Kitchen help
Alya Mohammed T
This is my very small kitchen .. I need some ideas to make it look better
yonube
Get a glass backsplash. It will reflect light and add color.
On top of the cabinets I would add glass objects, just a few, and lighting. Ikea has great options for cabinet lighting.

Good luck.
June 30, 2013 at 10:56pm     
Agreed, backsplash and accent color would help add some character.
July 1, 2013 at 7:39am     
Shannon Kirby Interiors
Why not get a rolling cart to hold the micro and other things on the counter then hand colorful plates to add punch to backsplash. Also paint by number art can be found at 2nd stores for little money. Fun to collect then. Pier 1and Cost Plus have lots of fun ideas. Send photo once you decide!
July 1, 2013 at 7:47am     
Alya Mohammed T
I liked the idea of the back flashlight and glass .. Will search for good materials .. But if it is glass would it be fine if there is an oven is it safe ?
July 1, 2013 at 11:06pm   
Alya Mohammed T
Backsplash ***
July 1, 2013 at 11:07pm   
parisgirl1970
Your glass back splash should be safe, glass is very strong--but to be safe, ask the dealer who sells the tiles or the installer. You don't have to get glass anyway. There are many back splashes out there. I'd take off the things off the counter- as much as you can, (to still survive). Many of us (ahem) don't realize we are using certain areas for a catch all place. I love the idea of Shannons rolling cart for misc. I don't know your favorite color, but use it to paint your kitchen in. That way, when you enter this room every morning you can't help but love your kitchen. Pick it up w/ new placemats and maybe a tiny vase (in the corner there) for some tiny flowers. I don't see a window, but maybe pck up the color w/ some cute curtains. I'd use those soffits up there for pretty things, I like. Statues, greenery, pots, colored vases, glass bowls etc. -whatever. I have soffits-- and that's what I do. Experiment! It's fun.
July 2, 2013 at 12:05am   
Alya Mohammed T
Okai i'll try to clear the counters but for the rolling cart where should it be placed .. Can i have some photos of that
July 2, 2013 at 1:23am   
Alya Mohammed T
There is a door in the kitchen that opens on a small tiny place outside which am going to use as a working place kitchen .. So i dont have a window , i guess vase with flowers would help
July 2, 2013 at 1:25am   
parisgirl1970
What type of lighting do you have then?
July 2, 2013 at 1:34am   
kakell
Hi!! Really need some ideas on how to arrange 2 single beds in L shape room for my kids? I got no idea yet..
July 2, 2013 at 2:35am   
Alya Mohammed T
One down light and three kind of spot lights
July 2, 2013 at 3:22am   
parisgirl1970
I ran a rope light kit (several together) along the top of my cabinets, and drilled a hole in the corner of one cabinet to bring the plug down thru the hole- (where it's un-noticable) and the effect is soft and so beautiful. I find those spot lights very harsh, (Stand under one -and you look 10 years older). I'd change the spot light bulbs to something softer if/when you can. .If you put some colored glass vases up there, the lights make them really sparkle. Maybe a multi colored rug by your sink?
July 2, 2013 at 5:18pm   
calikym
Why does the vent above the stove end before the top of the ceiling?
July 2, 2013 at 5:31pm   
bookworm202
What about painting a cheery yellow color on the walls, or a light blue? That might make the kitchen feel airier.
July 2, 2013 at 5:43pm     
Alya Mohammed T
Calikym this is a ready bought house and the kitchen was just like this and that what make me feel upset ..
July 3, 2013 at 12:45am   
cherylhow
If you're thinking about glass backsplash, check out Bedrosians.com. I just put in some subtle metallic-backed glass subway tile (it's their Manhattan series). Love it. Had to put our remodel on hold for 4 weeks while we waited for the tile to ship, but love it. It might be the favorite part of my kitchen.
