Help me make a decision please!
lilchik
I can't make-up my mind on new bedroom furniture. :( I really like this upholstered bed and am considering buying it but before I do that I would like to know what type of nightstands would go with it. What do you think? Which one of these nightstands is a better match for this bed? I want my bedroom to be more of a contemporary style. Although I'm not afraid to mix styles if necessary. Also, with gray bed, such as this one, should I go for a grayish wall color or taupe? Thanks for your input and ideas.
carolins
Don't ditch Ikea. They do have great furniture for good prices. Honestly.

The 19in, 3ft wide one looks better to me than the media console. But it depends on the height of your bed. I'm guessing that dresser will be too low.

How about this? Not wide enough? http://www.westelm.com/products/niche-3-drawer-dresser-chocolate-g927/?pkey=cdressers-nightstands&cm_src=dressers-nightstands||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    August 6, 2013 at 9:52AM
lilchik
Thank YOU! Lots of great pieces....not as great prices... :-( My goal is to spend no more than $800 on both chests. Unfortunately, most of these are waaaay too expensive, however I do like some of them very much. Who doesn't, right? lol
0 Likes   August 6, 2013 at 11:30AM
lilchik
Ohhh Carolin, thank you! Yeah, some of these are too wide, I believe I'll have about 4 ft of free space on either side of bed, but I definitely don't want to jam-pack everything in there... so probably 3 ft wide for the chests are max.
0 Likes   August 6, 2013 at 4:39PM
Love the wayfare night stand the 1 st one good size to.
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 6, 2013 at 4:46PM
Overstock one in yr budget nice can wall take a 44"?
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 6, 2013 at 4:51PM
Barbara Schaver @ Furnitureland South
I like the contrast of the espresso nightstands. Upholstered headboards make such a nice design statement... and I really like the bench shown in the attached photo (as well as the bedding) Do you have room for a bench? there are many fabric options...let me know if you want to add one more layer to your room. Good luck!
3 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 6, 2013 at 5:27PM
lilchik
travisinteriors, I don't think that wall can take two 44" chests... anything over 3 ft wide will most likely block the side window and that's probably not a good idea.
0 Likes   August 7, 2013 at 2:37PM
carolins
Perhaps it's a good idea to wait until the bed is there and see what will work?
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 8, 2013 at 12:59AM
house2514
My step daughter just got this exact same bed- she used mirror chest like nightstands and painted walls a medium gray. White bedding with pops of gray-yellow and aqua accessories and it is awesome- don't have a picture to post- sorry I don't know where you live but Garden Ridge has awesome mirror furniture and great prices! Nightstand were like $179
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 8, 2013 at 3:04AM
lilchik
I will wait for the bed I guess, it should be here next week, they keep postponing the delivery date on me.....:-(
house2514, it would be reaaaally nice to see how this bed looks in someone's home... Too bad we don't have Garden Ridge stores here in Northern California, it looks like an awesome home decorating store, I just checked them out online. Oh and they don't sell online.
0 Likes   August 8, 2013 at 11:15AM
house2514
No, Garden Ridge is always changing and getting new products, so never online shopping but they have been around for many years. I will try and get you a pic although she is still do finishing touches with rugs etc. good luck!
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 8, 2013 at 11:33AM
lilchik
Hello everyone! I FINALLY got my new bed today!!! yey!!! It's very gorgeous and I love it! However, my paint color and nightstand dilemma continues..... and I'll be trying out some more samples against the bed hopefully this weekend. On the last pic there you can see a poster board with Revere Pewter on it. I don't think this color is going to work..... I need to get some Silver Fox on the wall behind the bed I guess to see how that will be. Oh, and I bought this coverlet and two white shams to try out. What do you think about these? Of course, I'll be adding some more pillows as soon as I make-up my mind on the accent colors. I'm leaning towards teal or peacock.
2 Likes   August 19, 2013 at 6:09PM
lilchik
Should I get a low-profile box spring or bunky board to go under the mattress on this bed? I think the mattress should be sitting just a bit higher, what do you think? (+add mattress stability) Also, if I leave the mattress as is, the top of it sits about 25" off the ground, does that mean my nightstands would have to be a little shorter than the standard 28-30" in height? I was going for a little larger 3-drawer chests on either side of the bed but I don't know if that would look odd? Pleeeeease tell me what your opinions are on this......thanks. :-)
0 Likes   August 20, 2013 at 11:36AM
carolins
Don't know about mattresses and all that, but congratulations on the arrival of the bed.
Is there no ideabook about mattresses? There are ideabooks about just about everything.... Have you done a search?

Revere Pewter is too light. I'm not keen on the silver coverlet in combination with the shams. The structures are too similar.
Do yóu like it? Because that's the most important thing.
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 20, 2013 at 11:43AM
lilchik
Here's one black bedside chest I saw at one of the local furniture stores I roamed over the weekend. Would something like this look good with my bed? I believe it's 30" in height.
6 Likes   August 20, 2013 at 11:46AM
lilchik
Thanks Carolin! I waited 5 weeks for this bed to arrive! phew....
Ok, so that's what's wrong with this coverlet/shams combo.....I kept thinking it doesn't look quite right. I like them separately but when put together something is not quite right...... maybe when I add additional pillows it will help? I agree with you too that Revere Pewter won't work.
1 Like   August 20, 2013 at 11:50AM
lilchik
I haven't looked into ideabooks on mattresses, good suggestion! I'll do that. Thanks.
0 Likes   August 20, 2013 at 11:51AM
carolins
Chest is really nice.

Here's another interesting ideabook for you (follow link under pic)

1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    August 20, 2013 at 12:01PM
carolins
mforr, do you know about mattresses?
0 Likes   August 20, 2013 at 12:08PM
mefor
ja mijn lieve, je slaapt op hen
;D :) :D
Seriously, about mattresses, I don't know enough, I was liking the bedroom in your post, love that room, one that we used for inspiration in Angela's discussion.
1 Like   August 20, 2013 at 1:09PM
carolins
@lilchik, mforr is my sister in design ;-) She's a tad mad, but knows more about things available in the US than I do. Unfortunately not a lot about mattresses though.

@mforr, ik had m'n hoop op jouw onvergelijkbare kennis gevestigd, maar ik had moeten weten dat jij als insomniac natuurlijk niet veel van matrassen weet :-P
2 Likes   August 20, 2013 at 1:19PM
Love the mirror doors night stands above. Good job. Your bed Needs more bed pillows mix up shames with black, and gray. Add 2 small teal pillows. . Use teal as a accent in lamps drum style shades. etc. put a teal throw on foot of bed. A 45" sunburst mirror over bed hang 6" from top of headboard. Ck Z Galleries for nite stands too and for accessories. Your bed looks awesome .
2 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 20, 2013 at 1:22PM
lilchik
Nice to meet you "sister in design"! Welcome! :-)
1 Like   August 20, 2013 at 1:30PM
mefor
Carolins, het is echt omdat ik hang met mijn voet van het dak spanten
0 Likes   August 20, 2013 at 2:28PM
mefor
Hello lilchik, nice to meet you, I must go to the top and read thru this discussion properly. :)
0 Likes   August 20, 2013 at 2:30PM
carolins
Oooo... I just love how google translate mixes up words and makes it look really, really random.
I suspected something like that though. In fact, I'm off to find my spot in the rafters.... Good night y'all. Have fun.
1 Like   August 20, 2013 at 2:32PM
mefor
Lilchik, absolutely get the low profile box spring to lift bed up a bit, love the idea of 28-30" tall nightstands, as wide as you can fit them without infringing on window. Yes, love a darker gray, revere pewter is a bit insipid and overused, sorry all of you RP fans. The bed definitely needs a bit of color on it, greens, teals, deep burnt orange, peacock blue. All of these are beautiful with greys and silvers. What size were the mirrored chests you looked at locally?
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 20, 2013 at 3:47PM
mefor
These are lovely velvet pillows from...ikea!! They are very good colors for your room. Just a bit of color to enliven all the grey. The burnt orange velvet ones are euro sham sized and the turquoise is a long lumbar size. Perhaps you would like them together, there is the same orange in the center of turquoise pillow. With a coverlet in one of the colors or in a deeper grey than current one, folded at end of bed. The layering will help keep your bed from looking too flat.
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 20, 2013 at 3:58PM
mefor
Forgot pics :)
0 Likes   August 20, 2013 at 4:00PM
lilchik
mforr thanks for all the ideas! I love color and wasn't going to keep it just white and gray... :)) I was at out local Ikea recently and didn't think of pillows....bummer! I got their Aina linen curtain panels in white (off-white would be more accurate) for the two windows I've got. I agree that a darker gray coverlet would probably be better or maybe all white? But then if I'm going white on curtains......maybe too much? I don't like multi-colored/flowery quilts/coverlets, I'd rather get something in solid color and use pillows for color.
I don't have the exact dimensions for that chest I saw locally, I'll call the store tomorrow and get that. And in the meantime will look around for low-profile box spring.
1 Like   August 20, 2013 at 6:04PM
lilchik
What do you think of this? It's BM Silver Fox. I don't know, it looks kinda dirty to me....maybe it's the existing color that's in the way. ???
0 Likes   August 22, 2013 at 5:52PM
mefor
The existing color is definitely in the way, I can even see it reflected in the nail heads, lol. Butbitvdoes seem like there's a bit of brown in the paint color. Let me see what I could find in sherwin williams colors. :)
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 22, 2013 at 5:57PM
mefor
Any of these look good?
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 22, 2013 at 6:05PM
mefor
Does it seem like there's some blue in the grey of the headboard?
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    August 22, 2013 at 6:15PM
carolins
I think I'd go even darker to make the bed stand out more.
2 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 23, 2013 at 2:09AM
carolins
Although... I do like this look too:
The Isabella Master Bedroom
Retirement Retreat

