Fireplace surround and mantle
nwcaporale
I'm getting a gas fireplace put in to replace my unused old wood burning fireplace. I would like to get a new surround and mantle. I'm thinking of some kind of stone and a wood beam mantle? Thoughts on what kind of stone? Suggestions are appreciated!!!
Here is one idea.

July 1, 2013 at 6:34PM     
HI -- There are some amazing molded concrete surrounds now that look like fine stone . You should do a search and see what comes up . Just the raw concrete is very on trend right now also if you want a more industrial or rustic look. Maybe check out antique shops or architectural salvage places . You might find something interesting like a Victorian or cast iron surround or something stone from a French castle .
July 1, 2013 at 7:00PM   
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
- It seems like you might want it to be a little rustic, especially if you're thinking about a rough-hewn beam.

What kind of fireplace are you installing? It looks like the clearances are a little tight with your existing cabinet work.

Can you take couple steps back and take a photo of the the whole wall so we can imagine what some stone and a beam mantel might look like with everything else?

This project should be a nice update for your room!
July 2, 2013 at 6:48AM   
nwcaporale
We are looking at the Heat and Glo Slimline 550 trs.
July 2, 2013 at 7:08AM   
nwcaporale
Here are the fronts that we are choosing from. We're leaning toward the Aero Front. I like the Chateau, but don't want the front to take away from the stone(?) surround. I envision that to be more the focal point. I don't see any benefit to having doors that can open. What color??? Maybe that depends on the stone chosen?
July 2, 2013 at 7:15AM   
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
- The Halston front looks more like a "real" fireplace without being a little fussy like the Chateau can be.

You might try something like this:
July 2, 2013 at 7:41AM     
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
- I'm a little concerned about the clearance to the bottom of the shelf, but you can check the SL-550TRS manual for that. You might have to raise the shelf a little.
July 2, 2013 at 7:43AM   
JDM Countertops, Inc.
What about considering a stunning stone (quartzite or onyx) slab to be the focal point? Something like these:
July 2, 2013 at 7:57AM   
VC Studio Inc.
Concrete is very versatile and it looks great with wood, stone, glass, and metal. A quick picture search should give you plenty of ideas.
I'll attach a couple of fireplaces we've done recently. There are better photos from after completion on our Houzz page but this is all I could access from here.
One uses a wood mantle and matching built-ins. The really tall one used a slab of granite set in the middle for interest.
July 2, 2013 at 4:46PM     
VC Studio Inc.
The computer or web site was acting up earlier. The comment with pictures was loading when I left. It looks like only the comment went through.
I'll attach a few pictures now.
The last one (flat/flush with stacked slate) was still waiting for a glass shelf with a radius edge.
July 2, 2013 at 11:22PM   
Help with coffee table
Hi. I want to replace my coffee table. Can you please...
Need some color -!! Design help because I'm a mess!
So we bought an old farm house and have modernized...
color help with monterey taupe hardie siding
hi, i have a modern looking house (see pic in white)...
Dated Living room
Do I paint my dark wainscoting? FYI it's real wood....
My living room
We recently painted our living room gray to match the...