Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurie0714

Keep or Remove Master Bedroom Built-in Desk?

laurie0714
10 years ago
Our Master Bedroom has a bay area with a built-in desk. I am ready to replace the carpet in this room and need to decide whether or not the built-in desk should be removed.

Comments (11)

• laurie0714
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The dark woodwork in the rest of the house has been painted white and that is the plan for this room. Doors will be replaced with 6-panel ones painted white too. The blue color will not stay either; probably re-paint a medium to dark gray which will go nicely with the white trim. We got away from the waterbed years ago but my husband is reluctant to give up the headboard and the under-bed storage. So, baby steps to renovate the room. :-)
  • lonecouleeranch
    10 years ago
    I would also remove the desk. I would paint your headboard then if your hubby is reluctant to give it up. There seems to be a lot going on In there and seems "busy" If you could declutter when you "renovate" I think that would help as well.
  • User
    10 years ago
    All great advice above and let's not forget to update the fan or replace with new lighting. Go mininal when put things back on the wall. I might consider plantation shutters with the new look ;)
    laurie0714 thanked User
  • User
    10 years ago
    PS- put the closet door full length mirror on the inside of the door.
    laurie0714 thanked User
  • laurie0714
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Good advice from each of you! I am all for removing the desk and making it into a sitting area. The mirror above the counter will have to go for sure. I have a large framed picture that would fill that space. This is the chair and one of the tables that might go into that area.
  • User
    10 years ago
    laurie- that chair does not look bedroom friendly ;( looks heavy. 2 pretty club chairs and an accent table between ;)
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Between that chair and the bed frame, the room will be looking more like a man cave than a relaxing retreat for two.
  • laurie0714
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Actually that chair is extremely comfortable and is not as big and bulky as you might imagine. But I appreciate the input. Maybe one of you could post pictures of chairs that would be more appropriate?
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    The style of chair would depend on what else is going on in the room and the other furniture. You can search the box above under Photos for bedroom chair and see lots of them. If you keep the chunky headboard, then a chunkier chair or pair of chairs would work. If you slim things down, then a more slender chair is best.
    laurie0714 thanked decoenthusiaste
  • carolannr
    9 years ago
    Take out the desk. Replace it with a built-in bench with storage and pillows. Seems like you could use the storage without those under bed drawers. All those separate pcs add to the congestion in the room so streamline by only displaying a few special things at a time. It will make it a much more soothing atmosphere with less by moving the displays to a more active part of your home.