Please help finish my master bedroom
josephineannegrant
It needs some oooomph! The ideas I have are:
1) Use textured wallpaper (linen/taupe/silver colour?) behind the bed (up until the ensuite begins)
2) Place a large rectangular mirror on the wall above the bed
3) Three framed pieces of artwork (silver frame?) above bedhead

I also need to fill the space next to the bed before the ensuite starts. Table with greenery on it? I love plants!
Do we need a rug under the end of the bed?
A large ottoman at the end of the bed?

Any tips/suggestions would be really appreciated!
Your headboard looks to be microsuede rather than linen. That should influence any wallpaper selection. Three prints will have to be centered on the three divisions of the headboard for balance. Shopping for them might get tedious. If the mirror won't reflect anything you'd like to see doubled, use a single piece of art above the bed for color and interest. A rug pulled halfway under the bed can certainly work. I would center the bed between the corner and the left side of the window frame by the en suite. That keeps the bedside table on the left from being crowded into a corner and may allow space for a chaise or chair and ottoman by the window instead of the small bookcase. Can you make better use of the wall to the right of the en suite? You could use some height to break up the visual line being drawn around the space by the partition on the shutters and the bookcase, plus the headboard. How about a nice tall bookcase on that wall? Here's a tutorial on styling it, and if you're not a book person, you could use a shorter wide bookcase with your mirror above it to reflect the view. Are you considering a chandelier or drum fixture over the bed?

0 Likes   Thanked by josephineannegrant    July 3, 2013 at 6:10PM
Alexei Rebrov Art
Not sure about headboard and 3 art pieces over it especially if you going to frame them. I think it will look crowded.
With existing head boar I would consider placing the art on opposite wall... unless you are willing to reconsider headboard size.
2 Likes   Thanked by josephineannegrant    July 3, 2013 at 6:16PM
bodhidesigns
Consider a folding screen to hide the bathroom. They come in many styles and price points. Here's one that would be beautiful in your room, depending on whether it goes with your taste. I found it on "BeautifulAffordableDesign.blogspot.com" which has many other folding screens to stimulate your creativity.
2 Likes   Thanked by josephineannegrant    July 3, 2013 at 6:38PM
suzie123
i think the room needs softer edges and an accent color. there are a lot of squares and rectangles-on the headboard, the tables, the pillows.i would stay away from more hard edge frames above the bed. a textured wall paper might be pretty-deep red seagrass on the back wall? if so, pull the red in elsewhere also.
0 Likes   Thanked by josephineannegrant    July 3, 2013 at 6:51PM
Veronica Lawrence Interior Design
I agree you do need 3 framed art pieces of same size over the bed. This can be a way to bring in some color and personality to the room. Your headboard is fine, I don't see why you need to change it! You may want to consider making the wall behind the bed an accent wall - wallpaper or some kind of textured element could make the room more interesting - but as it leads into the bathroom, you would have to carry it through. Most importantly artwork will fix the room.
0 Likes   Thanked by josephineannegrant    July 3, 2013 at 7:00PM
josephineannegrant
Thankyou so much everyone for your comments - this is my first ever post and I was afraid nobody would reply. I really appreciate it. We have tried to move the bed over to centre it a bit (sooo heavy) but I will be more determined now as it must be done. Yes the bedhead, which I love, is made of a suede fabric - sorry to be ignorant but how does this influence my wallpaper selection (which I think I'm steering towards - I think the 3 framed prints has been done a bit). I do like the rough textured look - our house is what I would call contemporary natural/India hicks kinda vibe (bamboo pendant lights, jute rugs, bamboo chairs, woven trunks, plants etc). If we were to put a rug in the bedroom could it be the natural look of sisal/jute etc or would that look silly? We weren't going to do any feature pendants in the bedroom - I feel the lamps are feature enough. We like the chair/chaise idea and originally thought of putting that under the tv area. Thankyou again everyone for your helpful advice.
0 Likes   July 4, 2013 at 12:42AM
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
Yes go with the wallpaper, maybe something bold and of large scale. If you do this then I would choose a screen of some sort, maybe a pierced Indian style one or a louvered screen, to define the bedroom space slightly from the bath.
1 Like   Thanked by josephineannegrant    July 4, 2013 at 2:51AM
DzineSpace
Put a frost glass partition for ensuite. Side Table looks a little segregated from the bed.Some element from head board could be put.The wall behind the bed can also get painted( a good option will different finishes from Oikos).You can put single wooden art work (like a bodhitree) carved in wood,above the head board.
0 Likes   Thanked by josephineannegrant    July 4, 2013 at 4:29AM
Here are platform beds with rug underneath. It will have to be a very thin rug so the bed will continue to sit flat. I think a linen headboard would look good with linen look wall paper, but with the suede I might go with your natural/India Hicks leanings. Her dad, David, was more of a wallpaper icon I think. See hers and his bedrooms below.
Flatiron Loft Renovation
Bedrooms
Barclay Butera Living on the Coast
San Francisco Decorator Showcase
1 Like   Thanked by josephineannegrant    July 4, 2013 at 5:44AM
carolins
How about placing two rectangular mirrors vertically behind the bedside lamps.
Laguna Beach Home

The Chimney's Designer Showhouse

I wouldn't do a rug. You don't need it since you have wall to wall carpet. Beautiful bed/bathroom!

