What to do with 1980s closets?
jbrmit
This is my first time posting. I have a guest room with cut-outs above the closet. Also, the closet doors are sliding mirrors. Hellooo 1980!

What should I do with the funky cut outs above the closets? And what about the closet doors? Any other suggestions for making this an inviting guest room would be welcome!

crp1234
I think the doors are fine. I would just cover the shelf with drywall - that will modernize the space. People still buy these doors.
July 6, 2013 at 5:56pm   
Keitha
I would close in the awkward niche and replace the mirrored doors with wood doors. This would be a fairly easy and inexpensive update.
July 6, 2013 at 6:12pm   
chemayne
Mirrored wardrobe doors that look in good nick as do yours should be left alone. It's what it reflects that's more important.

Crisp white bedding with a complementing accent colour in throws and accessories finishes the look of your light blue guestroom. Some visual examples:
Bountiful
Du classique au contemporain
Private Waterfront Residence on Aberdeen Creek
Laguna Cottage

Lighting
I think taller table lamps would look better. Some examples that won't break the bank.
Crystal Table Lamp
JONSBO BÄRBY Table lamp

Punch it up a notch with these
Back Bay Orange & Blue Hook Pillow
orange coral fan coastal pillow on blue

Artwork
White Love Birds, Blue/Orange by The Yumi Yumi Shop
Flower Art
July 6, 2013 at 6:21pm      Thanked by jbrmit
pattiegoode
I don't mind the mirrored doors. I have seen them paint the gold frames on TV, but that seems like it would harder than they make it sound. If you could tackle that, I would paint your frames black. If you follow feng shui, mirrors are not supposed to reflect the body in the bed, so a change might be in order. I found these treatments for you to see: http://www.hgtv.com/home-improvement/update-old-closet-doors-to-look-like-shoji-screens/index.html http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/mirrored-closet-doors-the-25-m-143244 http://www.curbly.com/users/diy-maven/posts/14696-roundup-10-easy-and-diyable-closet-door-makeovers
Mirrored doors are still in fashion, too: http://theletteredcottage.net/master-bedroom-re-do-update-mirrored-closet-doors/

I love your bed. Consider topping the bedside pieces with fabric covers (kind of like a slipcover) for a more substantial look. And I just never think a room without artwork on the wall. That's just me! ;)
July 6, 2013 at 7:31pm        Thanked by jbrmit
pattiegoode
If closing up the angled cut-out isn't an option, I would place a small, old suitcase there or neatly folded bedding (quilts if they suits your style). You could also attach drapery hardware at the ceiling and cover the opening with drapes that could then be closed over the mirrors at night. That's not something I would like, but it is another option.
July 6, 2013 at 7:44pm        Thanked by jbrmit
houssaon
Covering the opening with drywall should not be a big project. To me it is a dust collector. I like the mirrored doors and they would be convenient for guests. See: Portfolio 2, Staging, von hagel and Queensway master, Interior Design Vancouver.
July 6, 2013 at 7:58pm        Thanked by jbrmit
jbrmit
Thank you everyone for the fabulous ideas!

The nook does collect an awful amount of dust. My brother-in-law knows how to drywall, so I'll see if he can help us fill it in. Until then, I love the idea of displaying vintage suitcases or something similar.

I guess the mirrored doors aren't as bad as I thought! lol :)

@chemaybe -- Wow, I adore that first photo! The bed and wall color are almost exact matches to what I already have. I love the crisp white bedding with the dark blue to add some sophistication. We're going for a colonial look, so it's perfect.

Good point about the taller lamps. How about these? http://www.pier1.com/Sea-Glass-Lamp/2509694,default,pd.html

@pattiegoode -- Yep, we need to add artwork. Totally agree! I just haven't gotten there yet. Also, thanks for the link to the mirrored closet doors. They almost look like French doors into the closet. Beautiful!
July 6, 2013 at 8:54pm     
Mar Ler
Not wild about the mirrored closet doors. I'd change them out with white louvers which would be more in keeping with the room's style. The niche isn't bad. Even if it has to be dusted paint inside of it a blue from your quilt and add some white ironstone pottery pieces....
July 6, 2013 at 9:28pm   
nwduck
An inexpensive filler in the niche that might add some interest could also be those multi-sized papered boxes they sell in most craft stores and Home Goods. Tuck a white ceramic piece (figure, vase) in the arrangement. They might collect dust, but it won't show. Don't mind the mirrored doors either. Your guests have a place to check "the look" before coming out to see you!
July 6, 2013 at 9:52pm      Thanked by jbrmit
crp1234
I really like
PattiGoode's article on the frosted glass DIY project. Personally, I prefer the mirror doors over all other doors. I'm remodeling an entire house and had 4 large swing doors I replaced with 2 sets of mirror doors! It wasn't the prettiest solution, but for now it will work. Down the road I'll probably take one of the closets out and do a built in desk. It's just a basement bedroom though. Here are some pics...
July 6, 2013 at 10:16pm   
crp1234
Ahhh bed wasn't made in the last pic :). Anywho - those were some
Before and afters, still just half way done though. So many projects!!!
July 6, 2013 at 10:18pm   
Living room design
Hello! Just wondering if design wise you think I should...
Am I heading in the right direction?
My goal is cottage style with craftsman influences....
Need Stylish Storage
Our family of 5 needs more storage in our very small...
Need help decorate niche which is beside fireplace?.
We have a entertainment niche beside fireplace that...
Landscaping Old Above Ground Pool Area
Hi Houzzers! Our backyard in Canberra Australia needs...