Can gray go with antique white in our bathroom?
Elisha Enoksen
We would prefer to redo our outdated bathroom as white and gray. Our tile, sinks, countertops,and tub are antique white, however. We can paint the cabinets but what should we do with the things we can't change? Is it best to leave it antique white and find a gray that works with that?
paradisecastle
I think antique white and gray is very pretty together! Very soft looking alone, or you can use some bright accent colors that will really pop with that as a backdrop. Adding black will "ground" the room and add richness. If it bothers you, try to find some pictures or towels or rugs or knick-knacks that have both gray and antique white in them. It will pull it together.
July 7, 2013 at 12:49PM        Thanked by Elisha Enoksen
Elisha Enoksen
Thank you so much! I suppose we can always paint and then work with the other accessories. Would you recommend a darker or lighter gray?
July 7, 2013 at 4:41PM   
tennisanyone
Are those white cabinets or pickled? I don't see gray in this bathroom with those tiles. I see painting the cabinets dark, leaving the tiles and everything else and then accessorizing with white towels for a spa look. Maybe a green paint. Do you have windows in this room?
July 7, 2013 at 4:55PM      Thanked by Elisha Enoksen
scaplan
I don't think I understand your question. "What should we do with the things we can't change," says to me that you are not willing to change the things that you are calling antique white- the tile, counter, sink and tub. Then you are asking if you should leave them and find a gray that matches them. If you are leaving them and you want to add gray, then that is your only option. Am I missing something?
July 7, 2013 at 5:09PM   
paradisecastle
A lighter gray will give it a softer, almost monochromatic look. A darker gray will add more contrast and vibrancy. Either way would be pretty, it just depends on what kind of feeling you want from the room. Relaxing, "zen", cloud-like, or livelier, fun, and energizing? If you find yourself getting bored with the softer look, you can always throw in any bright color from the rainbow (in the towels, or rugs, or flowers) and you have a completely different feel to the room. Just imagine a hot pink, red or turquoise in there!
July 7, 2013 at 5:13PM      Thanked by Elisha Enoksen
Elisha Enoksen
Sorry for the confusion. We were actually considering perhaps painting the things white that we "can"change and leaving the things antique white that we can't change. (white base boards, white cabinets, gray walls but antique white bath, sinks, counterops) We aren't planning on staying at this house for many more years, so we don't want to invest too much at this point but still want it to look nice. I'm concerned the antique white/white combo would look odd. I will post more pictures tomorrow once I straighten up a bit. :)
July 7, 2013 at 5:18PM   
Elisha Enoksen
There are no windows, but it's a relatively large bathroom with glass cubes around the shower. I will post some more tomorrow. So sorry, we have a toddler and it's a mess right now!
July 7, 2013 at 5:19PM   
Patricia Kent
With all those wonderful white cabs, I would strip the old wallpaper and paint and midtone rich greige color. Change the old light fixture and mirror and maybe just add longer pulls on just the doors, keeping knobs on all the drawers. You will show a big difference for not much cost. Nice tile and glass block!
July 7, 2013 at 5:44PM      Thanked by Elisha Enoksen
scaplan
I think I understand now. I believe you are saying that your cabinets and trim are not actually white at the moment, despite how they appear in the photos. They are actually antique white and you want to paint the walls gray and are asking if you can paint the cabinets a pure white or if you should leave them the color that they are, given that the rest of your fixtures are in the beige family of colors. Is this correct? Is is hard to tell the color of everything because the photos are kind of dark, but from what I can see I think you should leave the cabinets alone and pick a gray that goes with what you have, which would be a warm greige instead of the cool gray that you actually want.
July 7, 2013 at 7:48PM        Thanked by Elisha Enoksen
paradisecastle
Scapian's last post was on the same track that I was. I was thinking keep the cabinets the way they are (from the photo they seem to be in good shape), and paint the walls. This will save you a lot of time and money as well.
July 8, 2013 at 7:53AM      Thanked by Elisha Enoksen
kathy
Yes I would look at just removing the wall paper and then paint walls. Paint trim if required - maybe same colour as wall, but in appropriate finish (usually semi gloss for trim but flatter for walls), if you want fewer colours - or a tone of white if you need another "linking" colour between fixtures and walls.

