Need help with curb appeal. Want a sitting porch
Josh L
June 30, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I'm having trouble figuring out how to add curb appeal here. I want a nice sitting porch in the front of the house but really don't like shed roofs.

I'm thinking maybe a shed roof to the left and right of the door. And a gable roof above the door to add some character?
I'd like a large enough porch to install nice posts with stone wrapped at the bottoms.
I can't loose the trees and they are about 10' off the front of the house. They are absolutely beautiful in the summer when in full bloom.

How wide is a porch that would utilize a swing with enough path to walk by? 7-8'?

I can provide additional photos if needed. This one is an older one taken in the winter so you can see the house without the trees in the way.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Josh L
Being a split level doesn't help much at all. Prevents the roof where it meets the house from being too high and interfering with the windows. This is what's causing it to be such a pain.
June 30, 2013 at 12:16am   
PRO
DMH DESIGN
Josh, if code allows, it may be possible to create a porch that addresses your swing and entry at the same time. It appears that you have 10' or so btw. the windows, so if setbacks and lot coverage can be met, creating a porch, with a gable roof in that space, utilizing a local designers skill is your best bet for managing your expectations, while meeting permit criteria. Happy Houzzing.
June 30, 2013 at 1:17am     
PRO
DMH DESIGN
Check that, more like 16'
June 30, 2013 at 1:18am   
PRO
Dytecture
Shed or gable roof would be the most conventional options for this type of houses.
June 30, 2013 at 5:31am   
PRO
VizX Design Studios, LLC
The walkway can either be 3' or 4' wide and the sitting area can just be a larger stoop that is 8'x10' which would give you enough room for a few chairs.
June 30, 2013 at 5:43am