need help with table scape in dining room
Judy Harrison
I am at a standstill. I need table runners for my dining room table and not sure what to look for. Do I need plain ones or colored or pattern? And what else would look good on this table besides the flatware. Thanks
(colors are gray, black, yellow, white)
I think I would lean towards a silver table runner. You could set the lemon vase on a mirrored tray.
July 2, 2013 at 8:01AM     
Sterling Kitchen & Bath
Agreed, some sort of silver/gray runner would tie it all together!
July 2, 2013 at 8:06AM     
Judy Harrison
Thank you...it is close to what I was thinking. Do I need a better center piece? Perhaps 2 more apothecary jars?
July 2, 2013 at 8:06AM   
Think in 3's
July 2, 2013 at 8:07AM      Thanked by Judy Harrison
felixgrantham
I don't think you need a runner. Apothecary looks lonesome. It looks like it might be too tall & obstruct view across the table. If you keep it, I would remove the placemat below it. Maybe relocate to sideboard?

If you've having company, just do a low arrangement - all yellow roses would be beautiful, or daisies for a more casual vibe. Toss out 4 unscented votives in clear holders - et voila!

For an everyday centerpiece, I'd just do a low rectangular piece with fruit or real plants such as ivy. Or some crystal candle sticks (5) - varying heights & designs w/ tapers in them.
July 2, 2013 at 8:31AM      Thanked by Judy Harrison
Judy Harrison
Thanks all for the great suggestions!
July 2, 2013 at 9:05AM   
bevballew
If having company you could use a table runner to place casserole dishes etc. on it. Keep centerpiece low with company. You can add little vases with flowers in them in front of each place setting, low votive candles scattered or in the center, maybe colored napkins with cool napkin rings. I saw this and did this...the styrofoam balls, cut in half and add flowers by pushing the stem in the ball. A bit expensive but just beautiful.
July 2, 2013 at 9:22AM      Thanked by Judy Harrison
bevballew
You need placemats!! You need the color or pizzazz with placemats. That will finish it plus some items as I suggested above.
July 2, 2013 at 9:23AM     
Judy Harrison
I know it's hard to see but there are yellow round placemats under the plates. Maybe I should have used rectangle placemats instead?. Also, do you have a picture of the styrofoam ball idea. Sounds so pretty!
July 2, 2013 at 10:09AM   
handymam
I am really not liking the round placemats... I think maybe rectangular or a tablecloth. And while I love the lemons, I don't like them in the jar for this table setting. However, a low try piled with lemons and some pillar candles would look great. You could tuck in some lemon leaves or other greenery if you'd like.
July 2, 2013 at 10:23AM      Thanked by Judy Harrison
Genevieve
I have found a design for a table runner that I plan to make for my table ,its quilted, safe for those hot bowls that you set on the table and wonderful to just look at it on is own, its a spiral table runner ,here is the idea of it ,if you sew you can make one or you could get someone to make it for you , this way you could choose the 8 fat quarters required in the fabric of your choice or check on Etsy if they have them .
http://dianeloves2quilt.blogspot.ca/2011/11/spiral-table-runner.html
July 2, 2013 at 10:27AM        Thanked by Judy Harrison
Judy Harrison
I agree with the rectangle placemats which I could see the minute I put the round ones on the table. I am going to trade the round ones for square one. Thanks for your help. Also to Genevieve I love the spiral table runner!!
Thanks again.
July 2, 2013 at 11:29AM   
bevballew
I would agree rectangle placemats. You could possibly use both, the round and a rectangle. Everything is yellow so you need another color. Even little vases with daisies might work. Or something purple. I don't have a picture of the styrofoam balls. Lets say the size of a basketball or three grasp fruits. Cut in half. It has to be the floral ones that absorb liquid....so maybe not styrofoam. Place in a container that is low yet can hold a liquid. I used carnations. So it looks like a ball of carnations. I keep a folder of table ideas. Another one is bubble wine glasses. Fill half way with water, add colored glass stones on .the bottom and a floating candle. Bother pic I have in yellow is two vases with yellow roses or another yellow flower. Scattered as a runner are some of the yellow flowers interspersed with pretty lime green leaves some lemons and several low bowls filled with the flowers taken apart and the petals in the bowl. Pier one Imports has great little things that can add to a table. Or simply three candles on the same height pedestal equal distance. Perhaps the candle can be a green or white to have as an accent color. I look through magazines and rip out the pages of table settings I like. Backyard .flowers can work also! Please share your progress! This is fun!
