HELP! Small living room - need ideas on how to arrange furniture.
moniquemaw
I am wanting to replace our couch. It seems too big for the room, it is uncomfortable, the backs too high for my 5ft. frame and I have to sit with back to the arm to see tv. The room is rectangular in shape. I will try to give layout (approx). The living room is the first room you walk into through the front door. Facing from front door this is how it goes. Wall to right is 10in from door opening (door opens against it) wall is approx 11 ft deep. 11 ft in facing wall as you come in has approx 55 in. The the rock fireplace starts. It is about 66 in wide then you have 18 inches till the opening that goes to kitchen. Opening is about 59 inches. Then 19 1/2 to the corner. Then you have 70 inches down left side of room to a single window of approx 41 inches. (Includes framing around it) then you have from other side approx 25 inches to corner. Now I am on wall the door is on (making 360* turning scanning to the left from front door) there is approx 35 in of wall then there is a double window of about 78 inches. From window there is about 28 inches and your back to the front door which is about 41 inches (again counting trim) This may not make sense at all but I have no clue what to get rid of or where to start. I am adding pictures below to help make sense of it all. Thanks for any help! You all certainly helped with my small bathroom!
moniquemaw
More pics. Kinda went in order of how I described it.
0 Likes   June 30, 2013 at 9:54AM
kaca1029
I think you need a light color for the couch and arm chair - there are some nice child/dog proof . Also consider replacing the floor lamp with a hanging one in thar corner. It will help with size as opposed to having heavy dark items on the ground. Check this one out from Company Store:
http://www.thecompanystore.com/barrel-pendant-hanging-lamp/72016.html?dwvar_72016_color=NATURAL&start=1&q=Light&cgid=cs-home-decor
1 Like   June 30, 2013 at 10:04AM
moniquemaw
Kaca1029: do you think I need a smaller couch? I am trying to figure out if the furniture would work any other way.
0 Likes   June 30, 2013 at 10:21AM
marniejo
Try moving your sofa perpendicular to where it is now so that the back of the sofa creates a defined entry, with the low bookshelf behind it (great spot for keys, mail, a lamp and accessories. Move the large chair in front of the window where the sofa is currently, with one of the side tables next to it. Finally move the armoire to the corner where you currently have your chair. Would it fit there? A small coffee table and eliminate one of the side tables.

I would ultimately consider smaller furniture. Small apartment scale sofa and two accent chairs would be nice, in lighter tones (at least for the sofa).
1 Like   June 30, 2013 at 10:46AM
njmomma
*
0 Likes   June 30, 2013 at 10:53AM
moniquemaw
The room is longer than it is wide and I don't think the couch (this couch) would work. Maybe a two cushion couch. I'll start measuring!
0 Likes   June 30, 2013 at 10:55AM
njmomma
The amoire is too large for the space would you consider putting the t.v. on the bookshelf and all the components in the shelves. Another option, the t.v. over the fireplace?

You need to streamline what you have in your space. Less is more.
1 Like   June 30, 2013 at 10:57AM
moniquemaw
That is a good idea, if my husband would go for it. It is actually a sofa table and it has become a catch all for magazines and such. It does have the surround sound box in it. I'll just have to figure out where to put that in the house because he won't get rid of it! Ugh.... Lol
0 Likes   June 30, 2013 at 11:00AM
njmomma
Could you use it as a bar in another area? bedroom? man cave?
0 Likes   June 30, 2013 at 11:04AM
moniquemaw
This is a view of what I see while trying to watch tv. My back is to the arm of couch, very uncomfortable! He always sits in the recliner. We hope to build (out in country) next year so whatever I do I need to keep the cost to a minimum.
0 Likes   June 30, 2013 at 11:04AM
njmomma
If you are willing to use drapes to cover the windows, or window, put the sofa table in front of the window with the t.v., that would give you another wall to work with.

I can't see the whole room, I just guessing right now. Could this work?
1 Like   June 30, 2013 at 11:07AM
moniquemaw
Our house is so small we hardly have room for anything! I am gonna do some measuring and see if he will let me relocate that cabinet and do something different. It actually matches the bedroom suite. All furniture was bought when he remodeled this house his parents used to rent out. (While he was a bachelor) he says it is solid wood and it is good furniture, that there is nothing wrong with it. (Secretly, I hate it!)
0 Likes   June 30, 2013 at 11:11AM
marniejo
I like the book shelf idea, just make sure that it is stable. The fireplace would probably put the tv at an awkward viewing height and you would have wires to deal with (not always practical). Really, you could even just try to move the tv to where the chair is and the chair closer to the entry (sharing the side table with the sofa).

I have an old sofa made by Room and Board that I used for years while living in smaller spaces. Wonderfully built, small arms (which take up less space), and a low back. Good things to think about when you decide to purchase new furniture. It is hard to believe the space that arms and backs of sofas and chairs take up both visually and literally.
1 Like   June 30, 2013 at 11:13AM
Need help arranging furniture in small living/dining room space
Hi Fellow Houzzers, I am trying to figure out the...
kimmieh
Need help with living room furniture & arrangement ideas.
We have just purchased an antique home - circa 1810!...
wendmill
How do I arrange my furniture in a small living room
Without the option of buying new furniture, I'm having...
home_maker11
help with arranging furniture in small living room :)
well i almost received all my new furniture, it's a...
Christelle
Blue monochromatic living room- how to???
I'm stuck. Color pallet is the pillows. Don't know...
wearpink
Anyone have a suggestion for tile and mirror for this bathroom?
New bathroom at our beach property on the Northumbrland...
camf
Request design advice from the Pros for an inspiring exterior!
Here is my colonial stucco home. I am changing the...
kellychipley
Need help choosing kitchen cabinet colors and counter tops
I had this idea i floated out to my capenter about...
eegborge
Kitchen cabinets and a 10 foot ceiling.
Our ceiling is coffered so one wall of our kitchen...
aimless07