(ignore the style of the pictures enclosed, just wanted to show you the mirrors I meant for your bedroom)
1 Like   Thanked by josephineannegrant    July 4, 2013 at 12:01PM
carolins
You could use a grasscloth wallpaper on the wall behind the headboard.
House of Blues

In stead of the small bookcase in the corner, a white simple rectangular column with a sculpture on top. Driftwood perhaps or a buddha... whatever you like. Or just a tall sculpture or piece of driftwood...
Metal decor
Penthouse Retreat & Terrace by Villanueva Design

A tall potted plant between the bath- and bedroom. Not on a table, just on the floor.
1 Like   Thanked by josephineannegrant    July 4, 2013 at 12:31PM
josephineannegrant
Grasscloth - I just looked that up - that's what I like - thankyou for explaining to me what it is called - now I will know what to ask/look for. And I do like the mirror idea behind each lamp, I remember seeing that before and thinking it was effective. I think I will start with the wallpaper and some greenery (plant) and work from there. Thankyou again everyone for your comments. It surprised me a lot of people mentioned closing in/sectioning off the ensuite - when we renovated, we designed it to feel like some of the tropical resorts we have been to, and you can see the water from sitting in the bath so we didn't want to section it off - I hope it doesn't look awful! - The bathroom did win a category in the building awards last year so it musn't be too bad! Thankyou again everyone, I really appreciate you taking the time to help.
0 Likes   July 4, 2013 at 2:21PM
Please post your results here so we can see. Just comment and use the Attach Images button to update us with new pix. Keep tweaking!
1 Like   Thanked by josephineannegrant    July 4, 2013 at 2:28PM
carolins
The bathroom is beautiful. And I like the open feel it has. But since you mentioned putting a table there with some greenery on it.... I don't think you should add 'small furniture' to the room. You'll loose the 'big gesture' feel. Which is why I suggested a large palm or another large plant to soften the transition between the different floor and wall covering.

The small cabinet in the corner has that same effect in your room, it's not 'dramatic' enough if you like.

Good luck with finding the finishing touches for your room. Please keep us posted. I'd love to see what you choose to do :-)
1 Like   Thanked by josephineannegrant    July 4, 2013 at 2:39PM
Angel Lockwood
How about a round mirror over the bed? It would soften the angled. You could do a textured frame like pallet wood in a sunburst pattern. Add some color with pillows and a touch in the area rug you choose.
1 Like   Thanked by josephineannegrant    July 4, 2013 at 2:54PM
Angel Lockwood
Regarding bathroom partition: If you like the open feel don't change it especially if since you have a view, how nice!
1 Like   Thanked by josephineannegrant    July 4, 2013 at 2:57PM
My friend carolins suggested the vertical mirrors above the bedside chests that I was going to mention, and I applaud her idea! It's a great and effective look that totally removes any need to place art over the bed. What bothers me about your bed is the frame that projects beyond the mattress. For me it would lead to bruises and swearing when I bumped into it in the dark. If that's not a problem for you, fine. But if it is, it can certainly be replaced with another than doesn't attack one unawares.
1 Like   July 4, 2013 at 6:04PM
Suzanne O'Brien
Hi Josephine, I took your photo and played with it and have a couple of simple suggestions. Have fun!
2 Likes   Thanked by josephineannegrant    May 8, 2014 at 6:13PM
britneylindsey
Either way this was a gorgeous room
0 Likes   May 8, 2014 at 6:25PM
Need help with finishing my master bedroom
I am finishing a makeover. I have space above the...
pph108
need help to finish to decor my master bedroom.
my master bedroom Wall color are sand and my decor...
mariana0
kadamo
I need help with my master bedroom please!
I just bought this white comforter set which I love....
sandykirby
Help me with my master bedroom, please!
I am open for an entirely new look in the master bedroom....
sarneg
Please help me with my wall and table colours.
The pillow fabrics have been placed where they'll go....
glynny
Objetos de Decoração
Vasos, estatuas, objetos de decoração
Beloutil Decor
Help with exterior ideas
We are purchasing this home and should close on it...
Amy Brooks
master bed, bath, closet design - ripped out and stuck!
We have started work on our gut rehab of 1982 Lakehouse,...
Niels Seebeck
What color should paint my room?
I like horses and ballet I play the piano I was thinking...
Ava Williams