July 3, 2013 at 12:59am   
jagood
Is the refrigerator on some sort of moving skids that will be removed? Are you planning to put a dishwasher in that open space next to the sink? You do have a small kitchen, but I think the materials look very nice, and there are some ways to stretch your space by expanding a little into other areas. For example, if you purchased a big wall unit for your living room that has cabinet doors as well as a space for the TV and other equipment, you could store your table china, table linens, and seldom used large items in it. (Some of the wall units also have a drop-down door that becomes a work surface, with a large storage area behind the door, This makes a great small desk area, or even a place for serving beverages or coffee, tea, etc.) A coat closet or other closet in a hallway can be utilized as a pantry for unopened food items in cans or packages. I'm also thinking that you have a lot of space above your cabinets, and there may be a creative and attractive way to use that space for storage of seldom used items, or perhaps to showcase decorative items like trays, vases, storage boxes made from natural materials, etc with rope lights used along the back to provide background light and light the ceiling with a soft glow at night. Or put real houseplants there - the kind that can thrive on low light. I also like the idea of backsplash tile, but in the meanwhile if you clear off your counters as much as possible, you could hang small art in that area to add some interest and color.
July 3, 2013 at 1:23am   
Alya Mohammed T
Chery i will check it out many thanks i hope they can ship it to middle east
July 3, 2013 at 3:46am   
Alya Mohammed T
Jagood hard to say that i cant place a dish washer because this place is for the washer (cloth washer ) and the other space is for the oven
July 3, 2013 at 3:48am   
jagood
Oh, I see. That makes it difficult to keep the counter cleared off because you need a spot for the dishes to drain and dry. But a kitchen, after all, is a work space and how it functions for you is the most important thing, so I think it is okay to keep those things on your counter tops that you need to use every day. Clean, neat but a bit cluttered is reality for a lot of people with small kitchens. Do you like to cook?
July 3, 2013 at 12:39pm   
Alya Mohammed T
I do like cooking but i hate washing dishes so am thinking seriously of a dish washer but the problem is the place
July 3, 2013 at 2:11pm   
jagood
Alya, since you have a dining table very close to the kitchen, is it possible to use the open space under the counter (that separates the kitchen from the dining area) for more cabinets? Then you might have space for a clothes washer and a dishwasher.
July 3, 2013 at 8:19pm   
Alya Mohammed T
Jagood i liked the idea .. I will try hope it works perfectly thnx if u have any similar photos please post
July 3, 2013 at 9:55pm   
jagood
I do not have photos. However, if you make the change you will have a u-shaped kitchen, which introduces the problem of hard to get to storage space in the corners. Is there an entrance to your living room other than through your dining space? how wide is the dining space? (I'm wondering if your dining table can be placed nearer to the opposite wall, so you have space to continue your cabinets a little further in a straight line into the dining space. If you did this you'd have to put in new counter top and eliminate the eating bar area completely. )
July 3, 2013 at 11:27pm   
jagood
You mentioned using a small space outside as a "working place kitchen". Do you have some sort of cooking stove out there? How does that space function?
July 3, 2013 at 11:30pm   
Jan Kane
I think you could make this kitchen look great. Add open shelf to to tops of the upper cabinets. It will help to make the space feel larger. Maybe some cabinet lighting in the top.
July 4, 2013 at 12:12am   
Alya Mohammed T
Jagood once i prepare it i will post a pic for it
July 4, 2013 at 3:53am   
Alya Mohammed T
Jan how can i add an open shelve to the upper cabinets ?
July 4, 2013 at 3:54am   
Kitchen help! Envisioning a rustic chic kitchen
My husband and I are in the process of building our...
Need help with kitchen! A lot of wood colors in this kitchen, too much.
My kitchen is a nice kitchen with an excellent layout....
OH LORD HELP!
My house was destroyed in Sandy. Finally trying to...
Redecorating new rental
I am beginning to redecorate my new rental and don't...
Do you sleep with blackout curtains?
Are you enjoying the bright nights? Although the shortest...
Kitchen help
I have lots of cabinets and they are from thirty years...
How to salvage something from this bedroom on a budget?
OK - so first off I know how awful this bedroom looks,...