Symmetry or no?
Angie Brocato Dussouy
I have a window and a door on the same wall with a fireplace in the middle. I am having trouble with window treatments because I feel like there needs to be some symmetry. Any ideas?
motownmom
Depending on how much light you like (I love it myself), and how much privacy you need, you could do a spring rod on the window, with fabric between one at the top or bottom, either a full one or half window on the bottom. They make curtain rods that attach to doors, above and below the window. The "curtains" for this then are gathered at the top and bottom of the window on the rods attached to the door. Something like this, but you don't have to "cinch" in the middle:
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Lush-Decor-Green-72-inch-Sonora-Door-Panels-Set-of-2/6362159/product.html?cid=202290&kid=9553000357392&track=pspla&ef_id=UdbScgAABR7ohlGe:20130705140434:s

I've seen them in all different shades, usually something sheer that allows the light to filter through, not block it. You could buy 2 of the same curtains for the window and hang them, or, do a similar look over the whole window, or just the bottom half.

I only recommend the above because of your feeling about the symmetry issue. You don't have to do that, however.
July 5, 2013 at 7:07am     
anetusa
I would suggest doing roman style window shade, like this "http://www.potterybarn.com/products/grosgrain-ribbon-roman-shade/?pkey=ccotton-collection&" to create an illusion of double windows and symmetry. Hight of the window and the door seems about the same. You can also install a regular window drapes above both and fold the to the side. Try light cotton on silk drapes for letting more natural light or heavier Belgian linen style for more define look. You can also install both at the same time. this will give you a lot more privacy and noise filtration as long as excellent coverage of window/door. Good Luck with it :) Aneta
July 5, 2013 at 7:13am     
Plantation shutters.
July 5, 2013 at 7:13am     
Whispar Design
Do you need privacy or light control? It's hard to see from the photo what is on the other side of the window/door.
One option you might consider is stationary panels framing the door/window to soften the wall. If you need privacy/light control then add low profile shades or plantation shutters as suggested.
cornice-window-treatment2.jpg
Multi-functional living room featuring a cable supported media center.
July 5, 2013 at 8:03am     
Angie Brocato Dussouy
Do you all think it needs to be symmetrical or should I do drapes on window and nothing on door?
July 5, 2013 at 8:47am   
I would not put drapes around that door.
July 5, 2013 at 9:29am     
felixgrantham
I would do panel drapes on both window & door. Even if you never use them on the door, they will give a more cohesive and warmer appearance to the room.
July 5, 2013 at 9:30am     
felixgranthan- you and I could have a great debate on this one:)
July 5, 2013 at 9:33am     
Makes me think of a guy wearing a hair piece. He might look better with it but at the same time everyone knows it's a hair peice. If you want the look of window, put in a window. If it can't be a window and it has to be a door, treat it like a door. Blinds or Plantations on both!
July 5, 2013 at 9:36am   
jts0730
I would lean more symmetrical, and not do draps on either window or door.
July 5, 2013 at 9:42am     
Angie Brocato Dussouy
Since this is the main space of the house I'm looking for something a little "fancier" than blinds. I have bamboo roman shades in the kitchen area but wanted dressier in the living room. I also want to be able to pull some more color in the room with the window treatments. I would love drapes that pull to side of door (but can pull closed at night for privacy). I'm worried they will get hung up in door though. I'm liking all of your ideas! Thank you all! Keep em coming!
July 5, 2013 at 9:42am   
Angie Brocato Dussouy
This is what I have in our bedroom. One is slid partially closed and the other wide open. I was thinking this for the living room too but not sure it will 1. Look good and 2. Not get caught up in the door
July 5, 2013 at 9:58am   
Angie Brocato Dussouy
Better pic
July 5, 2013 at 9:59am   
Angie- I love your whole bedroom BUT sorry not the drapes. Can I ask what the purpose is to have one drape pulled back and one partially? I really am trying to be helpful yet honest.
July 5, 2013 at 10:03am   
CellularWindowShades.com
Cellular shades can stack compactly and allow for future layering. Make sure you use the same lift type (cordless is great for doors) and matching fabrics, and I think it will bring the balance you crave.
July 5, 2013 at 10:09am     
Angie Brocato Dussouy
No I just did that to show the difference :) they are normally both pulled back but at night we close them
July 5, 2013 at 10:19am   
Angie if you are looking for some color, paint the fireplace wall another color. If you are looking for fancier- plantation shutters are very rich looking. White plantations against a darker colored wall would look beautiful., in your bedroom too :)
July 5, 2013 at 10:28am   
pattiegoode
Considering your desire for symmetry, you'll like this blog post: http://www.twotwentyone.net/2012/08/how-to-make-curtains-diy/

Personally, I wouldn't do two panels on the door. If your set on having equal treatments, I would do a single panel on the door so that it could stack toward the corner & leave the opening clear. I had grommet panels on a french door & they were super easy to slide open & close when I wanted. That said, I'm not a fan of printed window treatments and much prefer to add accent colors in the form of art, rugs, pillows, & accessories, while keeping the window treatments classic & neutral.
July 5, 2013 at 9:14pm   
Angie Brocato Dussouy
I agree I wouldn't do two panels On each...I would do one that opened to the corner. I'm still not sure that is what I'm going to do though. It may be a while before I do anything :(. We are also on a right budget so that limits some choices
July 6, 2013 at 7:54am   
soberg
I agree strongly with your goal of symmetry but don't see an obvious solution. Perhaps very simple drapes, close to the wall color, each a single large panel that can be pushed or tied to the outside, then pulled across. I'd keep the hardware the same on both. Then, make the mantel a high contrast focal area. You need more color there to really draw the eye and set the mood.
July 6, 2013 at 8:23am     
Matilda Bos Design Studio
Hi Angie......Treat the window with a rod as close to the ceiling as possible, hang simple panels like a washed
Belgian Linen on loops with clips. The door paint the interior frame a dark charcoal, if it can stay without a covering
that's what I would do, if not use a down-up duet.
July 6, 2013 at 1:27pm   
Symmetry or no?
I have a window and a door on the same wall with the...
Is symmetry needed with kitchen cabinets flanking a window?
To make a window larger a corner cabinet will loose...
Symmetry issue
Having a difficult time figuring out what to do with...
How to add symmetry to colonial exterior
Hello! I'm struggling on how to add symmetry to my...
Does anyone have a sink facing a wall?
Planning a new build. Don't want anything on my island...
Help need advice for crown molding not butting up to kitchen cabinets
Hi I just had some crown molding installed and my contractor...
How do you submit photos onto Houzz
Just wondering how you add photos on Houzz.
Need help with art above bed
We have a patch work headboard in taupes and very soft...