Need help on these single pane arched wood windows
sudee
These are single pane windows in living area and there is view to mountains.Due to Single pane there is huge loss of energy. Converting to double pane is very costly. While retaining the look of its architectural style and keeping in mind not to block the view. Any suggestions?
what and if there is anyway to install something to install something outside these windows. As there is is no house overlooking to our house.
TanCalGal
Very beautiful. I think I'd convert to double pane. Yes, you could have draw drapes, or blinds or have storm windows, or (ugly) plastic, but these solutions are not really cheap (except for the ugly plastic) and will not really fit the bill.. Can you afford one window a year?
2 Likes    Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 7:24AM
sudee
Thank you so much. I appreciate. Since its Very pricey converting to double pane. Are there any solutions available that can be installed outside? Any ideas?
2nd-
    Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 11:10AM
TanCalGal
Custom storm windows is all I am aware of.
2 Likes    Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 12:24PM
amydutton Home
I agree that while costly, so are good drapes. So i would recommend the "one window a year" idea. If you do decide to go with drapes, here are some ideas to make it a) look right and b) not cut out your view.
1) hang the rod over the arch. Not covering the arch not only looks weird but doesn't solve your issue of efficiency.
2) the drapes should stack cleanly all to one side or in between the windows so that you don't interrupt view.
3) line the drapes with insulated fabric.
4) match the wall with the color of the drapes so that it is a clean look when closed & open- there will be a lot of it.

Maybe as a cost saver, look at using drop cloths & lining them.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 12:31PM
Progressive Solutions / Renaissance Bronze Windows
You could look into putting window film on the glass. It would help to improve the window efficiency and would not be as expensive as insulated glass (double pane). http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gila-3-ft-x-15-ft-Titanium-Heat-Control-Window-Film-HRT361 http://www.amazon.com/Gila-LES361-Control-Residential-Platinum/dp/B000KKM8EG http://www.lowes.com/pd_44606-74130-LES481_0__
    Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 8:14AM
sudee
Thankyou all for valuable inputs.
Window width is 70 inch. I am told that for drapes when stacked, they need at least 14 inch (width divide by 5 rule) on each side, which will actually block the view by more than a foot on each side of window!!! So, i am again back to square one.
Regarding window film, wouldnt that put some opacity to the view?
Does anyone know if there is anything like outside install thing while still keeping the original window as it is?
    Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 9:27PM
Window film is similar to putting tint on your vehicle windows. The view is not changed, it's just slightly darker. Similar to below image.
    Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 5:18AM
sudee
Sure. Thank you so much.
All helping folks-
I hope I have not run out of option of outside install double pane or storm windows while keeping existing single pane wooden windows structure?
Do we know?
Thanks again.
    Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 12:41PM
ponitayl
As it's understandable you want to preserve the view, maybe consider enclosing the outside porch with big paned glass, or the like. (Maybe even a slidable version.) That would allow the sun to actually come through for warmth and also insulate in the winter. For the summer, if you're losing a/c, consider a tint for sure.
    Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 1:11PM
Window World of Colorado
Double pane windows/low-e will help make a huge difference. I usually don't promote my bizz on here but I know we do have some of the most reasonable prices in the country, nationwide. Also have you thought about energy audits? I'm not sure what state you are located but if xcel is your energy provider they can get you set up with one, and they can give you really helpful suggestions.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 1:14PM
SOLARIS
A low-E window film like www.enerlogicfilm.com will make your single pane windows perform like double pane at a fraction of the cost. Here is an image of the Enerlogic 70 film installed on a clients home. Minimal change in appearance, maximum year-round efficiency without replacing your windows.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 2:33PM
New apartment - single guy with no design clue needs livingroom help
I need help helping my brother with his new apartment....
Ellen Leung
Need help with window treatment for arched bedroom window
Having a hard time trying to figure out what to do...
greenplantation
Need help with arch window in vaulted room
Hoping you can help with the problem window in our...
atrollope
Single guys can sort-of decorate too!
I'm a single guy, and don't have a ton of people to...
andybnh
old single pane crank windows should I replace them?
They look so "proper" on this small bungalow house...
kd4x4p
What did I do! Need help
I just had new tile installed all though my house....
ontime21
Help with picking fabric for chaise lounge
Our small living room is a very slow work in progress....
donahuemc
Help for kitchen planning
Hello! After getting a bid on a full kitchen remodel...
bearellis
Help style my master bedroom
Need decorating ideas - bedding to suit my wallpaper....
Nikki Trent
Kitchen - Cabinets, counters, floor stay... everything else needs to change?
I've grown tired of the backsplash and wall color in...
pburgh19