Temporary or Sliding Wall Solution Needed
Dee Caffeinated
Looking for a way to close off these steps with access to the front door. Guest rooms are upstairs and need guest access to first floor allowed but limited (so a way to enter and exit) plus keep pets from going upstairs.

Here's the dilemma:
- no drilling or damaging the laminate flooring
- solution can be temporary or permanent depending on solution (sliding doors are permanent but can be pulled to side when guests aren't here)
- people need a way to enter and exit the area (some type of door?)

Thought of solid sliding doors but space is 8' tall and doors are generally shorter. Thought of sliding panels like drapes but pets can push right through these.
Install tracks on the ceiling.
July 3, 2013 at 5:44AM   
July 3, 2013 at 6:08AM     
Dee Caffeinated
Thanks for the links mysh75

I had seen some of these elsewhere in Houzz and doesn't seem like there's online ordering.

Might also add cost effective is important since this may not be a permanent solution...

Thanks for the links!
July 3, 2013 at 1:55PM   
grandeplan
the same stair gates that you use for kids would work fine. They don't need screws and would fit across your stairs no problem. Babies R Us or IKEA have cheap options or check out gumtree/ebay as you only need them for a few years with kids...
July 3, 2013 at 2:07PM     
grandeplan
Just read your brief again and seems you may need sight protection from guests? If security is not an issue you may get away with a screen
July 3, 2013 at 2:10PM     
Dee Caffeinated
grandeplan both good ideas also.
July 3, 2013 at 3:37PM   
mysh75
I have been searching the internet for my original idea and cant find it.. so here goes my explanation...
Originally I thought of the japanese screens, but on caster wheels to door frame height. That way you could take the to another room to use or for storage when out of sight without needing 2 people to move them through a doorway. Or, if they were only for one area, they could be almost ceiling height. For stability, you could have a few rings put in the ceiling and hooks on the screen side. That way if you wanted to get rid of the system later, you would only have a few screw holes to patch in the ceiling rather than a whole track. The rings I refer to are the same ones they use for kids swings to allow the chain to move. They have a heavy weight rating and should be secured to your roof beams not straight into the ceiling board. That way of someone falls or leans on the screens it wont rip half your ceiling down :)
July 3, 2013 at 6:21PM     
Dee Caffeinated
mysh75 what a coincidence! When shopping today I saw several screens and like the idea of securing it to the ceiling. To get a feel for the space closed off we might put boards up for a few days just to feel how the space is with something blocking the stairs. I have 8' particle boards and it sometimes helps me to feel the space to mock up a solution.
July 6, 2013 at 6:50PM   
Nancy Walton
May I ask why you want this? Are you running a bed & breakfast or a paying guest house?
July 6, 2013 at 7:27PM     
mysh75
Hi Dee
AWESOME! Glad you understood my gooble-de-gook! Trial run is ALWAYS a good idea as it costs nothing to test out the theory :)
July 7, 2013 at 2:26AM   
Need Suggestions for a Temporary Solution for our 'Mullet Fireplace'!
We affectionately call our two sided fireplace a mullet...
I need help to disguise cracked bathroom walls - temporary fix
Please help! We are starting rennovations on our home...
Need solution to sliding glass door in kitchen
Just had my kitchen renovated and am totally perplexed...
Sliding Glass Door Solutions Needed
Are these vertical cellar blinds? If so, where can...
A pretty solution for our temporary kitchen shelving
Hi! We have a small temporary kitchen shelf until we...
What kitchen style goes with octagon & red dot floor tiles?
We're buying this contemporary house built in the 80s...
Hallway
I have a tiny hall from which the stairs run up from....
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Breakfast nook????
I would really like to make our breakfast nook more...
Backsplash Help! 1916 Craftsman/Praire style home.
What style backsplash can you envision for my kitchen?...