If budget allows, I would look at replacing light fixture and get a framed mirror - maybe your current one can be framed.
On my screen your counters look a little pink! Because you have not mentioned it, I presume I'm seeing things. If it's a nice counter, leave it! But do you like your scalloped sink? Would you consider changing the sink ( + faucet)and counter? The list is starting to grow, so for someone I think only wants to paint, forget it. Once you start changing sinks, then you'll look at the tub and then it's a gut job!

Look at these two rooms, both incorporating various shades of beige white and grey. I think it can be done!

[houzz=casual luxury]

[houzz=Betsy Burnham]
July 8, 2013 at 9:59AM        Thanked by Elisha Enoksen
I agree that antique white and gray are beautiful together, so no need to change your cabinets. But I'm worried that the tile has too much pinky beige in it to go particularly well with gray walls. Is this just my computer screen? It's not a bad combination, just not as nice a one as antique white and gray alone.
July 8, 2013 at 10:05AM      Thanked by Elisha Enoksen
Elisha Enoksen
I can see how I'd want to do a major gut job! Actually, it must be my pictures. There actually are no pink undertones, darn lighting! I think I can definitely replace the light fixture, and framing the mirror is a great idea! I had never even heard of "greige", and I think that could work! Here are a few other pictures. Looking at them, I realize de-cluttering will greatly improve things, too!
July 8, 2013 at 5:05PM   
tennisanyone
The only thing I would do is take down the wallpaper and repaint. That would be a huge improvement. Leave the cabinets alone and when you want to sell in a few years like you said, declutter, but in the meantime, I see you enjoy your bathroom and looks like the kids enjoy it too.
July 8, 2013 at 5:23PM     
Elisha Enoksen
Yes, isn't that the most hideous wall paper? I can't wait to see the changes with the paint and decorations. Thank you all so much for your input. I will be sure to post "after" pictures!
July 8, 2013 at 5:29PM     
tennisanyone
Elisha, that was probably the style back then, time for a change. Good luck and post when you are done or halfway done.
July 8, 2013 at 5:40PM     
Elisha Enoksen
Will do. Thanks!
July 8, 2013 at 5:59PM   
Mona Baxter
I wonder if the pink tones we are seeing is from the wall paper?
July 8, 2013 at 6:14PM     
dortheaseybold
Do not paint those cabinets a dark color. Light grey on walls will work nicely. Pop some green in the details.
July 8, 2013 at 6:19PM   
Cora Torres_Patek
You might also change your light bulbs to either LED or daylight. It might be what is causing that pink feeling. Anyway, I have found that day lights make greys look so much better.
July 8, 2013 at 6:23PM     
Elisha Enoksen
Excellent thoughts on the lighting. I've been doing some research and realize that I will need to ensure the new fixtures aren't "white/white" but a bit on the creamier side. Would you all agree?
July 8, 2013 at 7:51PM   
lntrcrts
Yes. Sherwin Williams paint store has a gray called gray clouds that would look good in this room. Make sure you don't pick one too dark.
July 10, 2013 at 5:15PM   
Lumar Interiors
I'd say you need a medium depth warm grey. Try Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter. that should work well with antique white. good luck!
July 10, 2013 at 5:34PM   
kphil
Yes for gray... Add plum as an accent color
July 10, 2013 at 5:41PM   
Amy Wax
I have a great solution for you., I created an app called Color911 which is instant help with color. I think if you had a color plan you can see easily what colors you can use in your bathroom. There are many pre-made color themes in the app to use as inspiration. I selected one for you that I thought might help. Whether you use this color theme or find another, it's great because you can choose colors for anything from a paint color to a color for your towels to rugs, anything! There are many more features in the Color911 app but I thought this
Color theme would inspire you!
July 10, 2013 at 5:55PM   
Plaster or Drywall
A fire damaged the second floor of my 1903 home. All...
What would you use for a backsplash in this kitchen?
Not sure what type or color backsplash to use in this...
Drawer help!
I just built this stuva bench from ikea - I tested...
lighting for huge two story greatroom?
We are about to build a home with a huge two story...