I want a shower in my guest bathroom
Nancy Walton
I would like to keep the jetted tub, as it is very relaxing, but I'd like to add a shower so guests have options. The entire tub is cultured marble, the only concern is the drywall getting wet. I don't really want to spend big bucks with tiling the entire wall and would like to keep the decor items, and thinking of something like Restoration Hardware shower curtain rod for clawfoot tubs might work mounted from the ceiling?
Nancy Walton
I was thinking of using the European telephone-type shower handle, instade of plumbing a showerhead in the wall. Also wondering if I should accent the vertical edge of the tub along the wall with glass mosaic I have on the opposite wall.
July 6, 2013 at 11:17AM   
Anne
Is there no room for a free standing shower in this bathroom? Can you attach pictures of the rest of the room?
July 6, 2013 at 11:23AM   
nasmijati
@Nancy. The European shower wand attached on the wall along the long edge of the tub was my first thought. I would drill through the marble for installation instead of the wallboard.

I do not think using the dark tile around the tub would look the best. I like it where it is, near the sink. The is such a contrast with the light marble, that to use it as a border above the marble of the tub will create a dark line and chop up the airiness of that space.
July 6, 2013 at 11:51AM     
Nancy Walton
The tub on the diagonal takes up 1/3 of the space in this bathroom. The soffit goes from the far corner of the room to 2/3 of the long wall in the room. The first photo is taken from the doorway. The second photo is taken from the far coner of the room, just beyond where you can see the towels hanging in the third photo, which is also taken from the doorway. There would be room for a regular tub and a free-standing shower in this room, but I don't want to get into the expense of renovating the entire bathroom.
July 6, 2013 at 11:58AM   
Nancy Walton
Bunping for more comments.
July 6, 2013 at 8:59PM   
kathleen MK
One of those old time oval shower curtain rods hung from the ceiling would work but you might need two curtains and it might look crowded. Any chance of getting solid pieces of the cultured marble to cover the wall? It might be less trouble than tile. I think the telephone shower is a great idea, because we struggle to shampoo in a similar guest bath at my in laws. I have joked about replacing our tub faucet with a kitchen one with sprayer. Hope you can find a solution as elegant as your bathroom.
July 6, 2013 at 10:12PM        Thanked by Nancy Walton
Yunfu HuanJian Stone Ltd.
Hi Nancy, we make natural marble mosaic tile in nice design. I would like suggest to use some mosaic to decorate the wall so that you do not have to spend big bucks with tiling the entire wall.

May be you could use some border on wall? I attached some borders for you, and we may also check more design via http://www.mosaics.cc/mosaic-border

If you need more info, welcome to ask me. My name is Cobby, and my email is service@marblemosaic.cc

Anyway, hope you can find the best solution for your project ;)
July 7, 2013 at 3:31AM   
Nancy Walton
Update: I ordered a Roman faucet with hand-held shower fixture, and I also ordered a ceiling track for my shower curtain. Now all I need to do is find the right fabric for the shower curtain. I'm planning to use clear plastic fabric for the liner. Will post pictures when I'm done. Still debating about the tile trim.
July 9, 2013 at 11:11AM     
richardparker
Hi Nancy, I have a ceiling track for my shower curtain and love it. If you find anyone who makes relaxed or soft roman shades out of shower curtain fabric for my bathroom window (over the tub), please let me know!
July 10, 2013 at 4:57AM   
Nancy Walton
Where are you located?
July 10, 2013 at 10:28AM   
nasmijati
@Nancy. How is your project coming along?
July 18, 2013 at 6:28AM   
Nancy Walton
I just received the faucet and track for my bathroom yesterday--woo hoo! Now to get the fiance to put it up and find fabric (which is really hard to do) to go with the bathroom. I will post photos when it's finished. I might have to design my own fabric and have it printed by Spoonflower, I've got to see how much it will cost.
July 18, 2013 at 10:00AM   
yoga22
I like the tile you have chosen above the vanity! Wow... design your own fabric... fabulous! Love the color!
July 18, 2013 at 10:29AM   
General Plumbing Supply
My only question is do you have access under the tub to replace the faucet?
July 18, 2013 at 10:54AM   
Nancy Walton
Yes. The marble is caulked in place
July 18, 2013 at 7:08PM   
General Plumbing Supply
Perfect. So often we talk to people who want to change the tub faucet and cannot access under the tub.
July 18, 2013 at 8:11PM      Thanked by Nancy Walton
Adrianne
Nancy.. What if you did some netting or tulle on the outside of your shower curtain?

