Staircase Ledge
lizcolley
Any recommendations for dealing with this ugly ledge in the staircase of our new house? Someone suggested lining it with family photos! The white 'stripe' of baseboard is the opposite of a nice feature but the builder would not discuss any options or alternatives. Please help!
kvensel
Tough one. Photos or plants. Maybe cool antiques if it fits with your decor
0 Likes   Thanked by lizcolley    July 5, 2013 at 5:49PM
I would turn it into a display area for artwork, placing framed art leaning against the wall. If you have children at home, the nearest, reachable area could be frames holding art by the children which is changed out periodically. I think that beyond the first 3 or 4', you just have to ignore it. But I'll be eager to see what others say.
0 Likes   Thanked by lizcolley    July 5, 2013 at 5:52PM
Sasha Retana
I agree that baseboard only confuses things. Then it's neither a display shelf nor really floor... But it can't be that hard to remove? I would put family photos definitely. They'll smile at you am each time you go up the stairs.
0 Likes   Thanked by lizcolley    July 5, 2013 at 6:27PM
Sasha Retana
Or out photos on the wall and random figurines on the ledge, but only towards the middle so you don't step on them.
0 Likes   Thanked by lizcolley    July 5, 2013 at 6:29PM
Sasha Retana
Or look at this:
1 Like   Thanked by lizcolley    July 5, 2013 at 6:30PM
88 Atelier for Architecture
To make it disappear you can furr it out with drywall.
1 Like   Thanked by lizcolley    July 5, 2013 at 6:35PM
Anne
Having raised a few kids, this ledge looks dangerously attractive to boys! I can see boys daring each other to walk out on there. Can you post a picture a few feet back so we can see the wall?
1 Like   Thanked by lizcolley    July 5, 2013 at 6:39PM
Sasha Retana
True about boys...
0 Likes   Thanked by lizcolley    July 5, 2013 at 6:45PM
jabber629
I would box it in and use it as a niche to display a favorite piece of artwork.
0 Likes   Thanked by lizcolley    July 5, 2013 at 6:49PM
ronny360
Remove the baseboard, finish the wall all the way down to the wood floor with drywall joint compound and repaint the wall.
You will get a cleaner look ,like these shelves:

0 Likes   Thanked by lizcolley    July 5, 2013 at 7:21PM
HI -- This is almost like my stairs but mine never had the wood or the baseboard ,it's just finished drywall . I think the baseboard there looks silly and is not needed .I will never understand why builders trim these out like this. Baseboards are for protecting the wall from shoes etc , and I don't think anyone walks on the ledge . If you can paint it out to the wall color or just remove it and then just add a trim piece of quarter round to match the wood or painted the wall color. . After a few attempts of different décor items on my ledge ,I now have nothing on it and that has been the better thing to do ,it just looks better. I am not one for dusting hard to reach clutter . I have never had any kids / boys trying to walk on it . I think it is better to just keep it clean and bare , it was never intended to be a decorative feature .
1 Like   Thanked by lizcolley    July 5, 2013 at 7:40PM
tkjs68
Hi I have one of these as well and mine is a disaster. It is white plaster board the same as the walls. When the kids were little, they would use the ledge as a guide up and down the stairs. Dirty hand prints. The ledge gathers dust and discolours the paint. The paint has chipped away over time. A professional painter came in to quote on repairs. Their solution was exactly what you have. At least the wood trim protects it from dust and paint deterioration. The wood trim is hardier than a plaster corner too. My vote is learn to love it as it is better than mine. If you come up with another solution, I would love to hear it.
0 Likes   Thanked by lizcolley    July 6, 2013 at 4:54AM
What color will you NEVER find in your house?
It's usually pretty easy to tell the colors that people...
Colour to reupholster a sofa
I am going to be upholstering my large sofa,I have...
Coursework assigned by design professors?
When you were in school for interior design, what kind...
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...