Ugly posts!
melissam79
How do I remove these ugly posts on these pony walls without making too much of a mess? I know there will be some repair work afterwards.
Covering the posts would be less messy.
July 2, 2013 at 9:01am     
coralle
Hello! Since your room looks lovely traditional why not entwine artificial stems and florals around the columns.... And perhaps paint columns darker so as not to stand out so much?
July 2, 2013 at 9:04am     
winterriver
Cut each post in half so that you can remove the top and bottom pieces separately. Be gentle.

If you're lucky the boards across the top were put on after the ceiling was finished, and you will only have a couple nail/screw holes in each to fill.
July 2, 2013 at 9:16am     
swimbikepuke
If they're just decorative, which they appear to be, you should be able to just knock them out. It will be a little messy, but to repair, you'll want to put some wood filler in the screw holes left in the half walls, then sand and paint. Spackle the holes left in the ceiling and paint. You'll need to be careful with the ceiling because it looks like your ceiling is textured, so if the texture doesn't go underneath the supports, you'll have to have that portion of the ceiling textured to match and you will probably have to hire that out. The other option would be to replace the pillars with something more attractive. I think decorating them will look busy so I personally would not do that. Below are some pillars that I think would look nice in that space.

Traditional Family Room

Kipnis Architecture + Planning

Valentine Street Residence
July 2, 2013 at 9:17am     
erasistible
No twining flowers. I have only seen people just bash them out. You could cut it in the middle and wiggle it apart?The wooden plate at the top may be screwed into the ceiling and the screws may be hidden by the post. Hope so as then it wouldn't be messy to remove. Glue would be another story.
July 2, 2013 at 9:18am     
greymom
Agree about not decorating. That would draw more attention to them. Especially if the style isn't what you like. You could keep them and build around them to achieve the look in the pics shown above if you wanted. Also, I wouldn't go fake plants where people can see/touch. Never works well. :)
July 2, 2013 at 9:29am   
Pedini of Atlanta, llc
Do you really need that large opening to a hallway? If you closed the opening a bit and made a nice arched opening to the hallway you would get two nicer size walls in the living space to have art or furniture. The hallway seems to be taking away from the living space as opposed to adding to it.
July 2, 2013 at 9:48am     
erasistible
If the living room is small, seeing through to the hallway would visually expand the space. If that is not the case, it may be a good idea to change the opening.
July 2, 2013 at 9:54am     
Genevieve
Where I live now they got rid of the pony wall all together . You can take the posts out and will need to do some repair to the ceiling and walls , you will also need to paint the ceiling . From what I can see here it doesn't look that bad ,if its just the post that you don't like change them with something different but please don't twist any vines or flowers on them ,
July 2, 2013 at 10:10am     
July 2, 2013 at 10:16am     
nancyann0277a
Take small spindles out and put larger columns on each side. More modern looking.
July 2, 2013 at 11:19am     
greymom
Just to repeat, :) if you don't want the mess, you can build around the post to create the columns you want. I'm liking the ideas shown. I think they would update the look for you.
July 2, 2013 at 11:36am     
melissam79
Genevieve...
I love these columns! It may not be in the budget now, but I think my handyman could build. First though, I must have everything painted...kitchen, cabinets, ceilings and and also the formal LR/DR. I have chosen paint colors and am in the process of talking to paint contractors. Love the columns...need to figure out how to fit in budget! Thanks!
July 2, 2013 at 12:10pm     
Genevieve
I'm happy that you like them and looking forward to see that your project be posted when done.
July 2, 2013 at 12:46pm   
swimbikepuke
Trick: You don't necessarily have to "build" the posts. If you go to a place like HD or Lowes, sometimes they sell ready-made newel posts for staircases and depending on the measurements, you can use one of those. Just trim it out at the top and bottom.
July 2, 2013 at 1:17pm     
Brian Shelton
A 1x4 each side all the way across to header the ceiling butt to the wall or hold back at column have to plan for the crown I can't see where it would butt maybe just get a piece of 5/4 finger jointed and run it between the 3 sections. If you lay a pencil across the photo you'll see what I mean. You cold also get fancy on the exposed edge with a router and jig saw carved like look...if I lived close I'd remove them for you free put them in my house.
July 2, 2013 at 3:29pm   
Brian Shelton
Oh how you get them off whack the bottom with a framing or trim hammer then when loose grab it pull it down the 1xs will probably come with it.
July 2, 2013 at 3:33pm   
Brian Shelton
...but do it at the top hit the top then when it's loose pull up and twist to do as little damage to your seals itll come off easy its just trim nails toenailed then get putty and sand paper and san and paint for the seal.
July 2, 2013 at 3:37pm   
melissam79
Posts have been removed. The guys did such a good job of repairing ceiling and woodwork! Seriously would have never known the posts were there! I think the room really opens up without them. They also removed a pair of louver doors from the dining room into the kitchen. Again, with their repair work, one wold have never known the doors were ever there! Onto countertops and backsplash
July 25, 2013 at 8:16am     
abbyjean
Sooooo nice without them! GREAT vision for that area. Now that I know it can be done and look like this, I just might have this done as I have one small area in my bathroom with those SAME posts!
July 25, 2013 at 8:22am      Thanked by melissam79
bennnie
Great job! Looks fantastic.
July 25, 2013 at 8:27am      Thanked by melissam79
Rina
Wow. One giant leap for your living room.
July 26, 2013 at 7:29am      Thanked by melissam79
cluedin
Big improvement! Nice job. I have them in my house too and love them. I like how they define the rooms without closing in the space.
July 26, 2013 at 7:45am      Thanked by melissam79
erasistible
It looks so much better! Very nice.
July 26, 2013 at 9:20pm     
Sharon Charboneau, RESA Pro, Interior Stylist
You have come up with a great end result for little cost I bet. Looks clean & current.
July 26, 2013 at 9:34pm   
melissam79
Thank you all. I am very budget conscious but knew I could not achieve these same results if I were to remove the posts myself.
Certainly I could have removed them myself but definitely believe if one wants professional results, then hire a pro. I will post pics of kitchen when countertop and backsplash in.
July 28, 2013 at 2:34pm   
melissam79
Here are a couple of after pics...
September 27, 2013 at 4:30pm     
Need to brighten up dull kitchen
Moved in a year ago and now want to brighten up our...
Is Houzz a bit snobby about less expensive renovating options?
Not everyone can afford or wants to go with the most...
Large remodel - go tankless or keep existing hot water heater
Our current hot water heater will work for our addition...
Should I put a deck or patio in this space?
This is a log house with the original steps and cement...
Need a cheap way to update this pink bathroom
I just bought an old home badly in need of updating....