Or... here they went for yellow walls (although this is a bit too beige for my liking)
Bedroom

This?
Newport
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 23, 2013 at 2:21AM
mefor
I like carolins idea about going darker, how about this one?
Stormy sky
2 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 23, 2013 at 3:42AM
mefor
I tried to change your wall to SW peppercorn, but the picture has a lot of shine on the wall so the color didn't come up well over the peachy color already on wall. Plus, I think the headboard is picking up the peach tones in the photo as well.
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 23, 2013 at 3:55AM
lilchik
The headboard is picking-up peachy tones from the wall definitely, and as you've mentioned it's even reflected in the nail heads. I was opting for light gray walls when I first started this thread because I was looking at dark-colored headboards but when I saw this one and really liked it, I went for it. I do realize that to make the headboard standout the wall has to be some sort of charcoal gray but I'm very afraid to make the room feel gloomy, although it does get a fair amount of light (big north facing window+small west facing window). However, my adjoining master bath gets very little light and has just one small window in the corner that we rarely open because of privacy issues. :) To keep it all flowing I was planning on using the same color in the bath as well.....i don't know....this is much harder than I anticipated! :-( Maybe I can pull it off if I use a lot of white in bedding, curtains (which I have already), lamp shades? Or maybe an accent wall in dark gray and the rest of the room in a lighter shade? Or room this size wouldn't look good with an accent wall?
Thank you ladies for staying with me on this! I REALLY appreciate it! mforr, the headboard doesn't appear to have any blue tint to me, it's very soft light dove gray.
1 Like   August 23, 2013 at 10:20AM
mefor
Don't panic lilchik :)
I think that having shine, white accents and keeping your windows as "open" as possible will allow you to use a deeper gray. If you find one you like, go to the lighter colors on the same color swatch card and see if the lighter grays will go with bathroom. You don't have to have the same color, you could also introduce a wallpaper, or a stencil in a metallic finish, not gaudy though. I think it will be lovely, just needs a bit of contrast.
Did you settle on a nightstand yet?
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 23, 2013 at 10:27AM
mefor
Can you take another pic of bed and wall from farther away? I'll try to color it for you if you would like me to? :)
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 23, 2013 at 10:30AM
lilchik
Thanks mforr! I'll try to keep calm! :)
I haven't settled on a nightstand yet... but I keep coming back to that black one with mirrored fronts I posted earlier. It's 34" wide, 30" tall and 18" deep. Once I get home tonight I'll measure to see whether or not two of those would fit on either side of the bed without infringing on the window. I don't have a good pic of the bed from far away besides the ones I posted earlier, but I'll take some when I'm home. Please do try different colors, if you can :), cause I'm not as "tech advanced". Thank you, thank you!
1 Like   August 23, 2013 at 10:43AM
carolins
The darker grey that mforr has picked looks lovely. You never know until you try of course... (collective deep sigh ;-))

mforr, how about SW Serious Gray?

Lots of white and yellow will keep it looking fresh and light.
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    August 23, 2013 at 10:44AM
lilchik
Will a black nightstand look good against a dark gray wall??? hmmm.......
1 Like   August 23, 2013 at 10:44AM
Chanel
We have the same bed and after month of debating we ended up with a simple clean look of brown nightstands.
Its always safer to go for something which you won't be bored and just accessorize it with decor
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    August 23, 2013 at 10:49AM
lilchik
Thanks Chanel for sharing your personal experience! Do you mind sharing what color you chose for your walls? or do you have a different color bed?
1 Like   August 23, 2013 at 10:52AM
Chanel
grey color walls
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    August 23, 2013 at 10:53AM
lilchik
Do you remember the name of it at all?
0 Likes   August 23, 2013 at 10:55AM
Chanel
unfortunately no
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 23, 2013 at 10:55AM
lilchik
Speaking of brown nightstands, here are a few more pics from my recent store quest.
2 Likes   August 23, 2013 at 10:59AM
taniawb
I would go with the nightstand in the middle photo and stick to that espresso finish for all wood in the room. For paint check out Sharkey Gray, by Martha Stewart sold at Home Depot. I is a greige. I've attached photos of two bedrooms painted in Sharkey Gray.
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 23, 2013 at 11:01AM
mefor
No problem, lilchik. When you post a pic later, I'll put in a bunch of different light, medium and darker grays. Also, the black mirrored would look great, as would a dark brown stain. You can also change the knobs that come with something if you don't like them. Anthropologie has beautiful knobs, I'll post a few here so you can see what I mean. :) this is just 4, they have dozens. Lots of sizes, shapes and colors. So if you found a more affordable but plainer chest of drawers that was the perfect size, you could update it with new knobs.
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    August 23, 2013 at 11:07AM
mefor
Have you looked into the low profile box springs yet? Just so you know how tall the finished mattress height will be. That way you'll know if you're looking for a 25" or a 30" nightstand height.
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    August 23, 2013 at 11:09AM
carolins
I've tried a couple of greys, and on the SW colour visualizer the ones with a greenish undertone came out best. I'll try more greige colours too for you. I'm pretty sure though that it will still look different in 'real life'

