Fireplace Makeover-Faux Stone
Lucianna Samu - Color and Design
July 2, 2013 in Before & After
I painted this fireplace in my 220 year house to look like old stone.
Jeannie Nguyen
How awesome! What a creative way of transforming the space around the fireplace.
July 2, 2013 at 9:27am     
Annette
Very pretty!
July 2, 2013 at 12:45pm     
ieatmon
beautiful!!!!
July 2, 2013 at 12:51pm     
hammerhugger
Very nice, can you tell me exactly how it was done? I have a long bar/counter where the underneath (where the stools slide in) needs something like this.
July 3, 2013 at 4:17am     
Such talented painter!
July 3, 2013 at 5:10am     
lamaisonbleu
What is the paint color/brand prior to the "Old Stone" look? Thx!
July 3, 2013 at 5:52am     
yvonne51
Please Could I get the details on how you did it I would like to do the same thing to mine. I think this is wonderful.
July 3, 2013 at 7:29am     
jackim7
JackiM- LOVE this! We have a fireplace that is all brick. It was that dark, orangey color that I hated. My husband was insistent that I not paint it. So, I drastically diluted white paint and sponged it on with a sea sponge to make it look more aged and lighter. I loved it until I saw yours! I think I see another transformation coming about! LOL.
July 3, 2013 at 7:55am     
Lucianna Samu - Color and Design
Thanks for the nice comments and inquiries. I will put together a how-to on this project in the next week or so. I'll be back!!!
Thanks again. Lu
July 4, 2013 at 5:17am     
hammerhugger
Well msmliss, I guess I know what I would like YOU to be.............someone who keeps negative opinions to herself!
July 4, 2013 at 11:01am     
msmliss
You're probably right. Perhaps you'll forgive me...
July 4, 2013 at 11:13am     
KMC Elevation
Would it not be better without the shelf and paintwork and just an interesting colour to set it off? There is a lot going on, better to keep it simple?
July 4, 2013 at 11:24am     
Barbara Griffith Designs
The faux paint is wonderful..but the mantle piece..not so much..what is on the front of it..and the firebox is great in another environment...I thought it was a 200 year old house??? The total look is off. Sorry..this site is about advice not just warm fuzzy feelings.
July 4, 2013 at 11:37am     
Lucianna Samu - Color and Design
Well, well, well. Cane in from my 4th if July fireworks display to my own personal one right here on Houzz. LOL!
Hard to respond to all the above but the simple answer us that this is a bit of a departure and a little flight of fancy. It obviousky is nit fir everyone. lol
There where reasons for this design choice that are too much to get into right now.
Love the debate and take NONE of it personally. Misliss all is good. Hate, love, dislike verb, noun.... It's only language and often the nuance gets lost on the web.
Here us another fireplace I did in the LR of this same 210 year old house. This one was done from scratch using bricks that we salvaged while doing this complete renovation (not restoration!!).
Happy 4th and off to watch John Adams!
July 4, 2013 at 6:26pm     
msmliss
Dear Ms Samu, thank you, you are MOST KIND; I, too, look for the nuance. Well now! This other fireplace room of yours is most cozy! I like it very much! Thanks for sharing it. Going to give it a "thumbs up."
July 4, 2013 at 6:40pm     
dappel47
Like I said - I'm new to this site, however, I gathered that people were asking for ideas/opinions on what they could do for a particular room that is not completed..... not opinions on a finished product to be criticized by those that may just have different tastes. If I'm wrong... this is not the site for me. I want ideas or suggestions on how to make something look better, create more space, or perhaps even a color scheme.... but opinions on a finished product I can do without simply for the fact "that its finished". Considerable time, energy and finances go into every project and the best that someone can do is criticize? I try to live by what I was I was taught when I was much younger.... If you don't have something nice to say.... Say nothing.
July 5, 2013 at 6:29am     
hammerhugger
I am new to the site too dappe147 and was appalled by the remark. It is not for me either ......if anyone would look at the original post, no opinions were asked for. I was not going to post again but I am not posting to any one person, just in generalities. Even if a room is completed, unless an opinion was asked for, I would not comment negatively. I also try to go by the same thing.......".If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all" I think Samu was being extremely gracious but after this will not try to defend anyone. As for Barb's snarky coffee comment to me, it is very unprofessional, I must say.
July 5, 2013 at 7:15am     
dappel47
I wish you luck in whichever direction you choose. The creator of the fireplace was very gracious and very non-chalant about the responses. A person of character that apparently doesn't allow negativity to affect them. Nice! I've personally given entirely too much time to this - but we just celebrated July 4th and the "I'm proud to be an American" rang out on every facet of media....so defending someone when you think they may be negatively impacted is noble. Anyway, best of luck to you and the designer of these fabulous fireplaces!
July 5, 2013 at 7:42am     
msmliss
Thank you, Dapple47, for your empathy, having once found yourself in similar shoes and having felt the blows of stones...and thanks for your apologies, which I gratefully accept and offer the olive branch of no hard feelings for the kindred spirit we share. In my book, you show yourself to be honorable and of good character. I'll stand with you any day of the week. Thanks again, and I truly hope that your day and weekend is lovely, too.
July 5, 2013 at 11:54am     
catieb
dappel47 and hammerhugger - yes, there is a part of this website that is devoted to posting dilemmas and asking for help. there is also a section to post "before and after" used by many who graciously share their wealth of knowledge and experience. This was posted under that heading. Samu, if i had either the time or the patience, I would love to find a place to locate this solution for a client!
July 15, 2013 at 6:22am     
Gloria Haley
The entire fireplace wall done in a black granite, very sophisticated and striking, that same shaped wall with fireplace in a model home.
July 15, 2013 at 1:38pm   
Anna Shum
Where did you get that glass door?
July 15, 2013 at 6:19pm        Thanked by Lucianna Samu - Color and Design
298overdale
Where did you get your fireplace
July 16, 2013 at 2:10pm        Thanked by Lucianna Samu - Color and Design
luducklu
I loved your interpretation of the fireplace.. It's very innovative and beautiful! Thank You for sharing with those of us that love this site. GOD BLESS AMERICA..... AND YOU!
July 17, 2013 at 4:39pm        Thanked by Lucianna Samu - Color and Design
Lucianna Samu - Color and Design
Thanks again for everyone who looked at this fireplace. Love all the discussion. Here is a link to another Fireplace makeover in the same house.

July 24, 2013 at 6:36am     
luducklu
Thank You for showing the room with the 220 year old mantel. I must say.... You have a very good expression of all of your decorating ideas, it takes a very brave person to undertake such a major project! I am also impressed with the flow of your room and the serenity that I feel while viewing such a tranquil space.
July 24, 2013 at 1:32pm     
Gloria Haley
you aced it
July 24, 2013 at 7:42pm     
Teen girl trying to decide furniture layout
Hi, I just got my own room ad am trying to decide how...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
I would like to ask you for an opinion of my paintings
It would be a great honour to invite you to my art....
Study Update Suggestions
Hi. I am going through my home room by room and updating...
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
Okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...