TV
mymellow
July 4, 2013 in Photo Questions
I'm sorry but I have to say this and I don't mean to offend anyone especially the designers but, I can't tell you how many times I have seen TV's plastered over the most beautiful fireplaces and to me it's..not cute..at all. At least hide them so that they don't spoil the designers exquisite work. There is nothing lovely about a TV screen I'm sorry..there just isn't.
FORMA Design
You are definitely are entitled to your opinion. :)
July 5, 2013 at 7:17am   
mymellow
Thank you I meant NO offense.
July 5, 2013 at 11:23am     
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
- Firstly, this is a beautiful project. Nice subtle use of color, texture, line and light. Excellent work, FORMA.

Secondly, feel the need to offer a little reality check. Most modern, open plan homes really only have one wall with which to accomplish everything, creating the need for the two focal points (fireplace and TV) to be located together for furniture placement and comfortable viewing. Period.

Some of our clients do discreetly locate the TV behind a panel, doors or art, but with modern video technology, slim television designs and minimal mounting, the TV can easily become art, with family photos, scenic locations or even fine art changing with the mood of the homeowner.

Without the TV on, it is no more of a black hole than an unused fireplace, although the TV can be used all year with no regard for the season or the weather.

If the proportions are good, I don't see how the TV is inferior to some other piece of inexpensive artwork. Chosen wisely, it can be the perfect focal point.

Having said all of that, I know a number of people that will never have a TV in the living room, because it hinders conversation.

To each his own.
July 5, 2013 at 12:07pm     
mymellow
THE BLACK HOLE is precisely my point. That lovely white and surrounding wood is ruined how can you not see that?
July 5, 2013 at 8:49pm   
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
Au contraire mon ami, I see exactly that. Black hole on top, black hole on the bottom. Proportion is everything. How is the TV any more of a black hole than the fireplace? Do you hate the fireplace too? If not, why not?

There are plenty of reasons not to put a TV above a fireplace, but it often is the only practical solution. You personally don't have to like it. But saying it ruins everything is like saying ketchup ruins a hot dog. For some people it might, but you can hardly make that kind of generalization when the subject is so personal.

Is this discussion pushing your buttons? I mean, you brought it up . . . were you expecting more people to jump on the bandwagon?
July 6, 2013 at 7:47am   
mymellow
NO not at all. On both counts. The black hole on the bottom is the only one that counts. The fire place is exquisite.
July 6, 2013 at 9:56am   
Is this hall light too big?
I just finished painting the walls, trim, & ceiling...
Help for house colors and curb appeal
Hey all! My brother in law and I just took down a pretty...
I want to create a romantic portico on a split level
My new Mahogany door will arrive in the warehouse this...
Bathroom remodeling
Okay, so we are remodeling a bathroom that is basically...
Clash of the doors. Also need a pantry
Closet confusion. Left door linen closet 5 shelves-...