Granite help
Angela Shortreed-Mota
I have white shaker cabinets and a dark oak island, no uppers (attached similar kitchen)We are choosing if we should go with the builders standard granite (black sao) on all cabinets or upgrade the island to Victoria Falls quartzite or black forest leathered granite. Or choose a white standard quartz for the perimeter and the black standard for the island's cost of upgrading the island (81/2 feet ) will be approximately $2000.
Angela Shortreed-Mota
Here is the standard. Also, our kitchen being built and a similar one
June 30, 2013 at 10:52AM   
Angela Shortreed-Mota
Help please. We already paid $5000 to upgrade to granite.
July 1, 2013 at 10:29AM   
Aggie dba Aggie Designs
If anything, I would do dark on the perimeter, and light on the island and white subway tile on the entire wall. And schoolhouse fixtures.
July 1, 2013 at 10:36AM        Thanked by Angela Shortreed-Mota
Granite Grannies
Upgrade the granite. You will regret going with builder's grade granite. There's a reason it's cheaper. Are you building a custom home or through a development? If you are going with a custom home, then it's probably a good idea to upgrade through your builder. Just make sure you know who they are using so that you can confirm that you will get a quality installation and help down the road when you need it. If you are building in a development, then I highly recommend getting the cheapest option on the counter through them and upgrading after everything is finished through a higher quality company. Sometimes upgrading through your builder can be more expensive than going outside their subcontract agreements. However, this all depends on who is building your home. The granite will be the single most noticeable feature of your kitchen. It's not a good area to settle for less.
July 1, 2013 at 11:38AM        Thanked by Angela Shortreed-Mota
Amy Stanley
What are you choices through the builder there must be others that are not upgrades?
July 1, 2013 at 11:47AM      Thanked by Angela Shortreed-Mota
Ann
I like the idea of victoria falls with the dark colored island and the black sao on the light colored perimeter cabinets. I love leathered, so I'd consider having all of it leathered - you can have any shiny granite or quartzite leathered for around $600/slab.
July 1, 2013 at 12:40PM      Thanked by Angela Shortreed-Mota
Contrast is right - don't match light to light below and dark to dark below as suggested by builder. Use the engineered gray and white quartz on the dark island and go as plain as possible on the back wall, with a honed finish plain black if that is the builders standard (you may have to ask for honed instead of polished but it should be no additional cost)
July 1, 2013 at 1:10PM      Thanked by Angela Shortreed-Mota
Angela Shortreed-Mota
We are building through a developer. Too late to go back to a standard laminate. We have already paid $5000 to upgrade to a standard granite. The only standard that fits my black, white and gray color scheme is the black sao, there are afew other choices but they are all very spotted and I don't like that look. There are no whites. Also, there are a few standard solid white and grey quartz. The black forest leathered that is pictured is a level 4 upgrade and the Victoria Falls is a 5. I wanted super white but it is a level 8 (way too expensive).
My husband hates honed finish :(
July 1, 2013 at 1:25PM   
Casey Tomlinson
Darker would be better if it in case is my kitchen.
July 1, 2013 at 1:28PM      Thanked by Angela Shortreed-Mota
Ramona
white quartz would be my choice for sure. i don't like granite, but black for contrast on the island will look good inho

quartz is a superior product although i have read of white quartz yellowing. make sure you research the quartz you are getting and make sure of the guarantee.

granite is sooooooooooo yesterday. lol. anything that needs sealing shouldn't be preferred.
July 1, 2013 at 1:34PM        Thanked by Angela Shortreed-Mota
Granite Grannies
You're going to be spending more to upgrade through the builder. I've had many clients get that money back to upgrade with a separate company. You'll get more for you money if you can make that happen. And granite is as yesterday as wood, grass, metal and other natural materials. A Black Forest and Victoria Falls will look great. Don't cheapen your kitchen with man made countertops. They are not worth the cost. With the granite at least you will have some motion and pattern rather than flat black or white quartz. Granite will last longer in the home as well.
July 1, 2013 at 1:38PM        Thanked by Angela Shortreed-Mota
shelleyuk
We are also about to do our kitchen with white shaker units. I'd have white quartz if we could afford to.
July 1, 2013 at 1:43PM      Thanked by Angela Shortreed-Mota
Angela Shortreed-Mota
When we were at the showroom we were thinking of the black sao on the back wall (white cabinets) and the black forest leathered with a sealer on the island (dark cabinets) then I got home and got scared. Realized everything I have pinned is light. Worried that it will look too black. All appliances are stainless, lots of natural light and white walls. I was thinking of a white subway tile, or marble, or grey glass, or marble and glass pencil Backsplash.
