Your Suggestions for My Backsplash (and maybe wall paint)??

julie77777July 2, 2013
Your advice is requested please. I get a lot of light (east) in my kitchen and trim/doors/ceiling are white. Planning to use simple brushed nickel hardware and a granite composite sink (a dark brownish grey color Swan calls Espresso). Transitional style preferred. Kitchen is open to a casual dining area and entryway and small hallway, so lots to paint! The paint there now is PPG-Porter BeachStone (which they no longer make) - it's kind of a pinky-tan-beige which I like - but considering other light colors. Looking for LOW cost backsplash option; something simple and not trendy; timeless; and won't compete with countertop. I'm thinking 3"x6" subway tiles, maybe with an accent strip of glass mosaics, or not? Or?? Could really use help with some possible colors ---- for backsplash and for wall paint. I'm attaching photos of countertop material (WilsonArt HD laminate Winter Carnival 1874, cabinet style/color (maple Chesapeake by ShowPlace Wood, "harvest" stain), and flooring. Thanks in advance for any advice and guidance!
Granite Grannies
Love the floor. Backsplash is easier to shop for than floor tiles, because you don't really need anything high end. You're not walking on it, so it can be cheaper. See if there are any warehouse type tiles store around you where you can buy samples to take come and stare at in your kitchen. Honestly, for something like wall tile, lowes and home depot have a lot of selection, and you can buy a square foot of whatever you are liking and take it home to see if it looks as good in the house as it did in the store.
    Bookmark   Thanked by julie77777    July 2, 2013 at 12:49PM
julie77777
Thanks, Granite G! I suspect my backsplash will be mostly subway tiles of one color ... not sure what color. I need to paint in a couple of weeks (after old cabinets are taken out/before new cabinets go in) ... so I need to figure out what I'm doing with backsplash and wall colors. Any suggestions are appreciated......
1 Like    Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 2:13PM
julie77777
What color of subway tile should I use with this countertop and cabinet? (Also considered painted beadboard, probably 3 1/2 inch size, installed horizontally .... ?? But what color?)
    Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 8:26PM
madhousewife
I just installed this countertop yesterday, but with white cabinets. SW Ethereal Mood and Accessible Beige look good with it. With your darker cabs, I'd probably go with the Accessible Beige. I am putting in 3x6 white subway tiles for the backsplash. The countertop is beautiful and I want to keep the focus on that, but I saw some pretty mosaics in glass and stone that would look good as an accent strip.
    Bookmark   Thanked by julie77777    July 2, 2013 at 9:43PM
julie77777
madhousewife - Thanks SO much for commenting! I was hoping to find someone who had installed this countertop, but it's so new ... I love it! If possible, would you add a photo or two of the installed countertop?? What edge did you go with? I will definitely look at your paint SW paint suggestion....thanks a TON :) Hope to make it to SW very soon.
    Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 10:21AM
N.O.R,LLC
If I was you I would go with 12x24 and light Beige since you have enough color and you don't need to add more color to your kitchen
    Bookmark   Thanked by julie77777    July 3, 2013 at 10:46AM
julie77777
N.O.R -- Thank you for the help! 12x24 tiles? Not sure I'm understanding what you mean?
    Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 11:02AM
N.O.R,LLC
sure,I m saying its better you go with bigger size tile since you have dark color and your counter has different texture ,if you have 12x24 ' size tile or 12x12 you would see less grout
    Bookmark   Thanked by julie77777    July 3, 2013 at 11:47AM
julie77777
N.O.R. - Ah, yes, less grout would be nice -- and easier to do (I think). I am obviously new to this! Thanks a bunch for the idea and wonderful advice!! Can't wait to go look at wall tile!
1 Like    Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 12:57PM
madhousewife
Here is a verrry rough photo of what is going on with this countertop. I just snapped something quick while I was over there today so you could see the paint and counter together. We did the crescent edge. I didn't get to the backsplash today but when I get a chunk of it done tomorrow I will post a more "finished" pic for you.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by julie77777    July 3, 2013 at 7:36PM
madhousewife
Also, I used this countertop in a previous house as well. Here is a picture of it with white beadboard backsplash and the Accessible Beige paint I mentioned earlier. You can just see the paint under the desk area. It made a nice combination.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by julie77777    July 3, 2013 at 7:45PM
madhousewife
Correction--that was Antique Mascarello tops. It is almost identical to the Winter Carnival, though. I think the beadboard gives it more of a country vibe, so if that's not what you're looking for you may want to stick with the tile idea.
    Bookmark   Thanked by julie77777    July 3, 2013 at 7:47PM
julie77777
Hi madhousewife ....... Thanks! Actually, Antique Mascarello was in my top 5 choices :) Thanks for both of those photos! Really helpful. I do definitely like that Accessible Beige paint color.
    Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 2:44PM
julie77777
Any other comments from anyone on this "dilemma"?
    Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 11:36AM
julie77777
Hoping to find time to look at some backsplash tile in the next few days!
    Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 1:16PM
Best Tile & Wood
sorry, it seems to want to submit my last comment to someone else. this is not meant for Julie77777
    Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 1:47PM
Best Tile & Wood
Julie I wanted to let you know about Copper Slate. Should go very nicely with your counter.
    Bookmark   Thanked by julie77777    July 9, 2013 at 1:48PM
Julie
julie77777 can you post pics of your completed project? I think I finally decided on the winter carnival counters with revere pewter paint. Thinking about glass cream or beige colored subway tile for backsplash. Would love to see your completed project!
    Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 6:27PM
madhousewife
I had commented earlier and now have a finished pic of how the kitchen came out with Winter Carnival tops and white cabs/white subway tile splash/sunset cherry flooring
5 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by julie77777    September 24, 2013 at 2:34AM
AllAmericanAmy
Wow! Very nice job.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 24, 2013 at 4:56AM
ngravette
Hi there! I have a similar problem and was hoping y'all might post a few suggestion on my discussion thread? I just posted it today. Thank you!
    Bookmark   September 26, 2013 at 7:32AM
Chris Bening
Madhousewife - this is exactly what I plan to do in my kitchen update. Thanks for posting this photo! Julie7777 hope your remodel worked out.
    Bookmark   Thanked by julie77777    January 21, 2015 at 8:33AM
julie77777
Chris Bening - Yes, it worked out well. Though I am waiting on my husband to complete one final piece... (still)
    Bookmark   January 22, 2015 at 2:05PM
BackSplash suggestions, please :)
so we have our beautiful floors in and Friday they...
judyborlin
Suggest a paint scheme for my cute north woods cottage?
I have a small 850 sq. ft. cottage overlooking a lake...
eroell
Suggestions fo kitchen backsplash
My husband and I want to add a backsplash and repaint...
sejinshi
Help with backsplash color and flooring suggestions
Hi! I almost have a remodeled kitchen; one important...
R
Suggestions/ideas about how to soften up a dark backsplash?
I am building a new kitchen and decided to get a chance...
ngakopyan
Need new kitchen wall color after a kitchen facelift!
We just gave our dated (early 1990s) kitchen a facelift...
Joanne Owsiany
need help with storage room.
I have a very small storage room ,its about 6x5 SQF...
Bassil Kalil
Need help with chair choice!
Next step to room is the two chairs- what color and...
house2514
need help to add warm in an open plan living area
Inherited taupe carpeting, white walls and brown sofas....
leilaskye
What is the latest in sink faucets for modern design
I am re molding a 35 yr old contemporary home. The...
Kathryn@bozemanbrokergroup