3/4" wood floors or engineered wood floors
Karen Severson Buus
building a new home and am hearing good about both engineered and 3/4" wood floors can't decide what is best for the midwest
BeautifulRemodel.com
Hi Karen

Both a great choices, presuming you're referring to engineered wood with a solid wood wear-layer. Generally speaking, in areas that experience high humidity and / or heat, its safer to use engineered flooring. I've used both extensively over the past 20+ years and have had no problems with engineered wood, some with solid. Those issues have been slight cupping, checking, cracking etc.

One of the benefits of solid wood over engineered is that it can be "finished in place", giving you a very different look than the typical pre-finished engineered wood. However, its hard to beat the durability of many pre-finished engineered finishes as they're typically aluminum-oxide based. Most in-place hardwood floor finishes are typically polyurethane based.

- Steve
June 30, 2013 at 12:59pm     
Oak & Broad
Our engineered floors can be stained/finished in place and have 4 or 6mm wear layers for several refinishings just like a solid floor.
May 15, 2014 at 12:13pm   
Leslie Brooks
I'm putting in solid. I live in Iowa. Solid is just so lovely! But when we finish the basement, engineered. :)
May 15, 2014 at 2:15pm   
jkh5804
We are getting ready to install new wood flooring. I really wanted solid, but where I live most of the local stores don't even carry it. I was told (by multiple flooring sales staff) that it is because most of the foundations where I live, including ours, are slab. I was told that the contractor would have to either build a subfloor above the slab or if he "floated" the wood, he would have to use a very expensive underlay that would drive up the costs about $1000. If we didn't do one of those methods, we would void the warranty. We were also told that it could be glued to the foundation, but that in our area foundations move a lot and that we would have a lot of problems with a glued floor. In the end, we gave up on solid and our engineered floor will be installed next month. I will also mention that it is very hot where we live, so Steve's reasoning might be at play, too, but no one else mentioned it.
May 15, 2014 at 2:27pm   
bgfuqua
hot and/or humid, go with engineered.
May 15, 2014 at 2:48pm   
Cancork Floor Inc.
Midwest has humidity swings (hence the tornados) which makes it the ideal setting for high quality engineered (like Oak & Boards). Site finishing (installing unfinished engineered then applying stain/finish after installation) will offer the best of both worlds = it will look and feel like solid hardwood, but it will have the added stability (doesn't swell/shrink as much as solid) of the engineered floors. If you work with site finished floors you do not have to have the bevelled edges...unless you want them.
May 15, 2014 at 3:17pm     
J Design Group - Interior Designers Miami - Modern
When humidity plays a factor it is generally recommended to have engineered wood. Please remember that the top is solid wood so its all good.

J Design Group, Modern Interior Design Firm in Miami, Florida - Contemporary Miami Interior Designers http://www.JDesignGroup.com
May 15, 2014 at 7:05pm     
Michelle Scott for Ethan Allen - Laguna Niguel, CA
Slab vs raised foundation? If it's slab foundation, then you should use engineered.
May 15, 2014 at 7:11pm     
Oak & Broad
Better engineered than sorry, especially if its a site stained and finished engineered floor. Best of both worlds!
May 16, 2014 at 7:01am   
CNL woodflooring limited
Enginnered floors is much stable than solid wood flooring.
Summer very hot ,winter very cold, then engineered flooring.
If the climate is lovely and nice, such as San fansco, the solid wood flooring.
Jatoba ,walnut, oak, Asian walnut , acacia are good choices.
Birch is not a good option
May 19, 2014 at 7:43am   
Drape-gate
Due to a Houzz issue and amount of comments on the...
80's ranch needs update
What color would you suggest for the clap board ?The...
Living Room Arrangement help!
We moved into our house about a month ago and I just...
Ugly fireplace dilemma
Plan on tearing out the nonfunctional fireplace, but...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...