SW Attitude Gray
SW Mindful Gray
SW Forestwood
1 Like   August 23, 2013 at 11:11AM
carolins
Oh... and I really like that chest with the square handle.
1 Like   August 23, 2013 at 11:12AM
lilchik
Wow Carolins, you are a true artist! :-)) You're trying two different shades, can you try all one color?
mforr, great idea about knobs, thanks!
I put my standard 9-inch box spring under the mattress last night and couldn't believe how silly the bed looks with it (i should have taken a pic of it). I called a few stores looking for low-profile box spring and they all said it is a standard 5-inch, wondering if that would be too high....... it looks like I only need to prop the mattress up 2-3 inches.
1 Like   August 23, 2013 at 11:22AM
carolins
No, I'm not trying two different shades. It comes out like this because of the two colours your walls have now. Sorry :-(
1 Like   August 23, 2013 at 11:26AM
lilchik
Ahhhh, I see! :-)
1 Like   August 23, 2013 at 11:27AM
mefor
This may be the answer, ikea
I have one under a bed here, it's great.
0 Likes   August 23, 2013 at 11:30AM
lilchik
Hmmm that looks interesting, thatnks mforr! I'll look into it.
1 Like   August 23, 2013 at 11:39AM
lilchik
Here are a few more pics of my room, I know these are not much better than the previous ones but I won't be able to get the whole room into one pic...there's no fifth corner unfortunately :-)) Look at the two colors (Silver Fox and Revere Pewter) against the headboard in my current peachy-colored room and the same at my home office painted some sort of green. Don't they look different?
2 Likes   August 24, 2013 at 10:54AM
lilchik
Oh, and please ignore my sky-high mattress, I'm using my old 9-inch box spring before I get something else. Isn't it ridiculously funny looking? Imagine pillows and comforter on top of that! :-)
1 Like   August 24, 2013 at 10:57AM
carolins
You'll be the princess from The Princess and The Pea on top of that bed :-) Those colours look ridiculously different in both rooms. Actually, I think the Silver Fox doesn't look that bad with your bed. Does it? In the previous pics I liked it in one photo and not so much in the other. But in this one I kind of like it again. Hmm...
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    August 24, 2013 at 11:02AM
mefor
They do look very different!! I'm at beach, so sun glare is not my friend right now. I'll put some together for you a bit later. Don't think they'll be much different from carolins pics as far as two tones on top and bottom of wall. The app picks it up as shadow. So the upper color will be the truer one. Definitely think you should look into that ikea spring thing, mattress does look craaaaazzzy tall, lol
I'll be back later :)
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 24, 2013 at 11:06AM
mefor
Haha, carolins, those darn colors won't cooperate with us, will they? :)
1 Like   August 24, 2013 at 11:07AM
lilchik
Yeah, I did feel like a princess these last couple nights! LOL You know Carolins, I'm starting to like Silver Fox again too!! I really do think it's affected a whole lot by the surrounding color in my bedroom. My husband is growing impatient with me not being able to decide on color :-) He really likes Silver Fox and thinks I'm crazy for putting so much thought into it. :) Oh and he also demands that we do two tones, going a few shades darker on the bottom and I'm really against that....hopefully we won't get into a fight over it! LOL
mforr, enjoy your day at the beach! Stay cool and use lots of sunblock! :)
1 Like   August 24, 2013 at 11:46AM
carolins
Just chuck the Prince out of the bed if he gives you trouble ;-) Lots of men don't understand the importance of these decisions.
Have you considered wallpaper? Something like grasscloth above the rail could be nice.

