Crazy corner sink and granite countertops
nwcaporale
We are looking to get new granite countertops, but have a crazy corner sink! I want to keep it in the corner (by the windows), but can only seem to find the weird two square corner sinks that can fit that space? Am I missing anything? Any ideas?

Also, what color granite and backsplash do you recommend? I like the warm, natural, earthy feel to a house. We were considering Giallo Nepoleone for the counters. Thoughts?
nwduck
I had a similar issue. As I recall, the issue in doing something radically different is that the counter deck needs support, generally from the sides of the cabinet base. I opted for a single basin sink as large as would work, with the garbage disposal offset in an opening on the upper (window side) right hand corner.
   July 1, 2013 at 5:48PM
   July 1, 2013 at 5:49PM
3 Likes   July 1, 2013 at 6:09PM
nwcaporale
Thanks! I had thought of angling the corner sink, but would prefer not to have to change the drawers. Would just changing the L-shaped door below leave enough space for a sink? That has been my worry.
   July 1, 2013 at 6:18PM
nwduck
Rather awkward, but I would open the L, get down there with a flashlight and take a look at how it is done now. Check the distance between the current supporting elements, and that might give you an idea of the space you have to work with before hitting the cabinet surrounds of the pieces with drawers.
1 Like   July 1, 2013 at 6:29PM
Garza Concepts
Instead of keeping the corner bring out the sink on a 45 degree edge. This is not to scale but it will give you an idea
2 Likes   July 1, 2013 at 6:47PM
nwcaporale
If we flattened out that corner and made it at a 45 degree angle. The distance of the flattened corner would be approximately 16 in. Is that enough space for a farm style sink? Would a small standard undermount two bowl sink or an undermount one bowl fit better?
   July 2, 2013 at 7:26AM
JDM Countertops, Inc.
Most apron sinks are pretty large. Not sure 16" would be enough. If you angle it, as suggested before, measure the distance between the two supporting cabinet panels inside. I think most standard sinks are designed to fit into a 32" cabinet base. You may need to consider a smaller single bowl if you want to get away from the design you have now. This one only needs 27" of clearance.
   July 2, 2013 at 7:37AM
suzanne_m
JDM I like the sink you are suggesting. The length is 27 in. What is the width? I will try to place it on a 24 in. corner to see how much the back corners of the sink are close to the wall.
   July 2, 2013 at 8:28AM
JDM Countertops, Inc.
The overall dimensions of the sink itself are 24"X18." It is a Blanco. Here's a link to the spec sheet: http://www.blancoamerica.com/inter/kt/HeilerPPMKatalog/hlr-system/USA/Sinks_Bowls/BLANCOVISION/Spec%20Page/441367.pdf
   July 2, 2013 at 8:58AM
suzanne_m
I drew the sink placed on the corner of 24 in. deep cabinet. It fits but barely. If nwcaporale places this sink 45 degree at 3 in. from the edge of the front corner of the cabinet, she/he would have 1 in. left from each side of the back corners of the sink to the walls. I think it still is a possible solution. There is room for the faucet.
1 Like   July 2, 2013 at 9:28AM
rinqreation
An undermount or drop-in sink would give the least problems considering the cabinet underneath. I understand you'd like the corner to be softer (45degrees), an inch or two extra beef should make it look rounder, without hindering the cabinet below.
http://sundaykitchenandbath.com/picture/kitchen%2064.jpg?pictureId=9439528&asGalleryImage=true http://www.holtams.co.uk/Images/kitchen%20sinks/stainless%20corner%20sink%202.jpg http://www.robincoates.com/Images/Beaconsfield/Flat%201%20Kitchen%201.JPG
   July 2, 2013 at 9:53AM
nwcaporale
Here's the sink with our new countertop! Plumber comes tomorrow to hook up the faucet, but couldn't wait to show you what we ended up with. Went with the biggest that could possibly fit without changing he cabinetry.
3 Likes   September 4, 2013 at 8:13PM
Maguire
Much smaller than your old sink, isn't it. Are you happy? Your granite is gorgeous.
   September 4, 2013 at 8:46PM
nwcaporale
@maguire: actually it is much bigger! The large bowl can fit a rectangular cake pan in it and it can be rotated in a complete circle! I'm so excited. It is also much deeper. Yes, I love the granite too. Now just the backsplash! :)
   September 4, 2013 at 8:54PM
Maguire
I'm happy, you're happy! I think it looks smaller in the photos because your old sink sat on top of the counter with its rim, rather than being set it. Well done!
   September 4, 2013 at 9:27PM
nwduck
I thought the sink looked smaller too, until I realized the actual wash area is likely bigger due to the shape. The edge-to-drain slope of the round sinks would have made the double bowls tough to wash anything of any size. Will file this away in memory bank! Looks great, nwcaporale! Isn't it nice to be happy, instead of coming on Houzz to get advice from something horrid????!!
   September 4, 2013 at 9:38PM
cathieg
Are you using a tile for the backsplash? The granite is beautiful and the sink looks fantastic. A small change and a huge difference...lovely.
1 Like   September 4, 2013 at 11:29PM
Painting my cabinets
I'm sort of at a loss. My cabinets have always been...
Need Help For My Small Condo Living Room!
I found a small sectional to fit the room, but I can't...
Help with vintage/retro lighting/ceiling fan in eat in kitchen?
We're getting ready to rip out our kitchen and start...
Help needed choosing pillows!
I just received my new couch and armchairs but I have...
Recommendations for carpeting in newly constructed lower level
Traditional style home. Shopping for flooring to go...