What are the "rules" for accent walls?
wisneb
I was going to do two adjoining walls in my LR, but would that be okay?
Hey, we designers don't have too many rules, at least not ones that we don't break now and then. Many designers don't approve of accent walls at all. Well, I do, and I like them sometimes as a single wall and sometimes as two adjoining walls. Since we want them to be the "accent" that usually means that they are not the predominant color, but are offered in a smaller amount as an "accent". But two adjoining walls, while we may refer to them as an "accent" are merely a combination of wall colors that work well together.

Now, dare I ask what color you were planning to use and where and against what other color?
June 29, 2013 at 6:37pm      Thanked by wisneb
Not the best idea since that means there, will be 3 colors going on with the walls?
June 29, 2013 at 7:36pm      Thanked by wisneb
Dy, it was not my understanding that there were three colors. Two walls in one color, and presumably 2 walls in a second color.
June 29, 2013 at 7:48pm        Thanked by wisneb
olldroo
Wisneb - I think it might be a good idea to post a photo of the room you are considering as a lot depends on the size, shape and design of the room, placement of doors and windows, etc. Some rooms lend themselves automatically to accent walls, others can look contrived, others .......... well.......we just won't talk about.
June 29, 2013 at 8:07pm      Thanked by wisneb
wisneb
Note: everything in existing pics is going down to family room; so starting clean.

So, the two walls which are very tall in the living room (I'm taking out everything you see; it's going down to the family room with husband's traditional decorating style).

I'm going MCM style in this LR, with some nature influences; think driftwood colors, stones, wood, etc., but not beachy, of course - do not live by the beach.

I was planning on doing the two tallest walls which meet in the SW Pewter Cast or Summit Gray. Then all the rest of the walls and continuing to dining room would be SW Mega Greige or something like that. If you can offer paint ideas - it would be helpful. I have a lot of SW in the house now (been working on other rooms).

On one tall wall I want suspended rustic wood shelves (with dark charcoal paint on that wall).

On the other tall wall (other side is kitchen), I want a long off-white sofa and wondered if the dark charcoal paint would be okay there???

In front of the windows, identical long, off-white sofa (so they face). No chairs, since it would crowd the room - so what are you thoughts on no chairs?

Window currently has black/pewter print (got rid of the burgundy drapes you see in the pic).

In-between the two sofas: shaggy area rug with glass industrial-look coffee table.

Entryway: MCM console with Mercury light and some natural accents.

Artwork: I have some wildlife artwork which is more impressionistic that I want to put into this room. Charcoal grays, gray/blues - soft tones.

I painted the door gray (used to be burgundy). I also removed the Valentine's Heart :)

Thinking of adding accent pieces like vases which are a watery-turquoise color ??? I am kind of color-phobic and like restful, natural look.

Moving away from traditional to modern/MCM/nature. Husband has no idea what I'm trying to do, but I'm very tired of the brown/gold and heavy brown furniture. Want to move forward. :) Thank you.
June 29, 2013 at 9:22pm   
I think you have 2 posts with the same dilemma- confusing
June 29, 2013 at 9:43pm      Thanked by wisneb
wisneb
someone asked for pics, so I added them here and then specifically, this Q. was about accent walls - and added the pics/further explanation as they wished/sorry for any confusion.
June 29, 2013 at 10:34pm   
olldroo
Thanks for pics wisneb - this looks an awkward room with the front door opening directly to it, so I would look for definition of your LR with paint colour and furniture placement and that would govern the type of chairs you use too. Definitely one long sofa and single chairs give you more versatility. I think I would leave the green wall a different colour but include the face of the return wall at the bottom of the stairs. Painting the other three walls the same colour would help define the LR from the entry area where I don't feel just doing two walls will achieve anything.

If you are looking at going with driftwood/stones/wood colours, I'm surprised you are looking at greys, but I don't know your paints so can't comment there sorry. The dark charcoal grey with shelving sounds fabulous, but I worry it would bring the wall at you and make the room look smaller. I like the idea of aqua/turquoise accents though and coral always looks nice for some extra accent with those colours.

Drooling over your indoor plants, any secret tips???
June 29, 2013 at 11:15pm      Thanked by wisneb
It sounds like you have put a lot of thought into your design transformation. Olldroo has posed a good question about why you are choosing grays. Looking at the colors you propose, I do not like the grays you mentioned with your Mega Greige. I think that the Mega Greige is a good color for your driftwood and stone look, but it will not live happily with the grays. I would propose the combination of Anew Gray (one shade lighter than Mega Greige) and Warm Stone (one shade darker than MG) or Accessible Beige with Tony Taupe. As an accent color, I prefer coral.
June 30, 2013 at 8:46am        Thanked by wisneb
wisneb
olldroo - thank you for your comments ... I'm embarrassed to report that my plants are faux, and going down to the family room :)
July 1, 2013 at 4:55pm   
olldroo
Oh, rats, wisneb, was hoping for some really enlightening advice. I have just totally restocked my indoor plants (I love a jungle look) just have to see how long these last.

Do check Carolyn's colour advice, she makes some great choices.
July 1, 2013 at 7:22pm      Thanked by wisneb
Need help on traditional door knobs, locks (bronze). Best brand?
Need help on traditional door knobs, locks (leaning...
Color challenge using red in living room
I have a collection of art glass with a lot of cobalt...
A trend that should end
Are there any interior design trends at the moment...
Chair to go with dining table
I can't decide if this chair looks good with my trestle...
Need Help - Window or corner cabinet? Take a look.
Hello All - Thanks for taking a moment to read about...