Silver Fox 2108-50 by Benjamin Moore
Phillip Jeffries - Glam Grass Wallcoverings
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    August 24, 2013 at 12:08PM
lilchik
ha-ha I might do just that next time he disagrees! :-)
About the wallpaper - I come from the country where it was very popular to wallpaper every single room in the house so whenever I see wallpaper it brings back childhood memories, like I'm back to the 80s. :) Although the wallpaper now and then is distinctly different, design and quality wise. I've seen some absolutely gorgeous wallpaper on this website but I'm not convinced yet, especially considering the fact that my walls are far from being smooth and priming them is not on my husband's "wish" list I'm sure!
1 Like   August 24, 2013 at 12:31PM
carolins
So... wallpaper is out :-) Although something like grasscloth would probably be good to cover up uneven areas on the walls. But hey... some people like wallpaper, others don't so much.
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    August 24, 2013 at 12:42PM
Shenzhen LuffaBenz Bedding Co., Ltd
Hi Dear
Pls reference our Night Stand product, the cover is faux leather, and the construction is E1 board.
Enjoy it!
0 Likes   August 25, 2013 at 8:07PM
carolins
mforr, sweet sis, is that one of the comments that turned up in the wrong discussion? Or have I missed something? :-)
1 Like   August 26, 2013 at 4:17AM
mefor
Haha, it is indeed, sis. I must try to remember not to post from my profile activity page, always jumps to another discussion, very strange. Thank you for helping me locate it, I never know where they go, there's no rhyme or reason. :)
1 Like   August 26, 2013 at 4:22AM
mefor
Did you see this one from west elm? Is it too tall?
0 Likes   August 26, 2013 at 7:22AM
lilchik
thanks mforr for your suggestion on Ikea bed base we went ahead and bought it over the weekend! It provides excellent support and raises the mattress a little over 2", which is absolutely perfect!!! Thank you!!! So the top of the mattress is about 28" off the floor therefore the West Elm chest would be too high. I guess a 30' chest would be ideal, right?
2 Likes   August 26, 2013 at 3:42PM
mefor
Yes, 28-30" would be ideal. Can you measure that out next to bed, along with the width available? Before the window becomes a problem?
0 Likes   August 26, 2013 at 3:51PM
lilchik
I already did :), I can go as wide as 34" on each side without infringing on the window.
1 Like   August 26, 2013 at 4:02PM
mefor
Good job :) have you narrowed it down yet or do you want to look at more options?
0 Likes   August 26, 2013 at 4:06PM
lilchik
I'm pretty much set on the black chests with mirrored fronts I posted above, trying to see if there's going to be any discount offered on Labor Day on these. I'm a bargain shopper! :-)
3 Likes   August 26, 2013 at 4:08PM
mefor
I liked those a lot, they'll look great. Tomorrow morning I'm pulling out my sherwin willams fan deck. Did you ever tell me the manufacturer and model of bed? I want to get a shot of material from their website to get a better paint color option for you. Try to post that for me if you can, I'll give it all my attention tomorrow AM.
:)
0 Likes   August 26, 2013 at 5:10PM
lilchik
You are great mforr, thanks! :-)
I got this bed from overstock.com, it is by JAR Designs, the model is "The Betty", here's a link. http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Jar-Designs-The-Betty-Grey-Queen-Bed/5085904/product.html
The only photo of it I could find anywhere on the web is the one I posted in the very beginning of this thread. I'll be waiting to see what you come up with, THANK YOU!
1 Like   August 26, 2013 at 6:07PM
Nicole
I was thinking mirror nightstands or nightstands in a
in a metallic (gold & silver mixed finish). This would compliment the bed very well. Joss and Main website always has nice individual pieces And you could get a different look for the dresser. I hate matching all of the furniture. I like having different looks that all come together. You can always purchase the same hardware.
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 26, 2013 at 6:16PM
mefor
First one. This color is SW software, it's a very gray gray. No other colors tinting it.the color is more true at the bottom part of wall. So where it's almost the darkest is the closest to the swatch I'm holding in my hand :)
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 27, 2013 at 6:34AM
mefor
I put some bedding on the bed, I actually really like the color I used for coverlet, it's SW raisin. Maybe that kind of deep, deep purple gray would be good for bedding. Looks great with the gray of your bed, and it's a bit more interesting than gray on gray on gray, just a thought. :)
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 27, 2013 at 6:36AM
mefor
This one is called SW sensuous gray, and it does have a slight purple in it, also really good with the bed color. Just like the other one, wherever the wall color is a bit deeper is the truest rendition of color swatch.
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 27, 2013 at 6:42AM
mefor
This is a dark gray with a brownish base, SW folkstone
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 27, 2013 at 6:45AM
mefor
This one is very light, also a gray gray, SW online. Look at the darker parts of wall, that's the truer color
2 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 27, 2013 at 6:47AM
mefor
I'm wondering if you're taking a pic with phone, could you try to focus on the floor a bit so the camera would try to brighten picture, we may get a better pic of the true color of bed.
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 27, 2013 at 6:49AM
mefor
Here's the color swatches
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 27, 2013 at 6:55AM
mefor
This is the raisin color
mefor
I'll try a few more.
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 27, 2013 at 6:56AM
mefor
This is SW cloak gray
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 27, 2013 at 7:07AM
mefor
And the swatch
0 Likes   August 27, 2013 at 7:08AM
mefor
Here is agreeable gray, pretty close to revere pewter. I don't think I like such a greige color with your bed.
0 Likes   August 27, 2013 at 7:21AM
mefor
This is swatch of revere and the SW agreeable
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 27, 2013 at 7:22AM
mefor
If you do one of the darker grays, you could still transition to the revere pewter in the bathroom if that's the color you like in there. The revere pewter, or SW agreeable gray, looks great with all the deeper grays I put up for you.
1 Like   August 27, 2013 at 8:11AM
lilchik
WOW mforr!!!! What a project! Thank you so much, I appreciate it a bunch! :-)
I do like the darker grays, not so much the lighter ones..... Great pics for comparison though! I do realize they'll be quite a bit off in real life.. nevertheless it gives an idea. Thanks again! Would you mind trying SW7016 Mindful gray and SW 7031 Mega Greige?
You are correct, I am taking pics with my iPhone and the bed color doesn't come out very true, unfortunately.
1 Like   August 27, 2013 at 12:06PM
lilchik
Oh and thanks for dressing up my bed! Great idea on bedding color, I'll be on the lookout! I see how gray on gray on gray is becoming a little boring. Although I'll be adding pillows and other accents in teal/turquoise, I love the idea of raisin color coverlet. Thanks.
1 Like   August 27, 2013 at 12:10PM
mefor
I'm glad you liked it, also forgot to tell you how happy I am that the ikea bed base worked out for you. Fantastic result, and it's comfortable. I'm at the pool right now, I'll put up the other colors for you after 5:30, didn't bring iPad with me, I'm on the phone. If there any other SW colors you're interested in, just make a little list for me. Also, try the tip for taking picture of room, first focus on dark floor then when camera adjusts and makes pic brighter take a pic of whole room without refocusing. :)
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    August 27, 2013 at 12:19PM
OnePlan
If you are using interior designer for iPad - print off a coloured plan and use the flooring grid as a guide !
1 Like   August 27, 2013 at 1:39PM
lilchik
mforr, you saved me from extra trips to the furniture stores, returns/exchanges of low-profile box springs as those would not have worked out as I can tell now because they are at least 4" tall and that would've been too much, so your suggestion on the Ikea bed base was priceless!
About Revere Pewter, I'm not emotionally attached to it at all, so I don't have to keep it! Any gray that would transition well from the bedroom to the bath will work for me, not necessarily RP. I think it's too "faceless" anyway.
Here are some grays from SW that I'd love to have you try, if possible. (you asked for it, so here you go!) :-)
7016 Mindful Gray
7031 Mega Greige
7642 Pavestone
7045 Intellectual Gray
7024 Functional Gray
7017 Dorian Gray
7018 Dovetail
7023 Requisite Gray
Thank you!
1 Like   August 27, 2013 at 1:57PM
mefor
No problem :)
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 27, 2013 at 2:21PM
mefor
Lilchik, hope you can tell the difference between these, lol.
Might have been the most boring job I've ever done, the color changed soooooooo minutely when I repainted room
I'm still going to vote for a less greige color. The colors are all shown in the order you listed them in.
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 27, 2013 at 3:23PM
mefor
More
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 27, 2013 at 3:26PM
lilchik
:-)))) I'm sorry for making you do this boring job! Tell you what, none of these colors look like they do on the photos floating around this site! Seriously.......it's very hard to tell the difference between them. Almost all of them look greige. The only one that looks more of less interesting is 7018 Dovetail, next to the last photo.
Thank you for your hard work, and the time you've put into this, I appreciate it very much. Don't waste your time on this no more, I am assured now that the best way to do this is buying an actual sample and trying it out on an actual wall. :-( I hope my husband won't kick me out of the house when I bring more samples......lol
1 Like   August 27, 2013 at 5:45PM
mefor
I hope he won't kick you out either, lol. Don't worry, I wasn't that bored, but I was laughing as I painted each color over the other and it changed so slightly, couldn't believe it. I thought that the grays that had the smallest touch of purple and the other with a bit of brown actually looked pretty good, a strong background that let the headboard "pop". Please let me know if I can do anything else to help. :)
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    August 27, 2013 at 6:00PM
lilchik
I will sure let you know! Thank you so much for being so gracious!
1 Like   August 27, 2013 at 6:13PM
mefor
You're very welcome :)
0 Likes   August 27, 2013 at 6:26PM
mefor
Hi, this came in an email today, like the colors :)
Just thought I'd pass it on.
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    August 28, 2013 at 10:48AM
carolins
Beautiful room mforr
2 Likes   August 28, 2013 at 10:53AM
Celeste Interior Design
Hi, Grey is so overlooked and if it used in a right way - mixing textures with maybe with black and white too, the results can be brilliant!. I have just ordered some faux suede for some furniture I am redesigning for a client. Its going to be used on a coffee table ( mixed in with a painting technique ) and on a hybrid side cupboard - display cupboard. Yellow and orange go well with it.
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 28, 2013 at 11:14AM
lilchik
Very serene room! Thanks for inspirations mforr! :-)
I tried the photo trick you suggested, i don't think I'm getting a whole lot better picture, but anyway here are a few shots with a morning sun peeking through the window. How are you liking the height of the mattress? please ignore my current bedding....
1 Like   August 28, 2013 at 11:19AM
mefor
This is SW grays harbor, it's dark but a very rich color. Looking at inspiration pic, the SW folkstone is very similar color to the photo they used. :)
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 28, 2013 at 11:40AM
carolins
SW foggy day
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    August 28, 2013 at 11:56AM
lilchik
Thanks ladies! Grays harbor is veery dark....I'm afraid of such dark colors. :) I've looked at pics with SW folkstone and it appears to have a heavy brown undertone. Foggy day looks good below the chair rail.
1 Like   August 28, 2013 at 12:01PM
carolins
Foggy day looks also good above the chair rail I thought ;-)
1 Like   August 28, 2013 at 12:02PM
lilchik
It does, but it's too close to the headboard color....well, at least in this pic. The headboard is actually lighter in life. :-)
1 Like   August 28, 2013 at 12:03PM
mefor
Lilchik, you little scaredy cat, lol. Ok, I'll stop pushing the darker grays. I'll try to stay in the mid tones for you :)
2 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 28, 2013 at 12:07PM
lilchik
I am a scaredy cat!! I wholeheartedly confess it! ;-)
1 Like   August 28, 2013 at 1:20PM
mefor
This is much lighter than the gray harbor.
SW serious gray
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 28, 2013 at 2:52PM
mefor
Less scary? :)
0 Likes   August 28, 2013 at 2:53PM
lilchik
Just a bit less.....:-)
1 Like   August 28, 2013 at 4:04PM
mefor
Sw solitude
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 28, 2013 at 4:52PM
lilchik
What do you think of these lamps and mirrors? I like the color and the shape, not so much the shade. The current shade is tan/beige linen and quite bulky. Maybe if I find a smaller white drum shade it would look better.... I just couldn't help myself and got those because it was a great deal! Also, I got a set of these mirrors, maybe I would be able to incorporate them in my room. If not, I have plenty of space around the house where these mirrors will look good, at least I hope so. ;-)
2 Likes   August 29, 2013 at 11:10AM
carolins
Perhaps those mirrors look great above your nightstands! The lamps definitely need white shades.
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    August 29, 2013 at 11:19AM
carolins
And you need to incorporate the blue in your bedding too :-)
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    August 29, 2013 at 11:22AM
lilchik
Ahhh you're right Carolins, maybe they would be good above nightstands! Excellent idea!
When you say incorporate this color in the bedding are you thinking pillows?
2 Likes   August 29, 2013 at 11:41AM
lilchik
I also like this lamp shape, it's from Pier1.
4 Likes   August 29, 2013 at 11:48AM
lilchik
Maybe the above lamp is a better choice after all, it's very sleek and stylish.... the base color on this one is taupe, not as dark as it appears in the above photo, i saw it in the store. mforr you suggested earlier to maybe go for "raisin" color coverlet on the bed, do you think this is a better option?
1 Like   August 29, 2013 at 11:52AM
mefor
This would be lovely with a deep dark raisin color. But the other ones would be lovely with turquoise or a gorgeous burnt orange color. Hmmm, one combo is sleek and luxe, the other is a bit more fun and modern and updated. I guess you need to decide which way you want to go. Two different feelings. I like them both, but if your personality is younger and more fun then go one way. If you're more sophisticated and like a high end boutique hotel look, go with the other.
2 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 29, 2013 at 12:08PM
lilchik
I think I'm divided in that sense! :-))) I like both, depending on the mood! LOL Thanks for your opinion!
1 Like   August 29, 2013 at 1:01PM
mefor
I'm thinking I didn't really help that much, did I? Sorry :)
How does hubby feel about the style you're going for? Or is he just sick of the talk of paint colors? Sometimes the guys don't have the endless patience we have, knowing that the right color is right around the corner, if we can just wait a few more days, weeks (months? Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh) I'm sure we'll have it wrapped up before that much time passes. You might want to pull a few examples of both kinds of rooms, mull them over for a few days. Maybe then both you and you're husband can pick your favorites and see which style is the "winner" :)
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    August 29, 2013 at 1:55PM
lilchik
No, mforr, you did! I always appreciate suggestions/opinions very much and it helps me make-up my mind faster, but.....it's not always that smooth. :-) My hubby is sick of the paint color talk, that's for sure. He said: "just pick something and let me start the paint job!" He's at a point that he doesn't care much anymore and almost anything works as long as I'm happy, according to him, but I want him to like it too! However, he's one of those guys that won't pretend he likes something if he doesn't, he voices his opinion on things when he sees them. He's the "show me and I'll tell ya" kinda guy! I love him anyways! :)
Yeah, i guess I'll try once again to get him involved in the "planning sessions" once again although I know he'll resist with all his might. LOL
2 Likes   August 29, 2013 at 2:17PM
lilchik
By the way, he gave me till Monday to make-up my mind on the paint color or I'll be painting myself whenever I want! :-) I'm on a tight schedule......as you can see.
2 Likes   August 29, 2013 at 2:20PM
mefor
Yes, I'd say that's definitely a tight schedule!! :)
How about a grey with more blue in it?
0 Likes   August 29, 2013 at 2:26PM
lilchik
I used to dislike any hint of blue in gray colors but I'm not so strict anymore, if it works in the space -great! I'm thinking very slight tint of blue, not obvious, might work too.
1 Like   August 29, 2013 at 2:35PM
mefor
This one is deeper gray blue. I'm still searching for a better, grayer shade but thought I'd post it anyway.
SW indigo batik
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 29, 2013 at 2:43PM
lilchik
Ohhh no, this is too much blue! Sorry :)
1 Like   August 29, 2013 at 2:44PM
lilchik
Have you ever worked with Benjamin Moore paints? Any grays from them that you like?
0 Likes   August 29, 2013 at 2:45PM
mefor
Sw moody blue
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 29, 2013 at 3:10PM
mefor
Don't worry, that was the bluest one in the bunch. The rest are not at all blue.
I do like benjamin Moore paints, but I only have my sherwin williams fan deck with me, and I like to get the colors as true to the actual swatches as I can. I'm actually only picking the online pics that exactly match the paint swatch I'm holding in my hand. I can pick BM colors for you, but won't know how true they'll be on the screen.
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 29, 2013 at 3:14PM
mefor
SW poolhouse
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 29, 2013 at 3:18PM
mefor
SW dockside
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 29, 2013 at 3:20PM
lilchik
Does the SW Dovetail you tried earlier looks true to your swatch? I kinda like it in the pics I saw, it's a darker gray but not too dark for my liking, I think.
1 Like   August 29, 2013 at 3:31PM
mefor
Here's the dovetail, this large image is very true to the swatch. Here's a few images I found for you to look at.
0 Likes   August 29, 2013 at 3:55PM
mefor
:)
0 Likes   August 29, 2013 at 3:55PM
lilchik
Hmmm....appears heavy on brown on some photos. My feeling is it'll be very similar to Silver Fox.
Thanks for trying it out.
1 Like   August 29, 2013 at 4:22PM
mefor
Sw breezy
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 30, 2013 at 1:45AM
mefor
SW sea salt
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    August 30, 2013 at 1:47AM
mefor
Forgot to give you a pic of dovetail with the close up of headboard. :)
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 30, 2013 at 4:22AM
mefor
Sw soulmate
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 30, 2013 at 4:59AM
mefor
SW special gray
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    August 30, 2013 at 4:59AM
mefor
SW daydream
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    August 30, 2013 at 5:34AM
mefor
SW destiny
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 30, 2013 at 5:35AM
NexG Interiors
Here i give some suggestions.. Go for it.. You may get idea..

