House table, bench, and hutch for...
Need help my company logo
Horizon infra completely based on constructional and...