Help needed re dining room hutch/storage/display
Barbara Evans
I have a round dark oak late 19th century mission-type pedestal dining table. I am looking for a hutch/china display cabinet to complement. Should have glass doors and not be too overwhelming in our small dining room. Could be something quite contemporary or traditional to go with the table. Any ideas?
Hi Barbara, Any chance you can attach a photo here of the dining table to get a better idea of what might work with it?
0 Likes   July 3, 2013 at 4:45PM
Barbara Evans
This is the table with one of the leaves in - can also be round. Chairs seem too heavy for our small dining room so would like to change them as well as find a hutch that would work, either traditional or more contemporary.
Thanks for your help!
0 Likes   July 4, 2013 at 8:46AM
creeser
I wouldn't try to match the wood since it's an antique and would go for a painted china cabinet. You could go bold in a color or use a white or ivory. Look through Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware.
[houzz=The Beaverbrook Kitchen][houzz=Dining Room][houzz=Lafayette Residence Two]
2 Likes   July 4, 2013 at 10:21AM
Barbara Evans
Would love suggestions for chairs. If I added a white or off-white painted hutch could I paint the existing chairs the same colour?
Thanks!!!
1 Like   July 4, 2013 at 9:03PM
creeser
You could, but those chairs are so beautiful, I would hate to paint that wood. Instead, I'd play around with the cushions in the seat. You could bring in some bold color or pattern, depending on your style. Anything from a leopard print, to a retro print or something more classic like a tone on tone stripe.
[houzz=Vance Lane Modern Home]
[houzz=San Clemente Remodel]
[houzz=Paddington Butterfly House]
[houzz=San Anselmo]
0 Likes   July 5, 2013 at 4:43AM
If you sew or know someone who does, it would be really easy to make a slip cover for the backs of your chairs. Then you can recover the seats in a similar fabric and even create a table runner in a third compatible fabric.
1 Like   July 5, 2013 at 5:08AM
creeser
Great idea bobbi! I found this photo where the designer did a lot of bold colors with the antique pieces. [houzz=
]
1 Like   July 5, 2013 at 5:38AM
Thanks Creeser! I found this Youtube tutorial on how to make a 10-minute table runner, I think it's brilliant! I plan to make one for every season and one each for Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas!
0 Likes   July 5, 2013 at 5:54AM
creeser
bobbi, great idea to change the whole look of your table for not much money!
1 Like   July 5, 2013 at 6:01AM
leelee
Do I see a white hutch in the right side of the picture? Is that staying? I would suggest not getting a hutch at all but a buffet or bar cabinet instead. You could store dishes below and have the top for serving. Add one or two buffet lamps and art or mirror to make the room more open looking. An updated look, less crowded feel for a small room and more functional. What do you think?
0 Likes   July 5, 2013 at 6:18AM
Creeser, I'm making the fall one right now! Already screwed up the first one, had the fabric cut too large and then I cut it too small. Oh, well, live and learn! Thanks!
1 Like   July 5, 2013 at 7:33AM
Barbara Evans
Hi Leelee and all,
This is just a temporary hutch I got off Craigslist and we painted so we would have something to store our stuff in. However , it's the wrong style and too small by half, so I think we will have to stick with a hutch. We could have a mission hutch stained to match the table although I worry that it would be too dark and overbearing. The present temporary hutch in white doesn't look right either tho perhaps a larger hutch painted a creamier colour or even the colour of the walls might work better. I could also try for a built-in approach. What do people think?
0 Likes   July 5, 2013 at 12:07PM
Barbara Evans
Great ideas oldbobbi and creeser.
1 Like   July 5, 2013 at 12:09PM
Need help with dining room hutch/display cabinet
I have a round mission-type oak pedestal dining table....
Need Ideas re: Storage & Display of Multi-Size Multi-Shaped Longaberge
Having inherited my mother's Longaberger Basket Collection,...
Need help with dining room hutch design
Designing built-ins for our dining room w/ glass doors...
need help with my dining room hutch placement in my foyer possibly
I am looking at buying a brownstone where the open...
I need help in what to display on a 5 foot shelf in my dining room.
Currently I have 2 wood candle holders a small brass...
outdated green marble tile in bathroom
The tile in my master bath is dated green marble. Does...
Help my master bedroom is boring!
Help ideas for curtains and bedding
Flooring
Trying to decide what type of flooring to use throughout...
ideas for practical kitchen floorplan?
My husband and I live in an 1960's home. We love the...
Entry wall niche
This house was built in 2002, maybe wall niches were...