Need help with paint color selection
colorcool
Hello,
I'm new to this site. Seems like exactly what a new home owner looking to paint his whole interior house is looking for.

My problem is that I am having a very difficult time picking the exact paint color that I want. I have bought about 40 different paint samples from Home Depot so far and I still can't decide. Every time I paint the color that I like on the white wall, the color appears different from the colored paper sample at Home Depot.

It's three weeks now and I'm getting frustrated. I can't move in the house cuz I haven't changed the carpet yet. And, I can't change the carpet until I finish painting. And, I can't finish painting because I can't find the right paint color. See my frustration? Arghhh...

The house is completely vacant with lots of windows, two story and no furnitures. I try to paint a neutral color like the Classic Taupe but it comes out looking too brown. I was told that the tan beige carpet is reflecting its color into the paint which makes a lot of sense. This is so difficult. I've even tried calling a color expert to help out but she isn't available till next week and I want to get my place painted by this weekend or the next few days.

Anyone out there have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin
rosiegabby
I can't really help but just want to add that the color will change with the type of lighting as well - natural light in the day versus more yellow lighting in later afternoon, artificial light in the evening.

Color is a product of reflected light so the type of light and the colors around it will affect what you see.
July 6, 2013 at 11:20pm     
colorcool
Yes you're right. I forgot to mention about lighting. Thanks.
July 6, 2013 at 11:45pm   
Corinne Gail Interior Design
Choosing the perfect paint color can be difficult because of color bounce from other items in the space and the types of light sources. Although impossible for anyone to help you over a computer monitor to actually choose a color, you can have the paint counter mix one of your favorite colors at a reduced intensity per se...the color hues will remain the same but you can control the value (how dark) it is by cutting it 50%, 75%, 100%, 125%, etc. Your paint professional will be able to help you choose which percentage will be the right fit.
July 7, 2013 at 7:30am     
kathleen MK
you are wise to paint before ripping out old carpet, but you may need to touch up baseboard later. The only way to really know how a paint will look in the lighting and reflected colors of your house is to paint big samples on cardboard and test them around the room in different lights. Compare it with your new flooring sample and furniture too. My experience has been always go lighter than your first choice because shadows will deepen the color. Find a good trim "white" to go throughout the house. If you are Ina big hurry to cover dirty or funky colored walls you can be safe with one of those builder's beiges. Sometimes living in the room for a while will inspire colors you might not have considered before.
July 7, 2013 at 8:00am     
colorcool
Corinne, thanks for the suggestion. I will have them vary the intensity next time.
July 7, 2013 at 8:09am   
colorcool
Kathleen, I've been painting samples on the wall and I'm running out of space now. Painting samples on a board and walk around the house is a much more simple yet effective idea. Thank you!
July 7, 2013 at 8:11am     
Need help selecting exterior paint color for our house
We need help selecting a color for the exterior of...
I need help selecting paint colors!!
I have a 1955 ranch house that has the feeling of a...
Need help selecting kitchen paint color
Cabinet tops are wedge wood blue. What color scheme...
Need help selecting paint colors for Great Room
Hi, I installed a beautiful mid-night blue w/w carpet...
Trying to track down paint color!
Hi! My daughter would like to paint her room the color...
Has anyone used lg hausy minuet quartz?
We are redoing our master bath. i love the look of...
Floors
Had a flood in my Fl. Condo and now need to get new...
Awkward Kitchen corner Backsplash query
Sorry for the last attempt. We have chosen Cambria...
Need help with art wall
Moved into our new home about 2 yrs ago; still haven't...