July 1, 2013 at 1:44PM   
Angela Shortreed-Mota
My husband 's choice
July 1, 2013 at 1:52PM     
Granite Grannies
That looks great!
July 1, 2013 at 2:05PM   
Ann
I love the black forest leathered but not on the dark cabinet. What about all white cabinets (island too) with black forest on the island and black sao on the perimeter? - just a thought. Will the floor be wood?
July 1, 2013 at 2:12PM      Thanked by Angela Shortreed-Mota
Angela Shortreed-Mota
Too late to change cabinets. Yes, the floor is wood. Picture above, the dark one on the board I LOVE the black forest but agree it may be too dark on the island. The hubby may be painting the island soon LOL
July 1, 2013 at 2:16PM   
Angela Shortreed-Mota
My choice
July 1, 2013 at 2:23PM     
Aggie dba Aggie Designs
Do the black forest on the perimeter with white subway tile all the way up. do the Dreamy Marfil on the Island. not crazy about the back splash, a variation on a classic subway would be my choice. Or the same Dreamy Marfil (looks like carrara from here) tile, in a subway pattern.
July 1, 2013 at 2:27PM        Thanked by Angela Shortreed-Mota
Ann
I definitely think your choice is the right one, Angela. I'm afraid the island could look quite dark and a bit dreary with his choice and it that were true, it would detract greatly from the beauty of the special countertop on the island.
July 1, 2013 at 2:28PM      Thanked by Angela Shortreed-Mota
Nancy Walton
I like the black forest, it has interest and movement and fingerprints won't show on the leathered finish.
July 1, 2013 at 2:30PM      Thanked by Angela Shortreed-Mota
Rachel Prescott
I like the Black Forest leathered for all of it. The pattern will be different throughout just due to the natural flow in the granite. Keep the backsplash a simple, bright design...I like the glass tiles your hubby chose, but I think the white subway tiles will looks great as well. I have light cabinetry on the perimeter and a very dark stained island with dark granite and it looks fine. The thing to remember is that you need a focal point (which will probably be the granite), and you don't want your kitchen to be too "busy" with multiple shapes, shades, and patterns. I found a few examples, although they're not exact, maybe this will help you decide. Good luck :)
July 1, 2013 at 2:39PM      Thanked by Angela Shortreed-Mota
Angela Shortreed-Mota
We are going with the black forest leathered on everything. Thanks.
July 5, 2013 at 4:43PM     
rnhvn
Hello, I wanted to add that my husband and I have a lovely patterned "cold spring" granite around the perimeter of our kitchen and find that the darker and very expensive granite that we put on our island seems to ground the kitchen. We have had countless comments on how lovely the combination of the lighter perimeter and having the black granite (sorry cannot remember the name of it) on the island looks. Have no fear to choose to do this.
July 5, 2013 at 5:41PM   
Angela Shortreed-Mota
Done!
July 7, 2013 at 2:34PM     
Rachel Prescott
Beautiful Angela! I love your decision! Can't wait for you to post the final/finished pics! Keep us updated!!
July 7, 2013 at 6:56PM      Thanked by Angela Shortreed-Mota
Granite Grannies
Great choice! Can't wait to see it all finished. I always feel so invested after following a houzz discussion for a couple days.
July 9, 2013 at 7:11AM   
Angela Shortreed-Mota
Thanks for your help. We did our walk through yesterday and I LOVE the black forest leathered granite we choose. I will post a picture of the completed kitchen when we move in next week.
August 20, 2013 at 12:02PM   
Need help matching bianco romano granite with another granite color.
I've added new cabinets in my kitchen and want to match...
Same granite? Different granite? Kitchen island help needed
This is the kitchen in the house we just bought. Floors...
Help desperate for granite choice
Thinking about reselling and don't want to change tile...
Please help with master bedroom on a BUDGET!
I posted na week or so ago but think in my post was...
Want to update dining room - not sure if I should keep these pieces?
We have had my mother-in-law's dining table, 8 chairs,...
Foyer lighting
Does this large pendant look good as foyer lighting?...
Under cabinet hood or range hood ??
Please guide me what will be best option to put hood...
I need ideas for chairs to go with a table i fell in love with
Here is the table. Medium brown /w/ a golden swirling...