July 18, 2013 at 8:21PM        Thanked by Nancy Walton
Nancy Walton
Hadn't thought of that...
July 18, 2013 at 9:36PM   
Nancy Walton
Well, we started removing the marble pieces we needed to access the faucet and discovered some blackened framing under the tub. Must've been a leak at one time, but we need to assess whether ther is mold or not. Best solution? Pull out the damaged framing and replace? We're also thinking of removing the step, which we never use and replacing the skirting with something else. Because we're taking out the step we need to replace the flooring. So the next question: should we skirt the tub with beadboard, or should we tile the skirting to match the floor? In either case we will be putting in an access door for the plumbing. I will post a photo tomorrow.
July 22, 2013 at 12:36AM   
Nancy Walton
Well, here is the photo with the black framind--UGH! We have decided to call the plumber, as we don't want to close it all up if that IS mold, so we are going to replace the supply pipes from the elbow to the faucets, spout and shower wand.
July 22, 2013 at 6:48PM   
Hi Nancy. Are you really sure you need that shower curtain? The tubs in Europe that I've used have the hand held shower spray but no curtain. And since you'll be the primary user of it, just speak French while in the tub and use the shower spray judiciously! I love your colors!
July 22, 2013 at 8:17PM        Thanked by Nancy Walton
Nancy Walton
Actually, this is the guest bathroom, so I rarely would shower in here. Most of the people I know who would visit have never been to Europe, much less know how to shower without a shower curtain, LOL. I'VE been to Europe and know how, but you know men! Can't hit the toilet, much less contain a shower to the tub! I've called my contractor to call the plumber, so we're waiting on him--he's a little slow (gas fumes, I think), but he's good.

We've worked out the details on the shower curtain, now just have to find the appropriate stud (!) to hang the slider bar on.
July 22, 2013 at 10:05PM     
Nancy Walton
What were your thoughts on the skirting for the tub? We're probably going to have the tub coated, so it will be white. This pink cultured marble has been driving me crazy since we moved here 2 1/2 years ago.
July 22, 2013 at 10:08PM   
I would like to see you repeat the mosaic tile that is above the vanity. Is it still available? If that's not possible, how about wood paneling to match the vanity. With both the mosaic and the wood, you would have a removable panel to access the plumbing.
July 23, 2013 at 10:40AM   
Nancy Walton
Yes, the mosaic is still available @Home Depot. I just don't want the area to be too dark, I guess. My fiance doesn't want any more of the mosaic--he's even rather I take it off the wall, but I said, "NO!"
July 23, 2013 at 12:12PM   
It would be best to repeat an element that is already in the room, so what are the other possibilities?
July 23, 2013 at 12:40PM   
Nancy Walton
I will be replacing my floor, so thought I could bring that up for the skirting.
July 23, 2013 at 2:49PM   
Nancy Walton
I guess I would have to say my favorite so far is the first one.
July 23, 2013 at 2:50PM     
What color is it in person. It looks mauve on my screen.
July 23, 2013 at 3:16PM   
Nancy Walton
It looks like a beige background with a yellow-brown striae in it.
July 23, 2013 at 3:27PM   
Nancy Walton
Of course, I will have to get a sample to make sure it "goes".
July 23, 2013 at 3:27PM   
I suggest you also get a sample of the second one, but you're prob getting samples of all 4.
July 23, 2013 at 3:40PM   
Nancy Walton
Mai oui!
July 23, 2013 at 5:23PM   
D'accord!
July 23, 2013 at 5:26PM   
General Plumbing Supply
Well yes, but not all are willing to take that path.
July 23, 2013 at 9:20PM   
Nancy Walton
The point is not to cause to much rebuilding costs. This is already getting expensive, with having to re-do the floor.
July 23, 2013 at 9:21PM   
Nancy Walton
Yup, that's the old Money Pit at work.
July 23, 2013 at 10:16PM   
Jeannie Nguyen
Hi Nancy! Any updates on the bathroom? I would love to see some photos of your progress.
August 12, 2013 at 11:04AM   
Nancy Walton
I don't think you would want to see photos the way it is right now. LOL! The update is this: when we pulled off the cultered marble surround, we discovered that a previous faucet leak caused some mold, so part of the subfloor has to be replaced. Can anyone say money pit? Anyway, we have decided to replace the whirlpool tub with a regular, standard size tub, build a plumbing wall and have a tub/shower combo. There will be an accent strip of the glass mosaic around the shower surround. So more demo and construction...
August 12, 2013 at 12:13PM     
Jeannie Nguyen
Progress is progress! Glad to hear it's going. Please do share your updated photos when you get a chance, I'm dying to see how it turned out! :)
August 12, 2013 at 5:30PM   
Nancy Walton
Contractors coming tomorrow. In the meantime, we're saving money by doing demo work ourselves. Progress photo...
August 18, 2013 at 1:43PM     
It's not too bad a job when you have a handsome helper!
August 18, 2013 at 1:48PM   
Nancy Walton
Carolyn, you got that right!
August 18, 2013 at 2:01PM   
Linda Doyle
I read your comments. I also lost my 37 year old daughter last October. She was a chaplain at a VA hospital...It hurts.
August 19, 2013 at 12:18AM   
Barbara Roe
You sound really sweet to take care of those people with out even batting an eye, but what you really need is a you spot, where you can call your own even if it were only for a min.
August 19, 2013 at 11:38AM   
Nancy Walton
@ Linda Doyle: I'm not sure what you're referring to, maybe you read someone else's post and posted here by mistake? @ Barbara Roe: Ditto.
August 19, 2013 at 6:38PM   
Linda Doyle
Nancy, I thought this was a special give-a-way for a dream, such as a pool, yard, or room. etc. we retired here 19 months ago & built what I thought was our dream home. My daughter died in Oct 2012. The contractor left the house un-finished. He skipped out once he was paid. We were forced to pay him because of the length of the construction loan. I need help finishing the house. Also, I must find some peace of mind at home. Husband has dementia - it just can't get any worse. The only reason we moved 200 miles here was to be with our only child! We already have a covered patio, so all that would be done for a sun room -is to put up 3 walls. A place to read. A flower garden would give me peace if I could read in it. I must find someplace for peace out of this house. My husband NEVER leaves the tv. He watches the news 16 hours a day. that alone is driving me nuts. We only have 1 TV. It just seems there is NO help. Yes, I've been forgotten in this world. If this is not the right place to put this, please let me know where to write this. You So Much! Linda D
August 19, 2013 at 6:57PM   
Nancy Walton
I'm very sorry for your losses, Linda. This thread is for my bathroom, so you must have seen my post on the other Poll for what you want in a backyard. OK, so now I know what you are referring to--makes sense now! In that contest, it is a pair of Houzz slippers that you win. Yeah, big deal. (I finally read the small print, LOL.

