To treat or not to treat new cedar deck
Matt Vanderwerff
I've built a new deck and love the look of it new.I also like the look of cedar as it ages to a nice grey but live in Vancouver where it rains....... a lot.
Any suggestions for a sealer that looks natural,environmentally friendly, fairly long lasting and doesn't look orange?
Ed
Hi mvanderwerff, Congrats on your beautiful new cedar deck! :)
July 3, 2013 at 12:34pm      Thanked by Matt Vanderwerff
HomeSolve
I'd look to a penetrating oil stain/finish of good quality but neutral in tone. You need mildew and UV protection, and cedar, being soft, will wear, scratch, and do what all woods on the exterior do, Plan on yearly cleaning with compatible products and a re-coat of the same stain after drying. Be sure to look at samples at the paint store that are on cedar. Read the labels for manufacturers recommendations for cleaning, etc. Some products may require a year of weathering without finish to leach out the tannin, but I would avoid those and get some oil on it quick. After a few years/cycles of maintenance, you will get a feel for the timing but May is a good month. Good luck, it looks great.
July 3, 2013 at 12:56pm      Thanked by Matt Vanderwerff
Kelli Badgley
I would just use some sealer that's clear to stop rain damage but keep the color of ur deck.
July 3, 2013 at 1:01pm      Thanked by Matt Vanderwerff
Trevor Pan Studios
I have just the stuff for you. Penofin Verde "Natural". About $55/gal.
July 3, 2013 at 6:05pm     
rgkDESIGNS, Inc.
Nice work, I personally would avoid the added cost/headache of the maintenance and let it be. As it grays out, it will work well with the exterior of your home.
July 3, 2013 at 6:23pm      Thanked by Matt Vanderwerff