Complementary colors

Melanie GrossJuly 3, 2013
Okay, can anyone tell me the actual complementary color of teal/turquoise? Here's my couch, it's not a true turquoise, or a true teal, so I am having a lot of difficulty.
ssplatt
Tangerine tango maybe.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Melanie Gross    July 3, 2013 at 6:08AM
ktk1961
Color could be off based on the lighting when you took the picture, or the way it shows up on my screen, but it looks more like a deep robin's egg blue or a peacock blue. Regardless, if you like color, try apple green. It's a great pairing that you see everywhere these days.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Melanie Gross    July 3, 2013 at 6:15AM
ssplatt
Ok let's visualize a color wheel with yellow at top, red down towards the left and blue down on the right. Opposite blue is orange..., the highest contrast color you will find. You are describing it as teal/ turquoise so not sure if it has a little greenish in the blue that I am not seeing. But if it is a blue that pushes a little toward green ( ie has yellow in it so pushes counterclockwise a little) the opposite color will also shift a tiny bit in the same direction..... Making it a slightly reddish orange. I am an artist and mix all my colors from the 3 primary colors so this is how I think....
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Melanie Gross    July 3, 2013 at 6:17AM
ktk1961
And ssplatt is right, too. Since blue and orange are on opposite sides of the color wheel, they provide a pleasant contrast to one another. The wood of your floors is an orangy-brown; notice how well they look together? And blue/orange or tangerine is a very popular color combination today, as well.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Melanie Gross    July 3, 2013 at 6:20AM
Genevieve
I like grey

Cape May Cobblestone Paint · More Info

Labrinth- (LBR-1013) · More Info

Shaggy Multi 20" Pillow · More Info
]

Are you painting the walls or are you just looking for pillows? I have chosen grey for the walls because it leaves an open door to other colours to be added to the room and compliment the sofa as well, the cushion that I have chosen is to show you how many choices you have in colours , I think that any coulr that you choose from it will compliment your sofa.
    Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 6:23AM
ssplatt
Did you mean complementary as in opposite? You can also consider analogous colors to pair with instead... a deep inky blue and a little green. I think that would be more classy. Then put a bouquet of flowers in orange on the coffee table with maybe a little orange figurine across the room for accents. Another color combo that is nice is blue and yellow. Let us know how it goes!
    Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 6:24AM
ktk1961
And, of course, if you prefer a more "quiet" palette, there's always blue and cream or white ... incorporating different shades of blue, if you wish.
    Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 6:26AM
ssplatt
The first pic ktk 1961 posted actually shows what I was describing. Analogous colors with a little accent of orange, the complement.
    Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 6:27AM
BeyondFrames
A softer combination would be ivory/cream or light beige, a tiny bit of red (deep dark orange red) and the blue in your couch
    Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 6:30AM
ktk1961
And, if you're more of a traditionalist, you've got a great foundation for a toile complementary fabric, perhaps as pillows and curtains. Mix in some yellow accents and pillows, and you've got a classic look.
    Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 6:31AM
BeyondFrames
Oh, ktk 1961 and ssplat were faster ! :))
    Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 6:32AM
Chroma Design
The true complement to teal is orange-red. When I use saturated colors like teal, I prefer a split complementary approach as it is more dynamic. In this case, it would be red and orange. It will give you a bold yet balanced look.
For a more subtle look, analogous colors are better and I really like the examples posted above.
Which scheme you choose is dependent on the statement you wish to make.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Melanie Gross    July 3, 2013 at 6:34AM
0825sam
I know color sometimes does not translate well on the monitor. Does this have any grey in it so that its similar to a slate blue? If so my couches are the same color and I have ikat yellow (I believe yellow ochre?) pillows.
Here is a small pic although my couch is looking more grey than blue in the photo.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Melanie Gross    July 3, 2013 at 6:35AM
Melanie Gross
Yes, the color does have a little bit of green in it. I had a piece of teal taffeta that I laid across the pillow to show the color difference. I just can't decide which direction this should go, towards the orange complementary color, or towards hot pink (which my daughter suggested). I have the teal taffeta in curtains in that same room with the couch and as long as they aren't right up against each other you can't really tell the color difference.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 6:36AM
Melanie Gross
the couch from a distance looks more like this color, but it's a chesterfield.
http://st.houzz.com/simgs/eaa22bd901d4266f_7-7970/home-design.jpg
    Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 6:40AM
Genevieve
I wouldn't go pink sorry! I would rather go chocolate brown .

