Need help on this house
karate41
what should be done in this room ?
howellmsue
Shew, thats a lot of stone and wood paneling. I like the fireplace. If you cannot remove the floor, I would cover it with the biggest rug (not a busy one) that I could and paint the paneled walls. Without knowing your style or what you like it is hard to help much more than that.
July 5, 2013 at 7:27pm   
the essentials inside
howellmsue - good ideas!

karate41 - are you thinking about knocking down the wall? Can you post some more views of the room?

Lyvonne
July 5, 2013 at 7:30pm     
studio10001
This appears to be an enclosed porch. If you are treating it as such, an Adorondack treatment would work well here. If you can give some more angles/details re. any existing furniture, family requirements or druthers, you'll find more specific suggestions. I could easily see this as the place to enjoy wine after dinner, and coffee in the morning. Nice space. http://ts1.explicit.bing.net/th?id=H.5029725599893676&pid=15.1
July 5, 2013 at 7:36pm   
cathyjoco
Wow! Is this an enclosed porch? It can be very pretty. The fireplace desperately needs to be cleaned. Paint your walls or pull off the paneling. I am not sure what is on the left side windows? What are you using this room for?
July 5, 2013 at 7:38pm   
marybyrne
Wow I love the floor, I would not cover it with a rug.
July 5, 2013 at 7:45pm   
studio10001
Your paneling looks like reclaimed wood to me, and is in keeping with a rustic style.Whitewashing fits the look, too. What I like about the idea of both is that they bridge the indoor /outdoor gap better than paint or wallboard could.
July 5, 2013 at 7:47pm   
bevballew
What room is this?
July 5, 2013 at 7:49pm   
lovethesoul
My parents den used to look almost identical except they had brown carpet to match the paneling and stone. Lol

They finally took y advice and decided to Sheetrock and paint vs paint the paneling. They were going to keep the stone hearth along withe the concrete wood box and the stone on the wall. They tried that stock on brick paneling over the rock wall but hated it a month later. They again decided to listen and had the stone hearth and wood box jackhammered out. It was hard labor but we did it and they sheet rocked the stone wall. The den is huge and now serves as a bedroom.
July 5, 2013 at 8:08pm   
jcorn1
What is your favorite feature in the room? Currently, the floor, fireplace, and paneling are each fighting for attention. The paneling is the easiest to minimize if you simply change the color. The sliding glass door seems to lead directly to a lawn? so a rug may not be practical.

We faced the same issue and a rug was a nightmare. However, your furniture, accessories, and window and door treatment could minimize the floor and create balance.. Also, since the room is currently bare everything stands out.

If you are mostly in love with the floor consider painting the fireplace to coordinate with the floor IF this type of fireplace can even be painted.

This room has potential!
July 5, 2013 at 8:33pm   
Washed wood. Vs painted wood best tone to wash is rarely white -best tone is usually warm neutral so result is natural. Ivory /scrub lightest to camel or taupe or warm gray darkest mid tone. Here, because texture from. Stone is strong i recomend paint -test sw kilim beige or lighter wool sk . ein. Add a simple neutral inoor outdoor straw rug bound w gray. Paint trim ecru tone or gray to match stone. Paint brick in recess wall color hang thick drapery rod wide so canvas tan panels hang free of glass when open ur
July 5, 2013 at 8:33pm   
Do you like the connections to borrow light into adjacent Roms? Perfect home office out of flow butnadjacent - could shop arch salvage for old winnows wncharm to fit openings to managen sound
T
July 5, 2013 at 8:38pm   
HI -- I only like the floor , that's a keeper . I would get rid of everything else . A new fireplace with stacked or ledge stone or sheet granite or metal or concrete . I think a raw concrete would look great with those floors. Check the electrical when removing the paneling. Then maybe some new black metal frame French window /patio doors .Then a three seat neutral sofa long and low on open legs and two matching lounge / arm chairs also in a neutral , then rustic / ethnic / mud cloth fabric accent pillows , standing lamps and some basket tables and a iron and glass coffee table and a small accent table or two . Simple linen drapes on a iron rod .And some big art /paintings etc. Also a ethnic or natural fiber chunky woven carpet for winter and a sisal for the summer. I can't see the ceiling -- but that could be a natural tone T&G wood or reuse the old paneling on the ceiling with a bit of a antique white wash .
July 5, 2013 at 9:17pm   
pattiegoode
We need more information and photos. 1 of every wall & the ceiling. It looks like there are 2 pass-throughs & that this is an addition to the house. Where are you located & how do you want to use the room? Also, what's your budget? I love stone!
July 5, 2013 at 10:36pm      Thanked by karate41
nwduck
It seems from your ideabook that this room has elements of everything that appeal to you. A simple indoor/outdoor rug, neutral drapes, neutral comfy/slipcovered furnishings, an interesting/vintage round coffee table that relates to the wood wall, great accessories that speak to you over/on the fireplace (a bit of sparkle, maybe?). Cut some 3" +/- round wood to fill in the little opening on the left (cut ends out), clean the stone, a nice screen. Once it's furnished, I think you'll love it.
July 5, 2013 at 11:23pm      Thanked by karate41
karate41
I am getting rid of the paneling and opening up to the kitchen. So it will a step up to the kitchen. I am also adding cathedral ceiling here, but I still think this fireplace is too dark and floor is also dark .
July 6, 2013 at 3:55am   
studio10001
karate 41, if you are extending the kitchen and gutting the materials, use whatever flows best w the kitchen -which we cannot yet see. ( Craigslist will be happy about your reclaimed boards). Best of luck.
July 6, 2013 at 8:15am        Thanked by karate41
Do you grow your own veg?
Homegrown carrots, potatoes, tomatoes... There's nothing...
Family room furniture placement
We are struggling with furniture placement in our new...
Will these choices work????
Went to Ethan Allen shopping for new living room furniture...
Dingy dining room help
I have slowly been updating the color scheme in the...
Should I replace the cabinets?
I bought a house from the 60s. Wallpaper, shag carpet,...