interiors decoration | chennai modular kitchens | chennai interiors
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 30, 2013 at 5:45AM
mefor
SW renwick heather
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 30, 2013 at 5:59AM
mefor
SW gray clouds
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    August 30, 2013 at 6:00AM
mefor
This bedding reminded me of the lamp you posted before the taupe one.
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 30, 2013 at 7:46AM
lilchik
You worked very hard mforr, thanks a bunch! The bedding set looks purple on my screen and the lamp is dark teal color.... :)
1 Like   August 30, 2013 at 10:10AM
carolins
Really? Lamp looks blue to me :-) Bedding does look a bit more purply blue to me too. So difficult to judge colours on screen... deep sigh....
1 Like   August 30, 2013 at 10:23AM
lilchik
How about this pic? I took this at night when I was trying one of the lamps out.
1 Like   August 30, 2013 at 10:29AM
carolins
Okay...it's 'only' $ 80, but I've seen pillows that cost $ 230 !!! http://www.etsy.com/listing/158437187/chiang-mai-dragon-aquamarine-schumacher?ref=shop_home_active
2 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 30, 2013 at 10:29AM
carolins
I've seen the light! Definitely teal :-) The chiang-mai pillow would be a nice touch...
1 Like   August 30, 2013 at 10:30AM
lilchik
Interesting pillow.......thanks Carolins!
1 Like   August 30, 2013 at 10:33AM
mefor
Maybe you need to go as light as this?
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    August 31, 2013 at 8:54AM
mefor
Sea salt, destiny and gray clouds all had that feeling, without making the headboard look dirty. Mindful gray might work as well.
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 31, 2013 at 8:56AM
mefor
I'm worried about your Monday deadline. Here's some lighter greige ones. I'll post the colors too
Repose gray
Agreeable gray
Useful gray
Conservative gray
Pearl gray
Modern gray
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    August 31, 2013 at 9:12AM
mefor
:)
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    August 31, 2013 at 9:13AM
lilchik
mforr, I'm open to anything now, really, since I'm kind of lost in this sea of paints and colors... ;-) You know, I'm starting to think I concentrated on darker gray for walls without any good reason besides thinking it would create a nice contrast for the headboard but it doesn't have to be so, right? As you can probably tell i'm not very fond of dark grays and maybe it's time to reconsider. In general, I like lighter grays more so than the darker ones.
2 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 9:14AM
mefor
What do you think of these last 6? And the inspiration photo? Trying to give you and your husband some different "looks", hoping one of them will speak to both of you, or at least to you. :)
0 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 9:20AM
carolins
Does the headboard colour look similar in real life? To the colour in the picture that mforr is using I mean.
1 Like   August 31, 2013 at 9:27AM
lilchik
I do like all these lighter shades of gray very much! a whole lot more than dark ones but like i said my only drawback is whether the lighter grays will create the right canvas for the headboard. My hubby is not due back home until Sunday night so he left it all up to me make a decision. :-) I'm hoping to run out and get a few samples of the lighter grays and try them out tonight.
I'm in my room right now (I'm hardly ever here past 9am, except on the weekends), it faces north and although I have a good size window, I don't get a whole lot of natural light in here, instead lots of shadows. Maybe a lighter gray will do the trick! Remember I'm getting black nightstands, hopefully they'll add a good dose of contrast.
1 Like   August 31, 2013 at 9:34AM
carolins
SW Balanced Beige? Could you try that in your pic mforr?
1 Like   August 31, 2013 at 9:34AM
carolins
Or do we think that will be too beige?
1 Like   August 31, 2013 at 9:35AM
mefor
Here you go, SW balanced beige
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 31, 2013 at 9:49AM
carolins
Thanks. I don't dislike it. But the colour of the walls needs to relate to something else in the room. And for that it probably is too beige. Back to the greys?
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    August 31, 2013 at 10:11AM
carolins
SW Heron Plume.
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 31, 2013 at 10:19AM
lilchik
Yeah Carolins, no beige, I've had enough of it everywhere! :) To answer your previous question, the headboard color is not very similar in real life, unfortunately. It appear too blue or too greenish in some of these pics. With the right amount of light it looks soft gray, with the blinds closed and all it gets darker and muddier looking, although I'm sure the surrounding color plays a factor. Sooooo, in an attempt to get a better picture, I put a white blanket on the bed and a white sheet behind the bed. ;) To go even a step further, I brought a nightstand in (it's 27" tall) in and put the lamp I bought on it. These pictures are a little better representation of the headboard color, I believe. This last pic is my Silver Fox sample.
1 Like   August 31, 2013 at 10:28AM
lilchik
Oooops, here are the pics. ;-)
2 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 10:29AM
carolins
The Silver Fox seems to be almost perfect to me :-) Wasn't that one of the first greys? Wouldn't it be funny if that would be the ONE!?
1 Like   August 31, 2013 at 10:36AM
carolins
Oh... and I like the lamp base!
1 Like   August 31, 2013 at 10:37AM
lilchik
Yes, Silver Fox was one of the three samples I bought way back! Funny huh? I believe I've talked my husband into going with one shade on the walls, instead of chopping the space up. Don't you think it's a better idea?
2 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 10:42AM
carolins
One shade is definitely best. I really do like the Silver Fox. With white curtains, nice contrast.
2 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 10:45AM
mefor
Haha, now that I've finished more samples!!! Should I post hem or not bother then? I like the silver fox much better now with the bed looking more true to life. I was going to suggest to you to have hubby prime the room first, so that the peachy colors were eradicated and we could see what we were dealing with. But blankie and sheet to the rescue. :)
1 Like   August 31, 2013 at 10:51AM
lilchik
mforr, please do! Blankie and sheet came to the rescue, that's for sure! Hey, my brain is fully alert and awake now cause I know the painting job must be started Monday or I'll be stuck for at least another month! LOL :-) You ladies think going lighter than Silver Fox isn't worth it? Or something with less brown in it?
1 Like   August 31, 2013 at 10:57AM
mefor
These are lighter shades of gray. With the new picture
Heron plume
Gray clouds
Zircon
Sea salt
Magnetic gray
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    August 31, 2013 at 11:02AM
mefor
Funny, it went over sheet, but seems to me it looks lighter, look at the area just under the silver fox, that's the truest color
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 31, 2013 at 11:04AM
carolins
I still vote Silver Fox. It will be chic.
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    August 31, 2013 at 11:45AM
lilchik
Remember Carolins when you first saw Silver Fox on the bathroom wall you immediately dismissed it as being too dark? LOL
I want to get a sample of Gray Clouds and see how that would look.
1 Like   August 31, 2013 at 12:06PM
carolins
Yes, I remember. But thát was for the bathroom :-) Véry different!
1 Like   August 31, 2013 at 12:15PM
lilchik
True, true! Just teasing you! :-)
2 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 12:24PM
mcholt
Just wanted to add that I had Silver Fox in my family room when I purchased the house 6 years. It is the nicest warmest grey I have ever had. I reprinted last year.... And did it Silver Fox again. And seriously would do my whole house in it. And not dark at all!
3 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 31, 2013 at 12:29PM
lilchik
Thanks mcholt! It doesn't appear as saturated on the wall as it does on my sample.
1 Like   August 31, 2013 at 12:34PM
carolins
I have to hug mcholt for those encouraging words :-)
(((mcholt)))
1 Like   August 31, 2013 at 1:05PM
mefor
Yay, do we have a couple more definite contenders then? Get that primer up soon!!!! :)
0 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 1:17PM
meljane
I haven't read all the comments, I stopped at the BW (?) Silver Fox, I love it with your bed. This colour would look great on top of the line, I could imagine a shade darker underneath. Cool bed btw! ;-)
2 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    August 31, 2013 at 1:44PM
lilchik
More votes for Silver Fox, yeh? Thanks meljane! I'm stop ping by SW to see the gray clouds "in-person" and maybe get a sample. That's the plan for today!
mforr, I won't dare to start priming myself, that's on hubby's to-do list for Monday! :-)
1 Like   August 31, 2013 at 1:52PM
lilchik
Believe it or not I was searching the net yesterday, looking at room photos online with gray walls (as always!) and came across a paint color that I thought looked good, it turned out to be Valspar's Rocky Bluffs, so I stopped by Lowe's last night and got a paint swatch, brought it home and voila! - almost an exact match to BM Silver Fox! :-))
2 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 1:58PM
carolins
LOL...
2 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 2:01PM
dipakpatel
Here is Large Collection Of Night Stands Night Stand Check it Out http://www.theclassyhome.com/comersus_listItems.asp?idCategory=312
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    September 4, 2013 at 7:23AM
lilchik
Ok, so we didn't get around to painting our bedroom over the weekend, just had enough time to prime the walls once. Anyway, here's the BM Silver Fox (flat finish) on the right side and SW Gray Clouds (satin finish) on the left side of the wall behind the bed. I painted the test swatches last night and absolutely hated the way both of them looked. :( This morning it looked a little better but I'm not happy with either one. These photos were taken this morning, when I get the most amount of natural light in the room, and even with my windows completely open, no blinds, they still look gloomy to me. Seriously, I think I need to look into lighter shades of gray, otherwise I'll end up with a dreadful room that I'll hate. :-(
1 Like   September 4, 2013 at 12:59PM
mefor
How about any of the ones I posted in the last few posts, there were lighter grieges and some other ones, including heron plume, sea salt, pearl gray, conservative gray and modern gray.
0 Likes   September 4, 2013 at 1:24PM
mefor
Don't be sad. :)
1 Like   September 4, 2013 at 1:24PM
lilchik
mforr, I'll be stopping by SW tonight to get a few more samples in lighter shades. Their swatches are pretty good representation of the actual color, so I'll just go by my gut feeling and see what happens. :-) Good thing my husband is away on a job assignment this week also, so he doesn't have to witness all this and get upset with me! LOL
1 Like   September 4, 2013 at 1:28PM
Ann
Just joining. Love the bed. Don't be unhappy about not liking the paint colors - you realized at the perfect time, before painting began!
2 Likes   September 4, 2013 at 1:30PM
lilchik
Welcome Ann! I know, I'm glad it's not the end of the paint project, right! ;-)
2 Likes   September 4, 2013 at 1:31PM
Ann
I love the way the balanced beige looks a few post above.
1 Like   September 4, 2013 at 1:32PM
Ann
I see you've got mforr helping. She was a big help to me (and others) in recent bedroom transitions. She knows how to shop online :)
2 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    September 4, 2013 at 1:41PM
mefor
These are very light and two of them are very gray vs greige. Those are my two favorites in this bunch.
Thanks Ann :) I loved helping you, I told lilchik about the anthropologie knobs, I know you loved those!!
You need to click on swatch to see the names at the bottom.
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    September 4, 2013 at 1:46PM
mefor
The others
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    September 4, 2013 at 1:46PM
lilchik
Ann, mforr has been absolutely awesome, definitely! And all of you houzzers are great! Love this site!
mforr, I got all these names down, will stop by the SW store after work tonight and pick out a couple samples to take home and try out. Thanks.
2 Likes   September 4, 2013 at 3:46PM
mefor
I hope one of them is the ONE, good luck, let me know how it goes. :)
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    September 4, 2013 at 3:58PM
lilchik
I sure hope so too! Will let you all know, most definitely! :-)
1 Like   September 4, 2013 at 4:34PM
lilchik
I've got another sample up! mforr, it's one of those six you posted in the last post up above. Can you guess which one of the six this is? Not trying to play games with you, don't get me wrong :), just trying to see if it matches the swatch you've got in your SW color fan deck.
BTW, this photo was taken at night, with only the ceiling light on. I'll take another one in the morning and see how it compares.
1 Like   September 5, 2013 at 12:26AM
lilchik
Here is a pic of the color swatches I was looking at in the store. Almost all of these had "gray" in their name but hardly any looked gray to me.......am I loosing my sense of color??? :( I've read somewhere that it takes 10 samples on average to find the right gray, this is my 5th one, maybe I'm not going crazy just yet....
1 Like   September 5, 2013 at 12:40AM
hooleydooley
Hi Lilchik is this the longest thread ever? have you finished this room? I haven't followed the whole thread so i'm throwing my bits in at the end here. Your bed is really elegant and somehow the headboard reminds me of the GEORGIAN period (dunno why) but it's a LIGHT, ELEGANT period. So I reckon you should keep the other furniture delicate and if possible with legs, The mirrored cabinets are cool albeit 1920s? 30's? - maybe look for a Georgian style side table and have mirror tops cut to bounce around some light.

