Help with Paint
Adeline Tang
We are updating a 1000sqft apartment, its on the ground floor which makes the apartment somewhat dark. I would love to have suggestions on neutral paint colors that will help lighten up the place. The kitchen will be updated with painted white cabinets and new hardware, countertop and appliances (to lighten up the place).

We don't want strong colors but would use accent colors where appropriate. Carpets will be updated as well. I hate choosing paint color as I can never seem to get them right so any help from the color-wise would be appreciated!
Incite Design
This is only my opinion but I feel you can't go wrong with a good white paint! Not a stark hospital white, but one with a bit of warmth in it. On my own house I used a Benjamin Moore Aura paint called "Cloud White" which helped brighten up the space.
Then using accessories and fabrics you can go in a number of directions. New drapes would certainly help as well as the carpet like you mentioned. Eye catching art tastefully framed also helps draw the eye away from the floor.
Hope that helps
July 3, 2013 at 10:02am   
Adeline Tang
Thanks. I was also looking at neutral grays for the accent walls. Any suggestions on a gray paint?
July 3, 2013 at 11:50am   
Incite Design
I honestly find it difficult to work with most neutral grays. The one that I've used in a number of situations is a blue gray from Benjamin Moore also thats called Feather Gray. There is some teak furniture that we wanted to highlight but beige walls would just be.... beige.
The light makes the Feather Gray appear slightly different depending on the time of day and intensity. It's offset against creamy offwhite trim (called Palace White) and yes it works :>
The blue in the paint helps bring out the tones of the teak furniture without overpowering the other elements of the room.
So I think you can use a color you really like as a jumping off point to build a palette around- that will help you decide on the wall and carpet colors as well as other accents.
July 3, 2013 at 12:00pm   
Two neutral paints that we love are SW Urban Putty (a pale khaki) and BM Gray Horse (or the lighter version, BM Moonshine). Gray Horse and Moonshine are grays that look like a soft blue-gray shade in brighter western exposures and more of a green-gray in rooms with less light. Many people on Houzz seem to recommend BM Revere Pewter as a warm neutral gray, but I haven't used it so I can't speak from personal experience.
July 3, 2013 at 12:06pm   
Help..Help ....help. With...Paint color
We are painting our home and need a main color for...
Help needed! help decorating newly painted living room.
1968 ranch remodel....needs ideas for the living room...
HELP! Need help on idea of what color to paint my kitchen cabinets!
Need help with what color to paint cabinets and island....
Need help choosing a paint color for kitchen - please help!
I am looking repaint my kitchen and keep the cabinetry,...
Need help choosing paint colors for my kitchen! Please help me!
I love the flooring we recently put down throughout...
Hardwood floor in bedrooms?
I am flipping a 950 sq.ft, 2 bed-1 bath-one story home...
Basement Apartment decor help!
Hi! My boyfriend and I are moving into a basement apartment...
DYI Bathroom update help please!
1970s lake cottage to which I brought country french...
Jesse's kitchen - what kitchen would look good?
I'd love some ideas for a total kitchen refit, some...
Need area rug suggestion
Good day all, I know there are plenty of Houzz'ers...