Planning a Kitchen Remodel

sellkayJuly 3, 2013
We are beginning to plan out a full kitchen remodel, and are looking for some help/input given some of the challenges of this particular space. The house itself is around 1000 square feet, built in the 20's and is surrounded by similar sized/aged homes. This isn't a house we plan to live in forever, so while we want a great looking kitchen, we also want to keep resale needs in mind and don't want t spend a fortune. We've updated the rest of the house, generally sticking with a mix of original architectural elements, while adding in more modern colors and finishes. Also, because of the smaller size of the home, we value functionality above all else, and have made several improvements in an effort to increase the usefulness of certain spaces.

The only thing I've done in the kitchen was paint it with some leftover paint. The walls previously matched the blue countertops. The only decisions we have made about the kitchen is to replace the swinging door with a sliding barndoor style (with glass in the door), to reduce the need for the door swing space. We are also hijacking the closet on the other side of the door, extending the flooring and cabinets into the closet/hallway to create additional storage. Everything else is up in the air.

I'm looking for some help with layout, primarily. Given the large window on the one wall, we are very limited in where things could go. While this will likely be a full gut of the kitchen, I'm not keen on touching the window if I don't have too. I was thinking a very low level cabinet-type piece underneath the window, with open shelving about the window might work, but I'm not sure.

All appliances will be replaced. I'm open to a smaller refrigerator.

My husband wants to tear out the wall between the kitchen and the dining room (picture included) and create a penisula. I'm not opposed to that, but I don't think we would get our money back out of such an extensive project (The wall contains all of the ductwork, which would need to be rerouted).

Any thoughts, opinions, or ideas would be appreciated!
sellkay
And here's a picture from the dining room.
    Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 8:08AM
0825sam
Just my two cents on opening to the dining room - if this is an old neighborhood with old home it's typical for the kitchen to be more separate than in newer home and some prefer that as being more historically appropriate. If budget is an issue, I'd keep it separate unless a realtor told you that it is the norm in your neighborhood for people to be opening up their kitchens.
    Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 8:36AM
0825sam
Is that a built in? Or a piece of furniture?
    Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 8:38AM
0825sam
Is that a built in in the dining room or furniture?
    Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 8:38AM
0825sam
Sorry for the repeat question - technical difficulties
    Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 8:39AM
sellkay
Built in. There is a matching built in, in the living room. Obviously if the wall was taken out, the built in would be lost.
    Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 8:43AM
0825sam
That cements my vote not to take the wall down.
2 Likes    Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 8:56AM
Rustica Hardware
A sliding barn door is a great option to save space in your kitchen. Attached is a barn door we have with windows. Custom work can be ordered to fit your exact needs. http://rusticahardware.com/barn-door-hardware/
    Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 9:04AM
sellkay
Pretty! Thanks, I'll keep it in mind.
    Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 9:08AM
msmliss
Am I correct in thinking that behind where the refrigerator now stands is the closet you're incorporating? And if so, is that wall separating them going to be removed? Next, is that closet the only thing in that little hall? If so, is it possible to also remove the short wall beside your stove, thus square out the kitchen?
    Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 11:02AM
Here's what I would do - the period cabinets you have are amazing, and the big window terrific. You lose too much to open this - so make it a chef's kitchen. Keep the period stuff that people can't buy, and instead invest in appliances they'll drool over, and classic finishes. Invest in three major pieces of equipment plus lighting and make this a cooks kitchen.

For the stove wall - if you can capture the corner back, take the closet. Get a viking stove - consider even an enameled one over stainless in a classic kitchen color- red? - a nod to being a period stove. Center it on that wall with lower flanking stainless cabinets and tops. Put a period appropriate corbel supported arched front vent hood wrapped and painted the cabinet color above it with open shelves on corbels on either side - tile the wall to the trim and the other backsplash in white subway tile. Spend the money for a viking refrigerator and paint out a simple cabinet around it but do not fill the space above the trim.

Use marble tops on the sink wall since you have the stainless cooking area. Get a new sink and pull down faucet, and add undercabinet lighting here. Replace the shelves in front of the window with wide stainless shelving island on wheels with a butcherblock top that can sit there betweeen the open refrigerator door and the open cabinet door opposite. Roll this into the open doorway line when you have major events.

Spending money on expensive appliances instead of demo and replacing those great cabinets will result in a kitchen that people will pay double for. Just patch in the wood floor in the corner you gain, and then paint that too obviously new floor compared to the other with diamonds of gray and white and let it weather.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 11:57AM
Vivian
I love the idea of the period stove and if you can recreate the arch in the dining room creating an alcove for the stove, hide the vent in it. I would also like to see the refrig "built in" as a flat wall but if you can move it back so you have the same space between it and the window edge and the other side of the window and the cabinets, it will center your window. If it has good wide white window trim like the dining room, keep it exposed and just put curtains on the windows. I would paint the kitchen the same color and then do a faux paint for a venetian plaster look. You can visually tie these two rooms together without removing the wall.
    Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 12:47PM
apple_pie_order
You've done a lot of thinking already. Would you upload a floor plan with measurements? You can use the Ikea kitchen planner, it is simple and easy (I'm not recommending Ikea cabinets, but their planner is good).

