Living room layout
girlquestJune 29, 2013
We knocked out a weird half wall to make a bigger living room space. It's directly opposite the kitchen and the whole floor is one open space: kitchen, dining, living and "sun room"

Anyway I am wondering about floating the white couch or putting it on another wall, or in front of the closets which are wallpapered. We have a matching loveseat which I moved out. The favorite sitting spot for grandma is the wingback in the corner.

Thoughts? I'd like to also paint a big tree mural on the white wall as its a high open beam ceiling and not that cozy
Sharon
Hi, even though all of your spaces are open, you might like to consider defining them just the same. We can't see the kitchen as yet, nor a dining room so it's hard to give any specific thoughts. Floor rugs and lighting can be a good way to define areas. It's a great space to work with!
    Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 11:20PM
Stamps Design Services
When you have open concept using furniture and rugs to define each area is a good idea.... floating the sofa makes more sense than keeping all the furniture against the walls! Designate how you want to use the different areas and work from there. I am posting some images of what others have done in their open concept homes for you :-)
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 1:44AM
A floor plan would be helpful showing the living, dining and kitchen area.
    Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 5:30AM
girlquest
Sorry I don't have a floor plan.

Love those example pics. But how is it if your in the kitchen and looking at the back of the couch?

Here's a few more of the upstairs area, about 1200 sq ft on its own
1 Like    Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 10:38AM
girlquest
I think I like this better. Still have a side buffet and the red storage bench which I'm debating either in the room or back of the white couch.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 12:24PM
In closet area, put matching chest. Paint them a dark expresso color. Add matching tall 4 ft mirrors in a metal type frame. Should be 36" wide hang horizontally. 4-5" above chest. On top of chest add big bowls and fill with green and red apples. Put a small media in center, remove book case and add a TV. If not wanted. Add floating shelves. Place colorful pots candles, just a few don't clutter. Remove all small pictures from all walls. Place sofa facing wallpaper wall, keep area rug center it in room 6" from legs of sofa. Pull gold chairs into room place together with small table between. Get a very large coffee table square 36 or 40". opposite gold chairs also floating in rm add grandmas chair. With a small round table. You can use glass tables, or a very dark wood. Behind sofa add your red bench. On wall behind two chairs add a big 40x40 contemporary art, center behind chairs. That's all. In dining rm de clutter. On wall add another same size art to wall with three pictures. Add rust color print pillows to chair and sofa. Use you're whole space. Push furn back and towards center of rm. remove window covers you have, not working. Add a woven fabric panels to end of windows only. In black. Add black bamboo blind to windows. All should have same window coverings. Add 8x10 area rug under dining table. Does not have to match living area but same colors. Toys that are used should be kept in baby's room. At some point you should change out all chairs to a modern look. With a small contemporary print. You have that look going with sofa. Painting would warm the room up. Take pic of kitchen. Cabinets should be dark. Good pl to buy TJMax for panels, art. Area rugs, mirrors. Ikea for chest, coffee table etc. but TJ also has some. Some big potted palms in areas are a inexpensive way to fill up a room make it more homey. Don't be afraid of color.
    Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 10:01AM
I would remove hanging lights not centered and don't look right. Do you have power in wallpaper area. If so add a lamp on each chest. Black shade and a rust or gold base.
    Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 10:03AM
I see coffee table, that could work but paint black or just get bigger one new or Craig's list.
    Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 10:04AM
Just saw pics of yr upstairs. Those teal chairs would look nice dn stairs Chang out with gold ones. Love wood table, hate old hutch. Doesn't match house. Add side board instead in a black. Crate and barrel or west elm. Z Galleries and West Elm has your style. You have a lot going on. Did you just move in?
    Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 10:12AM
Living room layout dilemma
Hi All, I have problem with furniture layout and room...
John Origin
Need Help With Living Room Layout - getting all new furniture
We are replacing our old carpet with hardwood floors...
Jamie Novak
Living Room Layout Help - long, narrow, bad door placement
Help me figure out what to do with our new living room!...
tw256
Difficult living room layout - need help please!
I have what I believe to be a difficult layout situation...
kittybart
Living Room Layout help Needed! Open plan layout
Dear Houzz members, I have been struggling to come...
fili83
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
toatsmcgoats
New Condo
Need a little help, so far this is what in thinking: I...
Edwyn Ortega
Bathroom
Bath room walk-in-tub.
Marian Tschirhart
Would a round rug work?
Hi houzzers, I want to change this rug because I find...
jdavid10
Long, narrow dinning space?
We're building a house in which all the public spaces...
Sake and George