Reno finished now need help with colour
minmin2u
Hi All,
We have just finished remodelling our home. And I am stuck with paint and furniture layout. What is now our lounge room was once our kitchen.
North facing (north coast Australia). The floors will be sanded and polished and furniture will be replaced. So it's a blank canvas.
I really like clean lines but I don't want clinical white.
Our kitchen is warm white high gloss.

Any ideas are welcome must be child friendly as we have two boys 4 and 2.
houssaon
I wouldn't start with wall color. Pick out your upholstery and a rug. Then you'll have an idea what color should go on the walls.
July 5, 2013 at 11:17pm     
Where is the front door? But, at first glance, I think I'd consider the tv on the back wall (where the loveseat is now) and float a sofa facing the tv and four swivel type chairs on each side of the coffee table. Do you like this arrangement?

July 5, 2013 at 11:27pm     
manoux
ou can go here: http://www.dulux.com.au/colour/colour-wall and have a look. Personally I would use something like Raw cotton A162, or some other neutral color, definitely not white.Since you are going to get new furniture and everything, you have freedom of choice. Without a floorplan can not figure out what happens in the continuation of the room, so don't know if it is open to other rooms or not. This is something to consider when thinking about colors.
From what I can see so far, I would chose a corner sofa a small coffee table and a really special armchair to the accent of the room.
July 5, 2013 at 11:35pm     
manoux
I would put that armchair on the left side of the window and have a low wide shelf or open box wooden construction all along underneath the window to create a continuous sleek line, to use to put 2-3 decorative pieces, to lay some books etc and you can also put the TV if you like in the corner. However it all depends on how you want to use the room and what kind of activities you want to engage in. For example do you need bookshelves? Do you need a desk?What do you need in that room? You can create very different arrangements depending on what it is you need and want in that room.
July 5, 2013 at 11:44pm   
minmin2u
So the first two pics are from my front door. The house was originally a very small to bed room.
July 6, 2013 at 1:30am   
minmin2u
Sorry the first and third pic is from the front door.
July 6, 2013 at 1:32am   
minmin2u
@manoux when we bought the house the living area was raw cotton.....

Thanks everyone. Now to convince he husband to let my shop before we paint ;-)
July 6, 2013 at 1:39am     
manoux
I understand better now. So how do you want to use this room? What do you need to have in there to be able to do the activities you want? For example: want to watch TV = need TV space, need to have my books and read=need bookcase etc
July 6, 2013 at 1:44am   
minmin2u
So basically it will simply be the tv room/adult lounge room. Next year we are enclosing the deck to create a family play room for the kids which will open up to a new larger deck.
July 6, 2013 at 1:50am   
manoux
how many people will have to sit there at any one time?
July 6, 2013 at 2:06am   
manoux
no bookcase needed?
July 6, 2013 at 2:06am   
minmin2u
On a day to day basis two adults and two kids. And if people come over generally the guys will be at the telly and the girls on the deck. I really like your idea of a corner lounge. Would I use a left or right corner?
July 6, 2013 at 2:08am   
minmin2u
No no book cases we have a large book case built in the back room and a small office.
July 6, 2013 at 2:09am   
manoux
the corner couch/lounge would have the larger part against the wall opposite the window and the smaller part on the other wall.
July 6, 2013 at 2:18am   
manoux
so one of the two adults can actually lie down to watch TV LOL
July 6, 2013 at 2:19am   
minmin2u
Ok awesome. That's what I was struggling with. I wasn't sure as you enter straight into the Lounge room if I should do it the other way to close it off sort of create a divide as such. By doing it the way you have suggested I could also add a armchair if extra seating was required.
July 6, 2013 at 2:21am   
manoux
the coffee table shape will depend on the size of your corner couch. If it is a small one you would need a square shape or round shape table if larger you could afford a more rectangular shape.( the point is for the table not to stick out of the end line of the couch while allowing space to walk through)
July 6, 2013 at 2:22am   
manoux
I also struggled with the idea of having it the other way so as to create a divide, but I finally thought that this might create an obstruction in the flow
July 6, 2013 at 2:23am     
manoux
However what I might have liked if this were my house, would be to frame the opening to the kitchen with a structure like narrow bookcase left and right and on top of it. so as to accentuate the sense that this is a living room and to somehow separate the two a bit.
July 6, 2013 at 2:24am   
manoux
The biggest problem I see here is the kitchen actually and more specifically the eating area. Seems like that table is in the middle of a passage from all sides, not very tranquil to eat. I suppose you can not do anything about that but at least if the table is round the circulation flow would be smoother
July 6, 2013 at 2:26am   
minmin2u
Great so now I have worked that out....I just need colour. I have painted the walls a number of colours to try and complement the timber floors.
July 6, 2013 at 2:27am   
manoux
a color that never fails is a grayish beige, or grayish light cocoa color, or linen color . Color has been my nightmare in the past, and those online sites may be indicative but one can never really be sure about the actual color! Better go get a color sampler from a shop and go back home and check it out.
July 6, 2013 at 2:31am   
manoux
natural wicker from the bottom neutral palette is also a color that has worked well for me, it is very versatile and gives a good feeling, not too warm not too cold not too light.
July 6, 2013 at 2:40am   
minmin2u
The dinning is the next issue. You are right in that it is a walk way.

So my plan is to order my furniture. Then my wall colour. THEN to tackle my dinning area as that needs flooring and that's a whole other issue.
July 6, 2013 at 3:22am   
minmin2u
Love the natural wicker
July 6, 2013 at 3:31am   
I changed it!!!!!!!! Now need help to finish the master bedroom room
Changed the color from brown to a grayish brown. Need...
Just finished the foyer now on to the powder room help need inspirati
Calling all creative humans with ideas on how to uplift...
Sherwin Williams Gray suggestions
What are the most frequently used grays from Sherwin...
Need help selecting sofa that is scratch proof!
I am on the hunt for a new sofa and really want something...
Pool table and rug
Would you ever put a pool table on an area rug on a...
Which shades make you pale?
The colour of spaces you inhabit can make or break...
Describe eclectic in one word!
It can be tricky describing a specific style in one...