July 2, 2013 at 11:34AM        Thanked by Judy Harrison
bevballew
Michaels has the foam balls or a florist shop. Target has pretty candles.
July 2, 2013 at 11:36AM      Thanked by Judy Harrison
indianpatti
I would use 2 tablecloths for a formal dinner .... yellow on the bottom, and then put a smaller white one on top (as a "diamond"shape), leaving each yellow corner sticking out.
July 2, 2013 at 11:58AM      Thanked by Judy Harrison
A Crew of Two
Yes the placemats are the wrong shape, but I think a table runner would be nice. Black or silver candle holders. Maybe some branches with leaves to create some texture. It is hard to tell, but I would add a water glass as well. CSL Tour 2011 Gilt Table Runner by Chilewich Hyacinth Metallic Runner Turned Wood Pillar Holders
July 2, 2013 at 12:13PM        Thanked by Judy Harrison
Judy Harrison
Thank you Kelly for the suggestions and the pictures. This was a huge help!
July 2, 2013 at 12:21PM     
Judy Harrison
Wow thanks all for the wonderful suggestions! I love all the ideas!
July 2, 2013 at 12:31PM   
sharpkl
Could you do two runners crosswise and two rectangle placemats on ends? Pier one is a great place to find these.
July 2, 2013 at 12:37PM        Thanked by Judy Harrison
Judy Harrison
I did think about 2 runners crosswise! Great idea for the rectangle placemats on the ends. I am off to Pier One, one of my favorite stores1
July 2, 2013 at 12:39PM     
July 2, 2013 at 12:41PM        Thanked by Judy Harrison
indianpatti
This is what I meant by diamond shape ... put yellow tablecloth over entire table, then lay a white tablecloth the way the red one in this picture is laying:
July 2, 2013 at 12:46PM        Thanked by Judy Harrison
Judy Harrison
Yes I see what you mean Patti! Love the idea!
July 2, 2013 at 12:55PM   
Judy Harrison
Genevieve thanks! What a pretty table scape!
July 2, 2013 at 12:59PM   
Judy Harrison
Still looking for unique stemware and flatware too!
July 2, 2013 at 12:59PM   
Annette
If you like a runner, I would pick something like this. You could coordinate with window treatments. http://www.onlinefabricstore.net/decor/drapery-fabric-and-supplies/drapery-fabric-by-manufacturer/waverly-bedazzle-silver-lining-fabric-.htm
July 2, 2013 at 1:08PM        Thanked by Judy Harrison
Ambiance at Home
See the attached image. We staged a home in Minneapolis, and something like this might work. Adding a silver table runner is a great idea.
July 2, 2013 at 1:46PM        Thanked by Judy Harrison
jcorn1
Are you looking for a tablescape for a special occasion or for everyday display?
July 2, 2013 at 1:54PM     
Judy Harrison
jcorn1 ...Mostly everyday display.
July 2, 2013 at 2:01PM     
Judy Harrison
Love the staging Ambience at home!
July 2, 2013 at 2:07PM     
bevballew
Genevieve. Just what I was talking about. The napkins look like the ones I got from Pier One Imports.
July 2, 2013 at 2:48PM     
ideas for dining table centrepiece/scaping. help pls
Hi Guys, I recently purchased the white candle stick...
Need help with dining room table size to fit an odd shaped room
My dining room is also my entry. It's 16.5' x 10' to...
Need help on size of chandelier for my dining room table
Dining room table is 82"L x 45"W. Is it best to get...
Need help with dining room table placement
I can't figure where to put a dining room table ....
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Need Suggestions, Please!
I am looking to purchase an area rug for this family...
Still working on this art niche, lol!
Please see comment below for my current thoughts and...
Which color carpet with gray walls? (Bedroom)
Painted my bedroom Behr's Pewter Mug (medium gray)....
How to clean off grout haze from tiles
Just finished tiling the entire house! used a plank...