I would do the walls in ivory with doors and trim similar to the bedframe, but not exact. The eye is able to link things without matching them exactly Ivory is warm and leaves you scope to change the room (keep Husband happy :)) . I would introduce TEXTURE in the curtain fabric and a few cushions but not matching, maybe various TOILE prints in grey on ivory. Cheers Miss P! (in Australia)
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    September 5, 2013 at 2:07AM
carolins
SW Ivory Lace or SW Antique White?
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    September 5, 2013 at 2:35AM
carolins
Sorry, don't want to confuse you anymore ;-) Just see what colours you're drawn too from the SW swatches. You've made progress, because you're now sure that you want to go light in colour :-D
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    September 5, 2013 at 2:44AM
mefor
These are very light grays, but the lighting in your bedroom might make them look a bit deeper. If these look too dark, we should probably look at whites that have a tiny bit of gray in them. I had suggested the sea salt to you before, but it does have a slight blue or slight green cast depending on the light. But it is a lovely light color.
The other three are just light, light grays. I'm hoping one of them will make you "smile"
SW sea salt
SW silver strand
SW passive
SW gray screen
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    September 5, 2013 at 3:54AM
mefor
The one you put up last night, is it repose? It looks awful and tan. Even if it looks better in the morning, I don't think I'd want to look at it in the evenings. Try the ones above, and then we can look at ivories or whites with gray. Sorry :(
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    September 5, 2013 at 4:04AM
lilchik
Here we go, morning photo. :-) I couldn't help myself and also put-up Revere Pewter last night.
From left to right:
BM Revere Pewter
SW Gray Clouds
BM Silver Fox
SW Agreeable Gray
BM Revere Pewter
I put Revere Pewter up on both ends of spectrum to see how it shows in various lights. I don't want to go the beige route, no way, I want a soft gray, it shouldn't be this hard........ (deep sigh)
1 Like   September 5, 2013 at 10:50AM
lilchik
Yeah mforr, the SW Agreeable Gray reads very beige on the wall. I painted a swatch in my bathroom over the BM Abalone and it's almost an exact match, just a tiny bit lighter. So Agreeable Gray is out for me!
1 Like   September 5, 2013 at 10:53AM
mefor
What do you think of the four colors I posted today? They're definitely not beige on the swatches. But the lighting in room might be throwing everything off a little. What color is the floor? Is there any artificial lighting on when pictures are taken? Is every wall primed? Just looking for any reason why the colors get so muddy. :)
0 Likes   September 5, 2013 at 1:14PM
lilchik
mforr, the colors you posted today appear with a green tint on my screen, I'll make a note of them though and compare them on the SW color fan deck. The floors in my bedroom are on the darker side, dark brown I'd say, you can see it in the earlier pictures.
There's no artificial light in the room when I take pictures in the morning, at night I just turn my ceiling light on and it's not the brightest either because I have a huge dark wood color fan up there with 3 lights but they're not lighting the room enough. I'm hoping to get rid of that fan and get a chandelier or something that'll illuminate the room much better. Every wall in the room was primed once so nothing is being reflected in the colors you're seeing. The colors all do appear kinda muddy, you're right, that's how they look in-person as well.
1 Like   September 5, 2013 at 3:25PM
mefor
We've got this lilchik, we are not going to be defeated by the color gray!!! It will work, even if it kills me, lol :)
2 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    September 5, 2013 at 3:31PM
lilchik
Ohhh mforr, please don't let it kill you! It would have to kill me before it kills you, anyway! :-) I do hope that this is over soon though, it's been dragging on forever it seems. Someone commented today that it's the longest post ever......hmmmm I don't think so, I've seen much longer ones. And besides we've declared a war here on the color gray and someone has to come out a winner, right? lol
2 Likes   September 5, 2013 at 3:47PM
mefor
You bet your sweet... Potato? !!!
2 Likes   September 5, 2013 at 3:56PM
lilchik
Regarding the discussion on why all the colors appear muddy and warmer on my walls, here's what I've learned doing some research on it. This is from the Sherwin Williams website, maybe it will helpful to someone:

