Boring " tract home look"
alicenixon
We need a facelift on a budget...any suggestions about color and size of shutters as well as ideas for a new portico ? And/or change of brick color? Front porch addition? Any and all ideas appreciated. Hellllp!
westmanmarine
I like this house:

I would do more variety with landscape...maybe a slow growing/smaller evergreen tree (like false hinoki cypress), maybe a rhododendron (the 'Unique' is my favorite variety...has a pretty shape to it and pretty white flowers), some nice deciduous shrubs, maybe some grasses, etc.

I don't think your house color is bad, but if you wanted to change it, maybe go with a beige, or pull a grey tone from the bricks. You could keep shutters the same or paint black. Both would look good. If you enjoy gardening, you could also take out a portion of grass along the walkway (about a ft. on both sides) and plant annuals for added curb appeal, but that also would be added maintenance and you would need to change the flowers out a couple times a year, so you may not want to bother. Have fun. It's a cute place.
July 2, 2013 at 9:23PM   
alicenixon
Thanx for your great ideas Emily.
July 2, 2013 at 9:52PM   
Matt Patterson Custom Homes
What is your budget?
July 2, 2013 at 9:56PM      Thanked by alicenixon
victorianbungalowranch
I think the portico is OK. I'd get rid of the eagle or whatever it is in the center--if it is a lighted address sign, it just doesn't look right there.

Then I would consider changing out the sidelights and door to something more classic--all and vertical rectangles, no fakey muntins, half to 3/4 glazing, no Victorian type leading or etching. Then I would consider getting rid of the shutters on the second floor--not quite the right size--unless that would mess up the siding. And I would consider adding windows to the garage to break it up a bit, and more generous landscaping and some urns.

And maybe some lattice and climbing vines on the side of the portico to soften it up a bit, and a different color for the door, and some seating in front.
July 2, 2013 at 10:18PM      Thanked by alicenixon
Barnhart Gallery
If I could afford to do just one sort of major thing, it would be to change the yellow siding to shingles, your choice of the real thing or a really good "fake shake."
July 2, 2013 at 10:28PM      Thanked by alicenixon
alicenixon
thanks Matt, my budget is $15,000
July 3, 2013 at 6:46AM   
Judy M
Landscaping.
July 3, 2013 at 6:53AM      Thanked by alicenixon
caridiez
Here's a beautiful makeover on a home similar to yours.
July 3, 2013 at 7:02AM        Thanked by alicenixon
victorianbungalowranch
Bet that cost way more than $15,000, especially with the gable dormer, but her house need less radical changes, so I think a style upgrade is doable. A pergola to the driveway could be a nice touch though.

Just a thought, a Chippendale style "porch" above the portico could look nice and was often done for decorative effect. Putting a modified hip roof on it could help too. If you do rebuild the roof, beefing up the entablature (area above pillars) would be nice.

Real shutters would be nice, if rather pricey. Fake shutter dogs and mounting on the frame can be a compromise. A window box with trailing vines could help visually lower that little window, but would require diligent attention to look right.

I recommend the book "Get your House Right" to help you figure out the details. It puts a lot of emphasis on proportion in traditional house design. Takes some time to digest it all, but worth taking your time before plunging in and ending up with something that is not quite right. Draw or render it out to scale first--paper and digits are a lot cheaper than building materials.

If you don't replace the front door, painting it would help make it more visually heavy and substantial. The shutter color is rather nice, and I would consider using it on the garage as well. That would cost hardly anything.

Landscaping in general could do a lot to customize the house. Be worth to devote some $$ to adding some trees and a plan to develop the landscaping over time.
July 3, 2013 at 10:47AM      Thanked by alicenixon
alicenixon
thanks to all of you so far for all your thoughtful ideas... I'm digesting EVERYTHING. thanks for the book recommendation... Keep 'em comin' ...very helpful!
July 3, 2013 at 11:02AM   
Try a pergola porch across the front.

July 3, 2013 at 1:31PM      Thanked by alicenixon
K.O.H. Construction Corporation
Victorianbubalowranch had it right. You can order a replacement fiberglass door and sidelights and not have to change out the frame. A deep color with full light sidelights would add a pop to that area. I used the shutter dog system described before and it does make a big difference and paint them SW 6144- Dapper tan. Carriage garage doors with windows are good. Definitely look into landscaping, it can make or break the house.
July 3, 2013 at 1:55PM      Thanked by alicenixon
Silicon Valley tract home gets upgrade
The project involved architectural design services...
Modern Living Room fireplace update for Tract 1970s home
We live in San Diego in a typical 1970s tract home....
How To Update a 1997 Tract Home?
We are selling our large custom home and will be down-sizing,...
From Tract home to Retreat
Our clients purchased this tract home knowing that...
brighten and customize a tract home kitchen
We just moved into our brand new house and I'm fustrated...
Need help for this patio.
I would like to decorate this patio but not sure what...
Kitchen help please
My kitchen cabinets were installed recently and I'm...
Please help my house be irresistible... Curb appeal needed
Looking to sell and need some help in the curb appeal...
Need feedback on Proposed Plan remodel
Hi We are finalizing our plans for a remodel of...
Help us find this tile!
Our local tile store is out of stock and has a 3-4...