Flooring for open floor plan with great room
justine7700
I plan on doing hardwood floor for the majority of the house except bathrooms, basement and mudroom. I don't love the idea of hardwood in the kitchen. Well, I love the look but it isn't as practical. I have hardwood in my current house (a different one from the remodel) and the hardwood gets dinged up so easily. I cringe every time a can is dropped on the floor or a stool gets dragged by the kids. Is there a way to tile the kitchen and still have hardwood in the family room and have it look good? I've attached the floor plan for your reference. Thanks in advance!
kao7
I think you could do tile because there's a good breaking point between great room and kitchen dining. However, have you looked at handscraped wood? It comes distressed so there's no worries when more stress comes its way ;)
July 3, 2013 at 12:27PM     
Casey Tomlinson
I must say go with the hardwood then do tiling on the areas you mentioned like bathroom and kitchen. You can combine both by doing this:
July 3, 2013 at 12:32PM   
INSTUDIO
Try to find a porcelain tile that closely matches the color of your hardwood floors. Make a line from the bathroom to the kitchen sink wall and switch flooring materials. Have your contractor do a butt joint at the tile and wood floors. (Meaning that the two materials are flush and there is no transition strip between the two.) Use large rectified tiles with little on no grout.
July 3, 2013 at 12:32PM   
rmac62
There are great new porcelains that look like wood , can be more expensive but look fantastic. Check them out if you want a no worry wood look.
July 3, 2013 at 3:51PM   
justine7700
Thanks for those suggestions! I'll look into that.
July 3, 2013 at 4:05PM   
rgkDESIGNS, Inc.
You can be more aggressive with the flooring design. But I would recommend the transition strip as the two materials will work and you don't want damage or displaced grout. They have 1/8-3/16 minimal strips for butt joints you can use.
July 3, 2013 at 6:45PM   
sstarr
there was another thread about Emil Ceramica Golden Wood tiles, which are quite realistic: http://www.houzz.com/discussions/519174/Emil-Ceramica-Golden-Wood-Tile

In addition, they make something called Wood Talk, a more bleached-looking wood tile, very very attractive too.
These are some of the best quality wood-look tiles.
July 3, 2013 at 6:52PM   
Great open floor plan. What are the dimensions of this room?
What are the approximate dimensions of this combination...
Lighting choices open floor plan (kitchen/dining and great room)
Looking for options for lighting other than recessed...
Need open plan for kitchen, dining and Living/Great Room
Area available after demolition and making structural...
paint color to pair with gold leaf vanity in small powder room
We are repainting and this small powder room needs...
Ugly black stone fireplace!
We just purchased a brand new house and my husband...
Mega problem!
Need advice on art for my fireplace wall. It is a...
Outdoor front light & house numbers
Would like to replace the existing light and numbers...