In residential and commercial spaces, artificial lighting is frequently used to either supplement daylight or replace it entirely. The type of artificial lighting used plays a large role in how a color looks.
Incandescent bulbs: These generate yellow light that intensifies warm colors but tends to dull cooler colors.
Halogen bulbs: These newer incandescent bulbs produce brighter, white light that is more like sunlight.
Fluorescent bulbs: These generate cool, blue light that amplifies blues and greens, but mutes warmer colors.
"Soft white" fluorescent bulbs: These mimic the warmth of incandescent bulbs, but all colors can appear faded in their light.
Full-spectrum fluorescents: Although expensive, these bulbs produce light that most closely resembles natural sunlight.

"Incandescent and halogen lighting tends to warm up reds and yellows because the wavelengths of these artificial lights are warm," says Zimmer. So, if a client has incandescent light fixtures in a room where they want blue walls, you'll have to make color adjustments when it comes to picking the paint, such as selecting a blue hue that has been toned with red.

The type of light fixture can also affect the coloration in a room, because the fixture typically determines how the light from any type of bulb is dispersed.
Sconces: These fixtures give off indirect lighting by aiming the light toward ceilings or walls.
Shades: Lampshades will change the coloration and strength of the bulb inside them. If the lampshade is of a warm hue, it will cast this glow onto the other colors in the room. Strongly colored shades will mute any surrounding colors, while white or ivory shades will give off the brightest light.
Parabolic lights or downlights: They direct light straight down from the ceiling. This provides a lot of light on work surfaces and floors, but can cause ceilings and the top edges of walls to appear dark in comparison.

According to Phillip Finkelstein, vice president of Illuminations, a specialty lighting company in Rockville Center, N.Y., light trained onto the ceiling will be diffused throughout the room, giving a lofty aspect to any space. The higher the ceiling, the higher the wattage should be. Wattage plays a part in this because it is what gives the light its tone – the higher the wattage, the brighter the light, and vice versa. "The wattage is dependent on the size of the room and how much light output is needed to carry out the room's functions," says Finkelstein.

