Almost triangular closet....
clanon
I live in a condo built in the 1920s and the second bedroom/office has a storage "issue," specifically a closet that is almost a triangle. Right now it has a shelf and a wardrobe bar that is non-functional in the narrow end of the closet. The space is very tall, but access to the full height is hampered by the door. I do not want to knock out walls or anything but would love some ideas on how to make this a functional storage space. Any thoughts?
HI -- Well there is no way to fix this without removing some wall or at least the doorway . Have you given any thought to taking off the front and building out to make a better closet . Or just take the front off and just put shelves there and have a wardrobe placed on another wall in the room .This is actually the most ridicules closet I have ever seen if you can even call it a closet .
0 Likes   July 4, 2013 at 6:31PM
Shelving seems to be the answer, plus a small ladder folded in the closet to use when you need to reach high shelves. I suggest you find a trim carpenter to build custom shelves for you. You could paint them yourself if you want to save some money.
2 Likes   July 4, 2013 at 6:36PM
marci4
Do you live near a Container Store? If you take your drawing in they may be able to give you some ideas. They will lay something out using the Elfa system. I was thinking about getting our closet done, and brought in a drawing. In the end, it was more money than I wanted to spend, but I've implemented many of the ideas using cheaper materials. Our closet is also oddly configured, though not as odd as yours.

Also, what do you use or intend to use the closet for? You wrote that the closet is located in a second bedroom/office. Do you store your off-season clothes in there? Your suitcases? Office supplies? Extra blankets?

I might consider hiring a carpenter to build shelves in the narrow end of the closet, as was suggested by a previous poster. I might also remove the extant shelf and then hang a double-decker clothes rack from the ceiling. On the left-hand wall perhaps you can hang handbags or hang a shoe bag.

Hope these suggestions help!
0 Likes   July 4, 2013 at 9:27PM
clanon
Thanks all, I appreciate the thoughts.
0 Likes   July 5, 2013 at 7:36PM
distance from range to island?
In remodel need to know what distance from range to...
DESIGN DISASTER! GRANITE AND TILE DON"T MATCH!
We have spend $$$ totally remodeling our master bath...
Our new sunroom.
Walls are a light gray with blue tint. Chairs are...
My "Woman" Cave... a soon to be peaceful retreat for ME!
This room has 2 sets of french doors with a set up...
Will all chenille fabrics show seat wear, where a person sits usually?
I am looking for upholstery fabric and don't want something...