Linda, you need to connect to the local Alzheimers Association. There are support groups, and they hook you up to respite care, which it sounds like you desperately need. Your state Council on Aging is another good resource. Your husband is probably depressed, and even if he has dementia, an anti-depressant would do wonders. There might be adult day care in your area as well. Can you talk to his doctor about getting him out and getting him and you some help? Socialization for people with dementia has proven to help with mental stimulation. But I would check out the depression first.
August 19, 2013 at 7:09PM   
Kivi
Good thing you are redoing the shower wall..if you had left the old tub and started using a shower and getting the drywall wet...you definitely would have ended up with a bigger problem.
August 19, 2013 at 7:17PM      Thanked by Nancy Walton
Nancy Walton
People have a simplistic idea of what grief is and how "you should be over it by now." Well, I got news for those people who have never experienced the kind of grief you have--you NEVER get over it, it just becomes easier to bear. You need someone to talk to--Hospice has wonderful grief support groups, and they're free. But, you need to get a respite worker first, so you can go to the meetings. I am on Facebook, so if you Google my name there we can connect outside of this public forum.
August 19, 2013 at 7:21PM     
Linda Doyle
I'm on FB too! Will ck on that later this afternoon & connect with you! Linda Doyle You said you had 2 donkeys & one horse-so do I. Is that your husband with his back turned? He looks JUST LIKE MINE! (Mine is MEAN as they come! LOL

You said you had 2 donkeys & one horse-so do I. Is that your husband with his back turned? He looks JUST LIKE MINE! (Mine is MEAN as they come! LOL
August 20, 2013 at 5:27AM   
Nancy Walton
Bathroom is finally done! The contractors were working on it while I was in the hospital for surgery following a mishap involving my donkeys. I've just returned from a two-week road trip to the east coast, so I will post photos after I've cleaned up the mess from unpacking.
October 26, 2013 at 4:05PM   
Looking forward to seeing the bath!
October 26, 2013 at 4:44PM   
Barbara Roe
Nancy I am sorry I was meaning to post that to another but I love what your doing with your bathroom.
October 27, 2013 at 4:40PM   
I want to update my bathroom as guests also use this room.
It has wallpaper that is very much outdated. It has...
I want to upgrade my guest bathroom
My husband and I are on a fixed income but would like...
I want to update my guest and master bathrooms
We purchased a new home in November 2012 and we love...
I want to update my guest bathroom
The main bathroom in our house is from the last century,...
I want to take a shower in my bathroom. I haven't done that in 2 years
The overflow pan overflowed in my bath room & ruined...
Front Yard Grass
What is the best/most durable grass to have in front...
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
Our living room is driving me crazy. Please help!
This room was one of the reasons we loved this house...
Cambria Quartz
Has anyone experienced any problems with the Cambria...
Over the toilet cabinet??? Good or bad design???
Over the toilet cabinet good or bad design? Is it out...