Dining Room Help
mcat29
Hi! I want to change the chairs to the dining room to ghost chairs...yes or no? Any suggesstions? Or leave the ones I have and jazz up fabric?

TY in advance!!
I don't think that the chairs are the problem What is the problem is the huge china cabinet. I would remove it and buy a small console or buffet on legs to put on the back wall. It looks like a 54" piece could fit.

Then you could center the table under a chandelier. Remove the table cloth and use placemats when you actually eat at the table. Place a vertical mirror or a painting above the console or buffet. I t would be nice to have draperies on your windows and an interesting paint color on the walls. In order to determine a color for you, we would need to see or hear about the colors of adjoining areas.

After you have made these changes, then you could determine if you need to change the chairs.
Marble Console Table
Mirrored Hall Chest
July 5, 2013 at 6:56AM     
Hope you take Caroyln's spot on advice! ;)
July 5, 2013 at 6:59AM     
Ann
You're in good hands with Carolyn - all great suggestions!
July 5, 2013 at 7:01AM     
mcat29
Thanks so much for your help Carolyn!! Actually that's the wrong pic I uploaded...attached is the correct photo (table is different, matches china cabinet) Ignore the red drape over window, only there so I can take picture. Next week we are opening ceiling to center the chandelier. The china cabinet has to stay, I have to work around the cabinet. (Ignore the small table on the back wall, that's not staying there). I was thinking of putting a console where the small table is now and a mirror on that wall as well. As for colors, I was thinking of doing accent color just on back wall...maybe two walls...(not really sure) of BM Sharkskin or BM Fairviewtaupe....adjoining room is living room and I have to paint there too and choose color. THANKS IN ADVANCE for your help!!!!
July 5, 2013 at 7:39AM   
mcat29
Here is pic
July 5, 2013 at 7:42AM   
Could the china cabinet go in the living room? If not, then I'd remove the item on the back wall and not replace it except with a framed mirror on the wall. I'd keep the room formal since you have a formal table, china cabinet and chandelier. Add formal dining chairs, draperies, and paint the walls all one color, with no accent wall.
July 5, 2013 at 7:55AM        Thanked by mcat29
mcat29
TY Carolyn!! No unfortunately it can not go in living room. Any suggestions on color? Curtains?
July 5, 2013 at 7:58AM   
indianpatti
Can you move the china cabinet to the back wall, left of the red-curtained window?
July 5, 2013 at 8:01AM      Thanked by mcat29
mcat29
Unfortunately that is what I tried first and it covered half of the window....I really wanted to try to downplay the formality and modernize it a bit
July 5, 2013 at 8:16AM   
I don't care for accent walls that are pierced by windows or doors, so the only wall I'd accent might be the one behind the china. I think once you do window treatments it will be ok.
July 5, 2013 at 8:47AM        Thanked by mcat29
felixgrantham
Agree w/ Carolyn 100%. The chairs are too clunky/rustic for the other very formal furniture. The only thing I'd add is - buy a rug! It will warm up the space. Then select chair fabric to coordinate with the rug.

I understand the need for the bar cart, if you don't have room for it elsewhere, move it to the left of the entry so that it is less of a focal point.
July 5, 2013 at 9:03AM        Thanked by mcat29
mcb, for the paint color, I would select a shade lighter than the BM sharkskin you are considering. Then cream draperies in silk. I know you'd prefer an eclectic mix, but it won't work with the china cabinet in the room.
July 5, 2013 at 10:02AM        Thanked by mcat29
mcat29
Color recommendations?? In the grey family? Blue/green?? and then what color for adjoining living room?
July 5, 2013 at 8:31PM   
Try linen slipcovers for chairs. Add a large piece of modern canvas artat back corner seen on first impression -could try banquette on wall opposite cabinet w modern paisley / something to bridge
July 5, 2013 at 8:52PM   
I would recommend a "wheat" color. This wall color is called Autumn Wheat. But, you'll need to test several shades to get just right. If you must keep the oversized china hutch in the room, I would suggest no other furniture in the room and a nice transitional art piece on the left of the window and pretty curtains only.

July 5, 2013 at 9:27PM   
If you use BM Heather Gray in the dining room, then I suggest you go a shade lighter in the living room, using Silver Marlin.
July 6, 2013 at 12:50PM        Thanked by mcat29
Need Help/Ideas W/ Living Room/Dining Room. Layout help & design help
I've included larger and more pictures in the thread...
Dining room size vs dining table... Help please!!
Hi! So I am purchasing my very first dining table...
Living room dining room turned great room Help
Green parson chairs keep paint red walls some new color...
Need help for living room dining room one room paint color
Living room dining room Would like to do all white....
Need help redesigning this yellow bathroom
Please help suggest how we can give this bathroom a...
New entry needed for curb appeal!
My parents are getting a new roof but they need to...
Please help me create a romantic bedroom!
I saw this quilt in the PB store, fell in love with...
Color
My couch is a smoke grey my wall is in the brown family...
Looking for advice on making this entry more welcoming
We need some help making our new house a home! Does...