Have you settled on a budget already?

How do you feel about moving windows?
    Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 12:51PM
sellkay
msmiss- Nope. there is a door next to the fridge and behind that door is a hallway with the closet directly across from the door. The short wall by the stove contains the original fireplace for the furnace venting. I'm uploading a floor plan in a bit.

libradesigneye- The cabinets have to be replaced, they are in terrible shape. Held together by a lot of glue, tape, and prayers... :) Additionally there is water damage to the lower cabinets, making two of the three completely unuseable.

Vivian - I thought about continuing the color into the kitchen... the whole first floor would be the same color then.

apple_pie - I can upload a rough floorplan this afternoon. We haven't done enough research on materials to develop a budget, but generally speaking we are looking for lower cost options. However, I am all over salvage yards and unique/creative solutions. We also plan to DIY most of the kitchen. I'm not against moving windows, but it would be my preference not too.

Just a side note, the floor is laminate installed by the previous owner. It was pretty bad DIY job, so it will likely need t be replaced. We haven't quite figure out what's underneath the laminate, but it's possible it may be a salvageable floor.
    Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 2:02PM
sellkay
Hopefully this helps.. it's not perfect, but should give a pretty good idea of structurally what we are working with. The only wall that could come down is the one directly behind the stove and the whole thing couldn't come down either, just up to the two squares in the bottom left corner.

I will be going out of town soon, so I may not be able to respond right away to questions, but I will do my best. I really appreciate the help!
    Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 2:31PM
sellkay
I didn't label the closet, but it is the one near the stairway. From the actual pictures, it is this one.
    Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 2:33PM
Vivian
If you are going to do cabinets, floors you have a complete redo. These are the top trends and you need to look at them all. Think about how they are repeating the theme of your built ins and a potential buyer will more than likely fall in love with these features or just think it is too big of a redo, so I would stick with it. Can't please everyone. I love the one with the refrig built in...samples below but there are more. I love the way they kept the floor to ceiling look.
http://www.bhg.com/kitchen/cabinets/styles/top-10-cabinetry-trends/#page=11
    Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 2:37PM
sellkay
That's pretty on par with what I was considering, I'm just trying to figure out if it's possible to put cabinets on any additional walls in the kitchen. Also, what would be the best way to lay everything out, because it currently feels awkward with the fridge/window/door corner.
    Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 2:49PM
apple_pie_order
How about swapping the stove and the fridge locations, raising the large double window to above-countertop height, and adding countertops under the newly raised window, wrapping around to the stove?

If you don't raise the large window, the space underneath it is pretty much limited to a window seat with pull out drawers below.
    Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 3:11PM
Vivian
I would consider moving the refrig to end of the sink wall even though you will loose some countertop space and do a wall of the glassed cabinets twhere the refrig is. You want a work triangle out of your appliances and now it goes all the way across the room. Even though the windows are centered in the cupboards, the sink is not centered with the window so removing it is an option and maybe some lighted glass front cabinets not down low and under cabinet lighting for the sink. You could also put the range at the end of the counter instead of the refrig but I personally do not like ranges next to walls. If you recreate the arch where you have the range but keep it high, you should be able to place a base cabinet on each side of the range and then you have a place to set off hot pans and store baking sheets etc in the cupboards, drawers for hot pads and tool so they are out of sight. A rolling kitchen island would give you the surface you need to big cooking projects. When it comes to resale nothing beats storage space (I still cannot visualize where the closet is but it could be a pantry for large pans, seldom used but necessary small appliances etc.
    Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 3:14PM
sellkay
I hadn't thought about moving the refrigerator and placing a set of cabinets like those in it's place... that would disrupt my barn door idea, but would give a ton more storage, not too mention a layout that makes more sense.
    Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 3:20PM
Studio Q Designs
I would remove the window next to the refrigerator. This will create a great focal point in the kitchen. Place the cooktop center on the wall and have a modern venthood. put the pantry and microwave on the opposite wall .
    Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 7:27PM
If you can save the cabinet doors you may be able to have a local cabinet shop build new boxes to match. You could take just the left window and use that facing wall for frig and pantry walk in to use hall space butretain needed cross ventilation.
    Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 7:56PM
Appliance Problem in Kitchen Remodel
Just started planning my kitchen remodel and can't...
jensie
Need appliance help for kitchen remodel
We're planning a kitchen remodeling project. Although...
pamgarb
I'm planning a kitchen remodel and need help with the design
This is a rough layout of my current kitchen. I couldn't...
ckaichi
where to start on major kitchen renovation (designer or no designer)?
we are planning a kitchen remodel. we will gut the...
katpic
Planning for a kitchen remodel
We've recently bought a house in the East Bay area...
ekhinds
creating a small foyer/vestibule
my house is a late 1940, early 1950 ranch, much enlarged...
sacapuntaslapioz
open concept entry and dining blank walls
I am seeking design advice for my large blank walls...
drfirman
Need help with window treatment and mirror
I just recovered dinning room chairs and painted walls....
Anna D'Arco DeLeo
First Home, style ideas
We just bought our first home (well, closing this week)...
kimbermenssen
Wall art? Mural? Paint? Lighting fixture?
What do I do with the large, long and tall wall space?...
gleo625