Living Room Nightmare
niksmom111
Help please! How do I make this room look 'put together'? The furniture has to stay in this configuration as the room is wide open to the kitchen. How do I make the tv look like it 'fits'? Rug...size and placement? Pictures...where, as they seem like they look odd centered over the sectional back because then they're not centered against the back wall...? Colors to add pop or blend with monochromatic? Coffee table...? Lamps/lighting placement? Any suggestions would be appreciated as it currently looks like the pieces were an afterthought or thrown together from donations to a college apartment... :'(
It does have a bachelor pad vibe right now. I can not see the wall behind the chair, could the TV work there and the chair where the TV is now? Maybe a photo of the room with that corner and the kitchen. Start with some throw pillows. You have lots of freedom with color choices. If you want a serene sophisticated look, go with silver and lavander. Bright and quirky- go with lime and orange. Figure out how you want to feel in the room first with the color and accent decor.
July 2, 2013 at 9:32pm     
claudynessa
hmm the rug may be too big for your space I think, or the position of it doesn't look quite right. You definetly need an accent color, maybe a light green accents and pillows. Something like this
July 2, 2013 at 9:37pm     
collettec
Lots of things you could do with this room as it's so neutral. I'd think about how you want the room to look and start from there. I would pull the television out from the corner and more away from the window on a more substantial television stand or chest. For that back wall, there are different things you could consider doing - one would be to wallpaper the entire wall as an accent wall. Another option would be to have a floor lamp next to the sectional and have art positioned on the wall over the sectional with the floor lamp as a divider. I think the coffee table could be more substantial and possibly wood. You could use art, a rug or wallpaper as a base from which to draw colors and style to start.
July 2, 2013 at 9:40pm     
houssaon
I think the rug is fine, unless you want to cover the whole area under the TV and the front of the chair. I would put big art over the sectional. It will actually help balance the TV. You could also put something centered over the other end of the sectional. I would go big and bold. Battlefield of the Mind- Modern Art- Color & Art Detail, World Map Watercolor Digital Art by Michael Tompsett, ABSTRACT ART 1 and ABSTRACT ART 2. A group of posters would be fun.

Where you have the TV is the best for viewing. Do you need an end table and lamp?
July 2, 2013 at 9:44pm   
doctornancy
You have a wonderful neutral palette from which to work. So you have MANY options, depending on the mood, style, and colors you desire. The brown and gray color palette I used is just one example. I suggest drapery panels to soften the hardness of the tv. Also, a larger rug with the front legs of both the sofa and chair resting on it will help anchor the space. Finish with artwork and pillows. It will be a lovely space.
July 3, 2013 at 12:25am     
Sharon Charboneau, RESA Pro, Interior Stylist
I basically agree with Nancy. The room needs colour to pull it together & give it personality. Lighting is lacking, so one thing you could do is place a sofa table behind the sofa with lamps on it. This would help soften the look & create some personality.....who uses the room and what for??? Start there & work forward to create your space.
July 3, 2013 at 12:46am   
Living room decor nightmare
Hello! I am new around here and I am SO excited that...
80's Nightmare....living rooms
Our Florida home is stuck in the 80's. We are getting...
HELP!!! Living room nightmare
Just moved into this house and had visions of what...
Living room design nightmare
I give up! I can't get this space to work! I've wasted...
L Shaped Living Room - nightmare continues
Hi I had placed this question earlier and got some...
Need paint color advice: black ceilings?
My wife and I are buying a foreclosure and having it...
Best color/type floor for this living room?
I just bought this house and have to rip out the carpet....
We cannot find a rug to save our lives.
I even switched up the sofa and added new pillow, curtains....
Please help me create a romantic bedroom!
I saw this quilt in the PB store, fell in love with...
design ideas for a very small house
I have recently bought a tiny house, that is in need...