Living room furniture decision help
Prince Todd
This room is furnished with slipcovered furniture that a stager I hired has loaned me. I now have the opportunity to purchase at a great price. My next house if, when this house sells will be a California very early 1900s bungalow. Shall I go for it? Coffee table is mine already. Thanks!
lcgrcondo
It depends if you like the look of slipcovers.i find them too casual....too rumpled looking. If you like the look, sort of a French country casual.....then you should buy it.
June 30, 2013 at 6:33pm   
If you can purchase at a great price, buy them! There must have been a reason the furniture needed to be covered up to appeal to the masses. You could break up the set and use individually in other spaces.
June 30, 2013 at 6:38pm   
suzanneth
Is it comfortable? When you sit, does a corner of the cushion pop up (a sign of cheap cushions) or do you sink so far you have trouble getting up? Both are bad signs. Look at bottom of pieces - is dust covering intact? Are support straps and springs in good condition. What would the furniture look like without the covers. Just mismatched upholstery or badly worn? The rounded arms and general shapes look like this was as set. It looks great to me - I like lots of white but if you wanted a different color, keep in mind that well made custom slipcovers cost almost as reupholstering. BTW, Nice coffee table :-)
June 30, 2013 at 6:57pm   
Prince Todd
Having trouble posting pics right now. Darcy- my original furniture was moved to family room. Trying to post ic as you might remember from posts past.
S- looks like the chairs are newer than sofa. No name but in great condition under. Muslim I think. Down back cushions and just flight raising of corners, firm seat. Very comfy. Sofa is by Century. Appears older, again I believe canvas or muslin material. Softer cushion but no raising of corners. I think I'm pretty set on chairs though :)
Thank you about table. Made of old Italian parquet flooring.
June 30, 2013 at 7:46pm   
sondramartina
Do you like it? Do you like slip covered furniture? I agree with lcgrcondo.
June 30, 2013 at 7:46pm   
Prince Todd
Hi Sondra- I do like them. I want my next place to be comfortable. I will be moving from a larger Tuscanish home to a smaller CA cottage built before 1920. My hubby would like leather...help! My fave room is in my idea book titled Ballard sofa quatrine? I can stare at it forever. I am more relaxed these days!
June 30, 2013 at 8:04pm   
Blue
Absolutely do NOT buy anything until you get to your new place. Think about how many times you get to a new home and nothing really fits in right. Wait til you get there then shop for the right furniture for your new space. I've ended up getting rid of entire houseful of furniture piece by agonizing piece and it ends up being much more expensive.
If you still love it after you get to the new place then buy it. Never buy something because it's a great deal
June 30, 2013 at 8:11pm     
Prince Todd
Blue-did my hubby tell you to say that? :)
Yes, I see your point. We have moved so many times and each time I think it's final and buy things. I think after this move (if our house sells) I stay put! I am so into my houses but can't really make mine as I always seem to have to decorate for the masses. Haha just realized I'm not on my therapists couch! If I was I'd probably sneak peek underneath to see who made it!
June 30, 2013 at 8:24pm   
Loom Decor
Laurie - who is the manufacturer of the pieces? If it is a well made brand, I say go ahead and purchase. Even if they don't work perfectly in your new space, you can always use them until you find the prefect pieces, especially if they are a great price. Slipcovers are incredibly versatile as well - you can always have new covers made in fabric that coordinates with your new decor. You could also just have them upholstered regularly (you could even do one in leather to make your husband happy). Also, keep in mind that recovering is typically more economical than purchasing new pieces (again, especially if a well made brand).
July 1, 2013 at 8:18am      Thanked by Prince Todd
She who hesitates is lost, but you don't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire. What's the rush? Is she going to sell them to someone else and remove them from your staged setting? Have you been to her warehouse? She might have something else you'd like that would be perfect in the bungalo once you get there. Perhaps when you are ready to consider buying for the new place, she will be a source for you. I'd be concerned about getting the wrong size. If it looks like a fit in your present home, the chances are it won't be in the smaller bungalo.
July 1, 2013 at 8:25am        Thanked by Prince Todd
Prince Todd
We were chatting about the fact that showings have slowed down. I am only listing through August and staging with her through that time at this point. She was wondering if I didn't sell if I wanted to return her items, rent monthly or I could purchase. I have plenty of time to decide. I just stress! She will happily work with me in the future and I think will be a great source. Upheaval is tough...
Hi Loom- the sofa is Century and appears older than chairs. Chairs are in great shape maybe Ballard Designs (no label) but she uses them a lot. If I drive by bungalow later will snap pic :)
July 1, 2013 at 10:04am   
Prince Todd
:) sorry, she uses Ballard Designs not the chairs a lot!
July 1, 2013 at 11:14am   
Prince Todd
Hi @decoenthusiaste! I found photos of my bungalow. We have a house showing at our current place today so fingers crossed. Unfortunately, we are touring colleges so my son is tending to it and our 3 dogs, 2 birds, cat and extremely warm temperatures.
July 5, 2013 at 7:16am   
Laurie - looks really cute and full of potential. Love the ceiling height in that bedroom! Let's hope you get an offer on the big house today. I remember running up and down the coast trying to find a college. I was enrolled at Berkley when I realized that the courses I was going to take wouldn't transfer properly to the school where I'd be getting my degree. I called a friend in the Air Force there and we spent two days checking out schools before I found what I needed at San Francisco State. Have a good trip, and maybe with your mind at rest over selling the house!
July 5, 2013 at 7:31am   
Help with living room layout/furniture decisions!
Hi, I'm moving into a rental and need some help with...
Need help with living room chair decision
Is it OK to buy two different accent chairs instead...
Spinning my wheels and can't make a decision on this living room, HELP
Can't pull these two rooms together to make then into...
need help with decision re living room wallpaper
I am considering a feature wall with the paper choice...
Should I remove these cabinet doors?
We are painting the hardware in our kitchen this weekend...
Tap water or bottled water?
When you're thirsty, what do you grab - the tap and...
Help me re-style the buffet please
This antique buffet also serves as a foyer piece and...
Displaying Hardcover vs. Paperback on Bookshelves
I would like to add built-in bookshelves to my unused...
Which wood floor should I choose?
We are painting our den paneling Bleeker Beige by Ben...