Yes or No on window backsplash

wolujewiczJune 30, 2013
I need input ASAP. I just installed this basksplash and not sure if it will work. I like the tile under the cabinets, but not sure about the tile around the window. It's not routed yet. It would be white grout for all of the tile. Should I rip it down before it is too late? Or should I keep it?
0825sam
I hate to say this but I would take it down. I think this look works when the under cabinet tile is simple and the window is a focal point (or it's all the same) but not with two different busy mosaics.
6 Likes    Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 4:05PM
Lkristine
Sorry, too busy, take it off quickly!
3 Likes    Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 4:06PM
The situation is worsened with a different size / style of backsplash on that window wall.
4 Likes    Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 4:10PM
kathleen MK
do you have enough of the backsplash tile to carry it under the window? it doesn't have to go past the cabinet edge. Beautiful Kitchen but the tile should match.
    Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 4:24PM
kathleen MK
If you ran the tile just under the cabinet to the window, the space between window and cabinet could be capped with molding from cabinets to make a tiny ledge.
    Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 4:29PM
Merry McMahon
I agree with Kathleen. This is too much and distracts from everything else - which I must say is lovely.
    Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 4:33PM
Designer Glass Mosaics
Definitely the tile around the window should come down or continue the undercabinet tile under the window to the same height. Also, you might want to re-consider the grout color and select a light gray (like Deloreon Gray) rather than white.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 4:35PM
wolujewicz
What a waste of money and time...
    Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 4:35PM
wolujewicz- In your heart of heart, you must have felt like it was not right, so look at it like this: better to have lost a little $ now than have to kick yourself everytime you looked at it. We all make those boo-boo's.
3 Likes    Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 4:41PM
Designer Glass Mosaics
Hang in there. The kitchen is beautiful!
    Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 4:43PM
wolujewicz
Thank you, everyone. I do, however, like the look of going up the full wall. Now to find some tile that would work... I'm thinking about all white thin tiles going vertically, like a waterfall. Not sure yet.
    Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 4:45PM
0825sam
Why not the same tile as the backsplash?
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 4:47PM
wolujewicz
I thought about that and may resort to using the same tile. I like the idea of attracting attention to the big window and enormous faucet, which is like a work of art.
    Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 4:55PM
Then you would be doing just the opposite- by bringing in odd tile will detract from the window and the faucet. I didn't even notice your faucet in the original photo.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 4:57PM
ruthmand
Honestly, stop with the tile while you are ahead. There is plenty going on here already. You have the beautiful countertop, the great tile backsplash that you should carry through under the window and what looks like a tan tile floor. Paint around the upper part of the window area and above the cabinets and wait a bit before you do more. A nice roman shade might look nice above the window if you feel you need more but that is something you can do at a later date.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 4:58PM
cj4401
If this was my kitchen i would use the backsplash around the window also. Just my opinion, love what you did to the kitchen by the way.
    Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 4:59PM
ruthmand
You are funny - the faucet is a work of art??
    Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 5:01PM
jillh20012
Wow, I would take it down quick. I love the cabinets. The rest is too much for my eyes.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 5:03PM
wolujewicz
I may go with the same backsplash. And yes, the faucet is impressive, standing at 27" tall.
    Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 5:09PM
sunnydrew
I will wait to see your finished tile job. I think it is great that you are doing it yourself. I wanted to ask about the appliance to the left of the sink- the 2 drawers? is that a dishwasher with "compartments"? can you tell me what brand etc. I wash dishes for the two of us at home and I would like "small dishwasher". thanks. and yes, I am glad you took down the second pattern of tile.
    Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 5:26PM
ruthmand
Ok, that's a BIG faucet. If you want something to stand out then keep the background simple. Let the faucet and the view speak for themselves. If they are that great your eyes will be drawn to them anyway.
    Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 5:31PM
Scott Design, Inc.
Consider removing the window trim, cut back the sill and continue with your backsplash tile around the window using a piece of stainless steel finishing edge. Use platinum grey grout. Your faucet will now take center stage without white trim distraction.
    Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 5:39PM
wolujewicz
Yes, that is a dishwasher and it is incredible. Here is the link...
http://www.designerappliances.com/dcs-dd24dut7.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product_search&utm_campaign=google_base&gclid=CK2OlOaHjbgCFcWZ4AodITAAjQ
    Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 5:42PM
wolujewicz
Interesting idea with the stainless trim. I'll consider it.
    Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 5:43PM
wolujewicz
I did a quick mock-up. Which do you like better?
    Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 5:56PM
Lkristine
Pic number 2.
    Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 6:02PM
sstarr93
Option 2, paint only. Are these new cabinets? If not, have you considered painting them a similar color? I ask, because their warm tone is quite different from the cool tones of both your backsplash and your flooring.
    Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 6:05PM
ruthmand
After checking your idea books, I see that you posted a photo of this same kitchen prior to doing the tile work. If you look at that original photo you will see that with the walls painted beige the white trim of your panes and window are not nearly as noticeable and the faucet and view come to the forefront. The dark background in the two options above accentuate the white to the point that one doesn't notice much else which is a shame as you have a beautiful kitchen. I urge you to please not put anything dark around the entire window area. Give it a rest for a while and see how you feel about it in a few weeks.
    Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 6:17PM
vjs12
Picture 2 but put the same tile backsplash under the window behind the sink and match the height of existing backsplash.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 6:25PM
maxdc
neither.
I would suggest just running the same tile backsplash across behind the sink and go part way up the window with paint above.
What bothers me is the area above the window that is so different in value to the paint above the cabinets. That is where my eye goes immediately.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 6:31PM
giniaginia
I don't like those little corner shelve on the sides of the window.
    Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 6:53PM
giniaginia
And change the knobs. not sure if that's in the plan.
    Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 6:56PM
If highlighting the faucet is high priority, why not put in a pendant light shining down on it?
1 Like    Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 7:21PM
Maguire
Surrounding the window in tile doesn't highlight the faucet, it highlights the window. Will the window need a covering or does it face private acreage?
    Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 8:10PM
wolujewicz
So I went with a brushed alum backsplash around the window and I absolutely love it! I would have went with stainless, but it give it a morgue look.

What do you think?
2 Likes    Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 5:44AM
yanashey
I agree with everyone else, use the same tile as the backsplash for around the window. Don't think of it as a waste of money, think of it as an opportunity for another project. The tile is nice, use it somewhere else-bathroom, laundry room, fireplace. Options are endless.
    Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 6:06AM
wolujewicz
Thanks, Yanashey, but the kitchen is now complete. I trashed the original tile I put up.
Here is the finished window closer up...
2 Likes    Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 6:29AM
a2themanda
Finished product looks great!
    Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 7:11AM
Kasper Custom Remodeling, LLC
I like it! The tile you originally put around the window was too dark, and didn't blend well with the backsplash. Your solution brightens the space and ties in nicely with the backsplash. Good job!
    Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 7:22AM
Yunfu HuanJian Stone Ltd.
It's looks nice now
    Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 7:30AM
ruthmand
Glad to see you went with something lighter and that you are happy!
    Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 8:07AM
Black Rooms. Yes or No?
Are you a fan of black rooms? What are your thoughts?...
Jeannie Nguyen
Backsplash: yes or no?
We are overhauling our bathroom, replacing the hideous...
leshleman
New Home Const Recessed lighting Kitchen assistance
Hello all, Looking for recessed lighting knowledge...
Travis Halfmann
Vent for tall ceiling.
We've been told that stove vent hoods generally reach...
flopsycat1
Wine Bar For My Living Room
Hi Everyone, I've gotten so many ideas from all the...
dezinewbie
Need design ideas for huge family room wall
Hi everyone, I need help in designing the huge wall...
Shannon De Luna
Master bedroom help
Working on our master bedroom. The paint color is...
skiwasser