Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avasky

Need help with bookcases and fireplace

Jenn Z
10 years ago
We are moving in next week - this is old furniture that needs to be removed. How can I remodel the bookcase to make it look nicer? Should I paint the mantle black or white? The walls will be a light gray/blue and my couch is dark brown leather.

What do I do with the ugly tile on floor below fireplace?

The shelves are a bit too wide for me; I wish they were divided into two shelves on each Rowe.

Comments (16)

• motownmom
    10 years ago
    Those book cases are really nice. Many people long for them and have to build them.

I think the question on the bookcases is this: are the shelves removeable and are there individual shelf pins on each side that can be re-arranged to provide different levels/heights of shelves? I think in their curent state (the picture) they are way too crammed with "stuff", so deciding how they'll look, and whether you can change the heights is important to know. If you can change the heights, I think I'd remove at least one shelf and make each of the shelf areas higher. That would immmediately make them not look so wide, but proportioned.

You could paint the mantle surround black or white. I personally prefer a more cohesive look and would go with white. You'd need to paint the bookcases the same white rather than trying to match it.

Depending your skills or whether someone you know has any, you could replace the tiles on the floor with white ones, or simply paint them. I'd also give the brick surround on the fireplace a good cleaning and then paint those white. It will go with the mantle surround whether black or white. Use a paint that can withstand heat.

Enjoy your new home! This is a lovely room.
    Jenn Z thanked motownmom
  • Jenn Z
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you! I'll have to see if the shelves can be removed. I need to take all of the books down that were left behind. I think the room has great possibilities, I just need to envision it and make it happen.
  • PRO
    Frederick Sterling Interiors
    10 years ago
    I like motownmom's advice. Maybe you can spice up shelves with paint, wallpaper, or fabric on the back wall only.
    Jenn Z thanked Frederick Sterling Interiors
  • ahostler
    10 years ago
    I think after the clean up you will be on you're way. You can even paint the inside of the bookcases
    Jenn Z thanked ahostler
  • Jenn Z
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Great! Thanks, everyone. I like the 1/3 rule.
  • User
    10 years ago
    With this traditional style I would add doors to the lower left cabinet to provide balance. I would remove the arched wood pieces. Paint the fireplace white and the background of the bookshelf unit a bold color to compliment your light blue-gray walls, say....Navy? Follow Annettes post of the 1/3 rule and add either a mirror or artwork above mantel.
    Jenn Z thanked User
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    For balance, I would put doors on the left side and change out the handles on both sets of doors to be more up to date.
    Jenn Z thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Chem K
    10 years ago
    Living Room Becomes A Work Space · More Info

Happen to agree with all the suggestions for the bookshelves and FP tray. I have attached for visual purposes a gray wallpapered FP wall and matching paint job.(NOT crazy abt the antlers though):-p
    Jenn Z thanked Chem K
  • tamarismc
    10 years ago
    Is that a flat screen TV in an entertainment center across from the couch? Why not mount the TV over the fireplace, turn the couch to face the TV and use the book cases to replace your entertainment center. This is a fabulous room! Paint the book cases you could even paint the brick in front of the fireplace. The room seems long and this would "cozy" up the room and maybe give you another space in the room for a work space, etc. How great would your Christmas tree look in front of those beautiful windows!
    Jenn Z thanked tamarismc
  • Jenn Z
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks! That is furniture that was left behind. I am thinking of putting the flat screen above the FP. The room is very long and narrow, and I will have a lot of extra room to work with. Everyone keeps telling me how lucky I am to have the built in bookshelves. I hope I can get it all to look fabulous!
  • ahostler
    10 years ago
    Anyway to post another picture of the area.
  • Jenn Z
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sure. Remember - this is not my furniture. I have an L shaped brown leather couch, brown leather ottoman, and an espresso brown buffet/cabinet.
  • lkg1984
    10 years ago
    You have a darling home.
    "Renovation Raiders" remodeled a wall very similar to yours. It's certainly not for everyone, and I'm not endorsing ripping the charm out of your house. (Also not endorsing storing firewood in the house!) Just thought you might find it interesting.
  • User
    10 years ago
    lkg1984- thanks for sharing- I find it facinating and fabulous!
  • Jenn Z
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Wow! I like the mantle, but that may be a bit too much for my craft skills. It does help with some ideas. Thanks!