Staircase Reno
woodyld
Hi guys,
After a little assistance please. Not a hug fan of the wooden panel look. We will definitely get rid of the carpet. Besides that we have no idea what to do. We will be painting walls white, we are mindful that the wood carries though the house and we want to stay true to the federation style of home that it is.
Sorry i posted this earlier today but was unable to comment so I'm reposting.
Nancy Walton
Wow, I bet when the house was built it had an open stairway with railings, which wouldn't be a bad look to go back to--it would open up the dark hall way, especially if you painted the risers and balusters white, with a dark stain on the treads and handrail. Consult a good carpenter about opening up the stairwell.

Not seeing the outside of the house, it looks like it might be classified more as Craftsman, not Federal.
July 3, 2013 at 11:23PM     
DMH DESIGN
woodyld-This is probably mahogany plywood (?) on the face, I would guess. If you don't want it, I am certain that somebody else will, so disassemble it carefully if you choose. I would be inclined to retain as much of this, what I feel to be original detailing, as you can. Given the horizontal detail on the paneling, I think you either have to remove all of it, and replace what you have taken off with plaster, up to the edge of the skirts, or you retain as much of it as you can, given preservation of the existing details. I would not start the slope cut any lower than the top of the three horiz. bands (if you retain the plywood, cutting any of the horiz bands won't look right), install square balustrades, and simple handrail profile at the top. Make the guardrail meet code, if you change it. These would build short balustrades above this angled wall that follows the steps. A marriage btw. the original details and updates will work best, if you feel that you have to open up the stair to some degree. Plan this out carefully, it might end up being more work to correct this feature than you think, especially at all the turns and if the angle transitions into a similar 'half wall' open to below, along the upper floor. Happy Houzzing.
July 4, 2013 at 12:46AM   
woodyld
Thank you so much DMH DESIGN and Nancy Walter. Your input is very much appreciated. I think you're right about it being a Craftsman home. We have just purchased and still a little stir crazy :) I feel like the hallway is too dark hence our thoughts on opening it up. I completely agree DMH DESIGN we can easily get this wrong & your input has been invaluable. I will place an image of the facade of the home and if you have any further input it would be greatly appreciated.
July 4, 2013 at 2:44AM   
moonblue
Have you looked into solar tubes? Less expensive and more flexible than a skylight.
July 4, 2013 at 2:59AM   
woodyld
The facade..
July 4, 2013 at 3:02AM   
woodyld
Is anyone able to give a little more info into the possible style of the home?
July 4, 2013 at 4:10AM   
smct04
What year was it built and what is its location? It looks Tudor to me...craftsman is more square and flat roofed...
July 4, 2013 at 4:30AM   
woodyld
I can't wait to find out some more about our new home :) I don't know the year but we are in Australia. The interior walls have stucco which seems to be a prominent characteristic to a Tudor house. We have a lot of wood trimmings as well. I want to be clear on the style so we stay true to it throughout our renos
July 4, 2013 at 4:45AM   
Nancy Walton
It looks like the facade has had a reno sometime in the 70s or 80s, but judging from what looks like the original roofline (the part in the back, I would still think it is Craftsman, and the stucco interior walls go with that period style.
July 4, 2013 at 10:19AM   
msmliss
yes! Definitely not Federal. In a way I see that it could be either a Craftsman or a Tudor! It's that balcony n the front right over the entry that throws it off. As for your interior stairs, I'd go searching reclamation yards for a beautiful newell post with a few spindles, in whichever design style direction you wish your interior to go.
July 4, 2013 at 10:26AM   
Vivian
I think it is a Tudorbethan, mock Tudor or Old English since it is in Australia. I really don't know much about these but I know wood walls were often used so I would get to the library and the historical society. It looks like they have removed the wood beam trim outside. A deed search will tell you when it was built and there was a progression from Victorian to this mock Tudor to Modern. Roof line, stucco and brick are similar in this house in Sydney.
July 4, 2013 at 11:03AM   
msmliss
The Modern Tudorbethan it is then! Works for me!
July 4, 2013 at 11:06AM   
Nancy Walton
LOL, sounds good!
July 4, 2013 at 11:47AM   
woodyld
You guys are wonderful, thanks! I see how it could be both also after doing some research. We are going to get a deed search done as we really want to get this right and stay true to the period of the home (whenever that may be) I love the idea of finding some renewal posts! I can definitely see how it's a modern Tudor.. It funny as one if my first thoughts when I saw the balcony out the front was hmmm that's interesting I wonder how that comes to play in the style of the home?! I may even think about amending it somehow..?
July 4, 2013 at 1:36PM   
msmliss
The "Newel" post:
July 4, 2013 at 1:54PM     
woodyld
Thank you so much for your assistance :)
July 8, 2013 at 11:06PM   
woodyld
So, I think we have decided to open the staircase and have the treads the same colour as the flooring and the risers white. I thought I would post some other images of the formal dining and living areas. We are not sure whether to keep the plate rails at all.. Or keep them the way they are as wood or to paint them?? We also have them around the cornicing? Any design ideas? Remove, add or change? This furniture isn't our furniture and will be removed when we move in. Is it all seemingly too much wood? Particularly if we have the treads the same colour as the flooring also..There are also existing wooden doors on the master bedroom etc. not too sure if we should keep them also.. Input would be appreciated. Thanks :)
July 9, 2013 at 7:15PM   
Staircase Reno
Hi guys, After a little assistance please. Not a...
Reno newbie asking for advice. Should my bathroom Reno take 12 weeks?
Hello: Generally I am more of a "lurker" than a "poster"...
Hey fellow houzzers, anybody else Reno-Ing from 2000 km away?
We are taking a leap and beginning renovations on a...
Side Staircase or Center Staircase
We are designing a large new home and are debating...
Nice staircase design! What is the staircase width? Do you have a pict
Nice staircase design! What is the staircase width?...
Need help for home exterior...please!
My husband and I have bought a fixer up. We love the...
Color for garage door, shutters, front door-curb appeal!
Hi everyone, this is my friend and neighbor's house....
Box spring covers...is custom-made the only option
My new upholstered bed frame has wooden side boards....
Looking Blare.. TV Wall
need help with my tv wall. my husband put up the 4...
I need to replace the concrete around my home and replace with pavers
I have stone below the front picture window going to...