What to do on the mantle?
betherskine
I recently purchased the 5 metal heron sculptures for our new coastal Carolina home. They are the perfect scale and color for the wall over our mantle, but now I am not sure what, if anything, I should do with the mantel itself. I am planning on adding some canvass art in the large space to the left. I tend to be a minimalist, but do I still need more? I would welcome any ideas.
That's enough if you want to keep the herons as the focal point.
June 30, 2013 at 7:45am   
Mark
I would replace the white mantel because it is too new looking and too white. You need a a nice chunky piece of weathered wood for the mantel.
June 30, 2013 at 7:49am     
Oh, that is a great idea Mark! Right now the white is a bit glaring.
June 30, 2013 at 7:52am     
carolins
I'd make the mantle darker so that it doesn't stand out so much.
June 30, 2013 at 7:53am     
carolins
Hey Mark, great minds.... :-)
June 30, 2013 at 7:53am     
Imaginations Design Studio/Cheri Brichetto Designs
You need to make the mantel disappear, currently it is where your eye first lands. I would either paint it a similar color to the stone or replace it with stone or a rustic piece of wood.
June 30, 2013 at 7:55am     
betherskine
Thanks for those suggestions.....however the white mantle now matches the fairly extensive trim and beams in the rest of the room and I'm wondering if painting one lone feature a different color would make it too isolating?
June 30, 2013 at 7:59am   
Bringing in a new material like a stone would not make it look isolated but intended.
June 30, 2013 at 8:04am     
giniaginia
omg... its great. Savana Whalen is an artist in McClellanville, SC are those made by her? She has work in Litchfield and Charleston galleries.
They are awesome and do make a statement but you need some more things equally as awesome! Not sre what? but you will find it:)
June 30, 2013 at 8:08am   
Jean O
I think a wood mantel would bring out the brown bricks in the fireplace... The white doesn't seem to fit in... it doesn't match the white trim at all... all you see is the mantel stick out... I never even noticed the white trim until you said something... if anything, the white trim will come out with the white mantel gone... I have the same exact fireplace... and my mantel is wood...
June 30, 2013 at 8:09am     
Sarah Bernardy Design
The fireplace stonework is very heavy in proportion to the mantel. Replace mantel with a chunky dark wood that has more weight and possibly even a wide rustic corbel like leg to wrap down the sides of the stone. This will anchor the wall so that your herons can sore above.
June 30, 2013 at 8:18am     
HI -- Love the Heron art pieces , but could you rearrange a bit ? Move the smallest one to the right a little and move the big one that is on the bottom right to the left a little, to fill that empty angled hole in the middle . Yes, I totally agree you need to tone down the white mantel or better yet replace with a drift wood or stone mantel piece . I think that the fireplace really needs to be framed more with a wide frame on the sides and top(mantel) all in one piece with mitered corners ,instead of having something just plunked on the top .And then you don't need to have any other décor on the mantel . Are you sticking with the color on the walls or can we help you with that also . The color is pretty but perhaps dated .
June 30, 2013 at 8:19am        Thanked by betherskine
www.newjerseyaccents.com
How about something like this:
June 30, 2013 at 8:43am   
For some reason when I see this picture above, I now see a shotgun leaning up againt the fireplace...;)
June 30, 2013 at 9:02am     
HI -- Ok, now I'm choking on my breakfast laughing !!!
June 30, 2013 at 9:13am     
Jenny Clagett
I agree. Rearrange the Herons. Pick the dominant color of the stone and paint the mantel or switch to wood - stained or driftwood - as others have suggested.
June 30, 2013 at 10:31am   
Very nice…I think, besides the good advice Mark gave you about the mantel, you should bring the great blue down closer to the mantle and a bit left of center. The two smaller herons should be out there on their own because it this were true to life the size would indicate they were flying farther in the distance.
June 30, 2013 at 10:38am     
Lou Vaughn Remodeling
Bring more of the outdoors in with a natural wood piece forsure! Maybe add some natural wood wainscoting to give the effect that one is seeing the birds out of a very large window! http://LouVaughnRemodeling.com
May 28, 2014 at 3:24am   
wall length mantle...what to do?
My mantle goes the whole length of the wall...leaded...
What should we do with this firelplace/mantle?
This is a fireplace on one side and a tv hole on the...
What to do with mantle shutters?
They are so distracting to whatever I put in front...
Extremely colorful rug, what do with walls & mantle? Help!
My husband bought several rugs while stationed in Afghanistan....
I bought this awesome mantle ... now what to do?
I'm about to renovate our home. We have a large brick...
HELP THIS ROOM PLEASE!
This room is all wrong. I was obsessed with this zebra...
What should I do with the wood paneling?
I'm having trouble deciding whether to paint my wood...
exterior question!
I dislike the color of our brick, it is very pink looking-...
Cocktail Table Search
Where can I find a table similar to this one? Square...
Off centered windows and bed placement?
Hi, I am decorating my first home and am struggling...