Expand deck? Or add patio?? Ideas welcome!!
jen2207
Hi! I would like to make some changes to our back yard to add some additional entertaining space. I have an architect coming at the end of the month to look at options, but thought I'd ask you all for your ideas too.

Here are my thoughts so far:

1. Add a patio to the walkout lower level area with a fireplace/ pit. Perhaps flagstone, pavers or stamped concrete??

2. Or expand upper deck to wrap around current 3seasons room to end of house.

Things to consider:

-the house faces due north and does not get direct sunlight. Yard ok, but not right up to the house.

-we live in northern Illinois so I'm not interested in a pool as we would not use it at least 6-7 months out of the year. Not really an outdoor kitchen either.

-what can be done to improve the space under the deck (either existing or if expanded). Seems like such wasted space.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions. I'm curious to see what good ideas you all have.

Also, although we have not yet won the lottery.... We do have a fair amount of $$ available. As a reference point at our last house I spent $30k on the deck/hottub area. We loved it and hated to leave it. :(
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
You could do something like this 3D drawing we made for a houzz member facing a similar situation.
July 2, 2013 at 3:09pm     
Det Detta
Hello.. just a small input. Since you mentioned waste space under the deck... we have a similar deck and created an office / conservatory right under, and we can enjoy it in our cold winter months.
July 2, 2013 at 11:45pm     
jen2207
Oh wow that's beautiful!! Thanks for sharing
July 3, 2013 at 1:58pm   
jen2207
I really like the idea of expanding the deck rather than a patio off the lower level. I just think that I would use the deck level more as it walks out from out family room. I think maybe expanding the deck and then the lower Le el finishing the ceiling with lighting/fans would make that area more finished and usable too??
July 4, 2013 at 2:05pm   
jen2207
Like this ceiling
July 4, 2013 at 2:06pm   
sharpkl
Here is patio area under deck with tool up screens.

July 4, 2013 at 3:19pm     
sharpkl
Anther phantom screens for patio area

July 4, 2013 at 3:20pm   
sharpkl
Phantom screens (spell check ugh)
July 4, 2013 at 3:21pm   
Heynssens + Grassman, Inc.
If you expand the deck you are increasing the amount of "wasted space" under there. You already know how dark the rooms below the deck become. How do you feel about that? To enclose the space underneath as Det Detta did you will need to do solid, waterproof roofing under your existing deck, or change your existing deck surface to something that will shed water instead of letting in pass through the planks. A landscape architect can help you explore your options and the associated costs.
July 15, 2013 at 10:02am   
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
We already designed and built many decks with this capability .
July 15, 2013 at 10:14am   
jen2207
I just got the first draft of the plans today. We would expand the deck to include a rounded lounge area on the upper level. Then add rounded stairs leading down to a concrete patio with fireplace below.

Ideas/ questions

Concrete patio completely under the deck?? Make it a screened in porch?? Or landscaped greenery/ shaded?? I'm afraid the concrete would be expensive and I'm not sure we would use it as living area given the deck and patio have so much more seating/ lounging areas. But would it look weird to have it just landscaped under??

The drawings show the use of pavers, but I think I'd prefer a stained concrete area under the deck (and extended area) with a paver border? and then just use pavers in the fireplace area. My thought was that the pavers look busy in that large of a space. And then the fireplace area would be highlighted more?? Thoughts??? I'd love any other input!!
August 29, 2013 at 12:23pm   
Ideas welcome to expand the patio/outdoor living area.
We're moving into a new house and would like to add/improve...
Idea for expanding our patio space please!
Hi! We just moved into a lovely home that needs some...
Looking for deck/patio ideas
Any idea who makes this table and chairs or where it...
Trim for house Exterior
I'm about to side my house with Certainteed Clapboard...
Proud of your home?
Is there a particular room or spot in your home that...
What color should I paint this bench?
I am trying to do a "pick me up" in our mud room area....
Which way does this lamp go?
Base is the top, or is it right now?
Deep cleaning
How often do you do a deep clean of your entire house,...