In the Tropics Paint · More Info

dark chocolate CSP-270 · More Info

Willow Creek 1468 · More Info

Benjamin Moore Natura Paint, Orange Parrot · More Info
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Melanie Gross    July 3, 2013 at 6:41AM
Melanie Gross
on that color wheel picture, the teals that are sticking out, the couch would be more like not the darkest one but the next one down. So that means I would choose the second one's down on the other ones sticking out? I like orange and red.
    Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 6:48AM
Nancy Walton
No, you could go any one of the colors on the wedge. As you can see, a nice soft coral would be one choice. That's about as close to hot pink as you would want to get.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Melanie Gross    July 3, 2013 at 7:01AM
Chroma Design
Melanie- yes, stick to the "second one sticking out" for the red and orange. As you move in the wheel it is a higher tint, as you move out of the wheel it is a deeper shade. When they are all on the same level moving in and out of the wheel it is called having the same value. Keeping the same value is more fool proof but you may vary the value.
I hope this helps.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Melanie Gross    July 3, 2013 at 7:08AM
Vivian
Paint color strips are a good tool when you use them as planned. Take a cushion into the local store and find your sofa. Its place on the strip (second from the top as example) is its hue. You can go monochromatic by using any shade on that strip. Then you need the color wheel that Chroma Design showed you. One of the best is the pattern she showed you and now go back to the store and select those (red and orange) and stick with the same "hue" second from the top. Cross complimentary is red-orange but you will then want a third color that can be a neutral or is best with yellow or blue purple that is making the cross on the wheel. There are many different "patterns" of three that work well but these color "rules" help create balance and harmony are often the reason that people know "something is off" but do not know what it is. Complimentary create "pow" while analogous (thee in a row on the color wheel) create a more soothing atmosphere, which is why decorators ask what "effect" do you want to achieve instead of what color do you like.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Melanie Gross    July 3, 2013 at 7:12AM
Melanie Gross
Thanks everyone so much. I think I will go with the "orange parrot" for an accent color. And possibly the Willow Creek color, I could find in a rug. Thanks to all of you for taking the time to answer my questions. I am really grateful!
1 Like    Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 7:39AM
Peek at BM2065-10, Admiral Blue. It has just a hint of purple.

I have to post this picture. So beautifully coordinated, IMO.
Seating Area · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Melanie Gross    July 3, 2013 at 9:03AM
Aggie dba Aggie Designs
Genevieve you need to go in business.
    Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 9:07AM
Need help for complementary colors in family room
What colors would you suggest to add in the way of...
shells0412
Complementary colors
What are some colors that are complementary with SW...
Rachelle Henry
This Belgian velvet fabric is as rich in texture as...
FabricSeen
Need Vibrant colors for Office!!
I am ready to have my office repainted at work and...
hotdrysunny
I need help with complementary colors and fabric.
I have a beautiful teal/turquoise couch and teal/turq....
Melanie Gross
Green carpet dilemma!
We currently have gold on our walls. We r planning...
Dana Ellis
I need help choosing LED retrofit 5" 6" recessed lights
If lighting bores you, stop right now because it's...
Jilson Modern Home Staging
Does a larger cooktop require new cabinets?
We are closing on a house tomorrow and want to redo...
vargil
Floor plan advice please!
External link to image! New construction, center hall...
itrageguy
Best ceiling fan brand?
I have use hunter fans and love them, but I can't find...
pwadd