Storm Door or NO Storm Door? SO undecided... help!
tennischik
I stripped and scraped and re-stained my front door and I am pleased with the result. I also removed the railing and extended the step. But my last decision is about a storm door. Climate: Chicago. I love the option of a storm door being open during the day. I love the protection it gives. But I hate that it takes away from the door. But I love the warm glow of a house in the evening visible through a glass storm door. Opinions? I used to have a storm door years ago and it was brown because the doors were brown. If I got one now, would I get white to match the trim or cranberry to match the door? Thank you for your feedback! :-)
Lockman Renovations LLC
I wouldn't put a storm door on.. You did a great job on that door. Why take away from its beauty with a storm door?
July 7, 2013 at 10:24am        Thanked by tennischik
aimieduffy
I can't live without a storm door. We are getting a new entryway and a storm door is a must! For the reasons you mentioned.
July 7, 2013 at 10:41am        Thanked by tennischik
Jayme H.
Can u look into a total glass storm door? That sounds weird, but I have seen some with less visible frames on them.
July 7, 2013 at 10:43am        Thanked by tennischik
Scott Design, Inc.
I would find a storm door in black with the least amount of frame around the glass. The black would act as a shadow line on your darker colored door. Colors will tend to distract from the door and the sidelights.
July 7, 2013 at 10:44am        Thanked by tennischik
tennischik
Hi! I looked into your idea Scott Design, Inc. but I am not sure I like this look. I think the black storm door is much more visible on a mahogany door this way rather than blending. My house trim is white and the house is green and white. I would hate to add another color. But now that the door is done - I really want to pain it black! Resisting the urge! :-)
July 7, 2013 at 11:07am     
Genevieve
I say yes to the storm doors I know that a lot of people love to show off their expensive doors but lets be realistic We had a full glass one just like the one posted above in our previous home ,it had a removable glass and screen for Summer.
I have noticed that a lot of people are removing them and when they need to open the door to let some air in the front door is wide open , frankly I wouldn't feel very safe with a wide open door ,not only to insects or rodents but for intruders of the two legs species it takes away a bit of security if you will . On top of that depending where you live Winters are cold and when opening the front door we have a shield from the cold wind,rain and snow .
July 7, 2013 at 11:18am        Thanked by tennischik
aimieduffy
There might be one in brown trim that matches your door almost exactly. I've seen them in brown and since most of it would be glass it could be the answer. I forgot to add that a storm door is so important when you have pets. And it is an extra level of security. Good luck!!! Your door is beautiful btw.
July 7, 2013 at 11:29am        Thanked by tennischik
Fred S
Is there a problem with the window with the screen right next to the door? Why would you open the door and just leave the storm door shut in the winter? That wastes a lot of energy. Do the curtains on the window next to the door not work either? Did you sew them shut in the middle?
July 7, 2013 at 11:32am      Thanked by tennischik
Scott Design, Inc.
I believe your front door stain is a darker color with deep variations that would look better with black or brown than your example. In any event, would you consider a wood storm door in the same wood and same stain? It's frame would be the same size as your door and not block the panels. http://www.touchstonewoodworks.com/traditionalpg1.htm
July 7, 2013 at 12:07pm   
tennischik
Hi Fred S - That is a 5 window bay and the windows do not open. I wouldn't open the door in winter - I live in Chicago. :-) Way too cold. The curtains open - they just weren't open when I took this picture. But the entryway is separate from the living room. I would like more light and openness by opening the entry door letting the light from the storm door in. Thanks.
July 7, 2013 at 12:13pm   
tennischik
Scott Design - those are a great idea but a little out of my budget. Maybe if I start saving now it will be an option for next Spring. Thank you!! :-)
July 7, 2013 at 12:16pm   
Help!! Still undecided - exterior colours, garage door style, windows
We are hoping to put Hardie Board on the front, above...
HELP - I need help deciding on storm door color.
We plan to replace this old screen door with a full-view...
Front storm door help!
We are getting new siding (dark tan) and windows. ...
Should we buy this?
My bf and I have been looking for months for a new...
Lighting advice
Hi!! I just bought a small apartment with living and...
Idea for strange room
We are looking at purchasing a newly remodeled house;...
Need help with master bath design/layout
Master bath is 18' 8" x 10' 4" if I take one of the...
Curtains
When are short curtains ok? I was thinking of small...