Ceiling -- to texture or not to texture?
nogoo
We just scraped the popcorn off the family room ceiling. My husband thinks we need to put some kind of texture -- knock-down? -- back on; I thought the trend was no texture whatsoever. Input please?
Linda Smith
We're getting ready to scrape the popcorn ceilings off in our new house. I'd like to leave them smooth, but if we find it looks bad the plan is to thin down joint compound with water to pancake batter consistency and apply a skim coat with a paint roller, hoping that will hide any imperfections.
0 Likes   Thanked by nogoo    July 6, 2013 at 12:43PM
beverett1
Right now in my area, builders are not putting a texture on the ceilings. I have removed my textured ceilings as money permits simply because it is hard to keep looking clean, especially in the bathrooms.
April Conaway
When you scraped off the popcorn, was the ceiling completely smooth? If it is, I would probably leave it without texture... but simply for the reason that it would be one less step, LOL.
0 Likes   Thanked by nogoo    July 6, 2013 at 12:51PM
Fred S
It just depends on what you want to spend money on. To get the ceiling smooth enough to look good will require extra time and a Flat or Eggshell paint to hide the wavy ceiling and imperfections. A light knock-down also requires some extra elbow grease after they get done. A quick pole sanding makes all the difference when it comes to cleaning. Otherwise it is a tiny bit rough, just enough to snag loose towel fibers. You can usually use a semi-gloss on a textured ceiling.
0 Likes   Thanked by nogoo    July 6, 2013 at 12:54PM
Need help deciding on style of new garage doors
I need to replace by garage doors, cannot figure out...
FOYER Chandelier or Lantern - Ideas?
Our foyer is open up to the 2nd floor and round like...
My wood floor disaster!
I had a contractor (that I have since fired) that installed...
Farmhouse Dining Room
I am for some painting advice for a dining room (the...
Help with my dining room!!
Hello, I just moved and need help with the design of...