To create a crisp, airy atmosphere that will show off bright colors to best effect, consider using bright-white light bulbs, or some of the new fluorescents or halogens. For a warmer, cozier look that works well with darker colors and rich textures, go with light-pink bulbs, or even amber-colored accent lights in sconces.
2 Likes   September 6, 2013 at 5:10PM
lilchik
Ok, I've got a new contender up and I'm liking it! It's the one all the way on the right. I ran out of space on the wall behind the bed, so I moved the bed over to see how it would look. In fact, I've primed over the other samples already and put a huge swath on the wall, waiting for it dry. I'm seriously hoping I've found it. :-))
6 Likes   September 7, 2013 at 1:55PM
lilchik
By the way, it is BM Metro Gray, to the left of it is BM Revere Pewter and then SW Agreeable Gray, just a tiny bit of BM Silver Fox is visible too.
1 Like   September 7, 2013 at 1:58PM
mefor
I think I like it too, at beach so it's hard to see. I should be leaving in a little while, so windy. I'll take a look when I get back to house. From what I can see, it looks a million times better. See you soon, hope it's a winner :)
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    September 7, 2013 at 2:14PM
lilchik
Nice view!!! Wow, l'd want to be there now! Is this in Florida somewhere?
I'm hoping it's a winner too, will post a pic of it when it's all dry and not patchy looking. :)
2 Likes   September 7, 2013 at 2:17PM
mefor
Jersey shore, without the JerseyShore cast, lol.
2 Likes   September 7, 2013 at 2:19PM
lilchik
What do you think? I placed a charcoal pillow against the headboard for contrast and that's the curtain panel hanging on the headboard that I'm thinking of using in the room.
4 Likes   September 7, 2013 at 3:35PM
mefor
I really like the metro, what a better look, not muddy. Look how brown the others look in comparison. Huge difference!!! Are you loving it? Is it light enough for you?
0 Likes   September 7, 2013 at 3:39PM
Ann
I like it, but am wondering how one shade lighter on the same color strip would look.
0 Likes   September 7, 2013 at 3:48PM
lilchik
Oh yeah, the Revere Pewter (that's the only one left on the wall) looks muddy green/brown, very ugly. That swath in the corner is also Metro Gray. It looks very fresh in person but not overly stark, i definitely don't want to go any lighter or the room will feel washed out. It appears just slightly darker than the headboard, which I love. Should I call off my search??? hhmmm......i feel nervous......:-)
1 Like   September 7, 2013 at 3:48PM
Ann
Oops, we overlapped and you answered my question about one shade lighter.
1 Like   September 7, 2013 at 3:49PM
lilchik
Ann, metro gray is slightly lighter in person than it appears on photos. I'm unable to take good photos in this room because of the two windows that are almost opposite each other and light coming through creates shadows on the walls.
2 Likes   September 7, 2013 at 3:51PM
mefor
I don't think you need to feel nervous, I think it's very complimentary to the headboard, plus you're probably using mirrored nightstands, white drapes, I'm assuming some white on bed. And I think if you get a lighter rug or a rug with a mix of light and dark, you'll be very happy with your choice. I'll vote for the metro. How does your husband like it? Is it a team contender?
2 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    September 7, 2013 at 3:52PM
mefor
That's so funny, I gave you the SW equivalent a few days ago
SW zircon. :)
0 Likes   September 7, 2013 at 3:57PM
lilchik
My husband isn't back home yet but I sent him a pic and he says he likes it!
I'm thinking of getting flat paint for ceiling, eggshell for walls and satin or semi-glass for trim and moldings. Does that sound about right?
1 Like   September 7, 2013 at 3:59PM
mefor
Sounds perfect. That's what I would do, I prefer the semi for the trim, love the way it catches the light, accentuates the trim. Look at this match. Just about as close as can be.
I definitely love the metro. :D
1 Like   September 7, 2013 at 4:02PM
lilchik
Oh really? LOL Maybe, but it's very hard to judge colors off the screen. :( I'm probably going to run to the store before it closes tonight and get it. You know what, I'm planning on getting this mixed d by SW because they' still have the Labor Day 30% off going till the end of the day today.
1 Like   September 7, 2013 at 4:03PM
lilchik
Huh........those two are VERY close match! LOL You were right on top of things!!! Thank YOU!
1 Like   September 7, 2013 at 4:05PM
lilchik
I got this sunburst mirror recently, thinking it might go over the bed but it's way too big. I was hoping to use it somewhere else in the house but I think this would have to be returned because it's not contemporary looking enough. Do you think it looks too traditional? I like sunburst mirrors but with cleaner lines....
1 Like   September 7, 2013 at 4:19PM
mefor
How big is it? It's actually a very nice sunburst, not the everyday pointy one you see all the time.
0 Likes   September 7, 2013 at 5:11PM
lilchik
I returned it already, it was 42in in diameter. I tried it over the bed and it hits the crown moldings! lol
1 Like   September 7, 2013 at 8:53PM
carolins
For what it's worth, I really like the Metro Gray :-)
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    September 8, 2013 at 12:13AM
lilchik
Thank you ladies for your support! I really appreciate it! :-)
1 Like   September 8, 2013 at 11:19AM
lilchik
I got the paint already and waiting for husband to get back home to start on the painting projec. I'm very excited to see how it turns out! While I'm waiting on that, I'm debating whether to look for a solid white duvet cover/coverlet/quilt and add a throw in the accent color or vice versa? Any ideas, considering the color of the bed, wall color and the white curtain panels?
0 Likes   September 10, 2013 at 5:06PM
mefor
With your gorgeous high backed headboard, I could see the bed covered in a coverlet, and a duvet, white and fluffy, folded in thirds at foot of bed.
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    September 10, 2013 at 5:24PM
mefor
Like this but with a colored coverlet?
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    September 10, 2013 at 5:26PM
lilchik
Oh, I see what you mean! That's a great idea! I'll try this layout once I have the walls painted, maybe I can try it with this silver colored coverlet I had tried earlier.
1 Like   September 10, 2013 at 5:30PM
mefor
I think that's a great idea, are you going to use some euro shams?
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    September 10, 2013 at 5:35PM
lilchik
I want to but at the same time don't want to hide this beautiful headboard too much..... here's a pic with one of the two accent pillows I got earlier that I believe are in the euro shams size range. Sorry, i don't have a better pic of the whole pillow but it gives you an idea of how high it will come up against the headboard. What about the color of this dark gray pillow? I think it creates a nice contrast with the headboard....I want to get one or two accent pillows with teal and maybe some other color in them. However, I would hate to overload the bed with pillows, no more than five I'd say. How will I ever get this done?? lol
1 Like   September 10, 2013 at 5:48PM
mefor
Love two of those with the two white ones you have (with the silver coverlet) in front and then maybe one long lumbar in the accent color?
0 Likes   September 10, 2013 at 5:57PM
mefor
That's just 5 :)
Can you get another one of those dark gray ones?
0 Likes   September 10, 2013 at 5:57PM
mefor
Is that a queen bed?
0 Likes   September 10, 2013 at 5:58PM
lilchik
I do have two of those charcoal pillows, yes! I was so in the rush of paint sampling that i totally forgot about them. I was going to use them exactly in the layout you suggested but then thought how am I going to add my accent color? :-) I need to look for a nice lumbar pillow! :)
1 Like   September 10, 2013 at 6:00PM
lilchik
Yes, it's a queen.
1 Like   September 10, 2013 at 6:01PM
mefor
See, it was meant to be!! Everything is going to start falling into place. Love it. :)
2 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    September 10, 2013 at 6:02PM
mefor
I'm on my way to bed, but I wanted to post these ideas for you first. Just thought that a long bolster might be as nice as a long lumbar if the fabric is something you love. :)
2 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    September 10, 2013 at 6:32PM
mefor
:)
2 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    September 10, 2013 at 6:33PM
mefor
:)
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    September 10, 2013 at 6:33PM
mefor
:)
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    September 10, 2013 at 6:34PM
lilchik
Thank you mforr for the great options! I really like the peacock pillows and the teal/brown/taupe pillow, i don't think a solid colored pillow will work though.
1 Like   September 10, 2013 at 11:07PM
mefor
I love the peacock options!!! I didn't want to influence you with my choice in the selection, but the more teal one is my favorite. :)
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    September 11, 2013 at 1:17AM
lilchik
Ahuh....that's funny! Same here! :-)
Do any of you have experience spray painting a lamp shade? I'm wondering if it's worth trying on my beige linen shades that came with the teal lamps I bought.
0 Likes   September 11, 2013 at 10:54AM
mefor
If you hate them and want to replace them anyway, why not give it a go. You can pick up replacement lampshades at target or lowes that will probably work for your style. Or Capitol lighting if you have one near you. Probably even Walmart.
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    September 11, 2013 at 10:57AM
mefor
I had a couple of inspiration pics for you on pillow arrangements, take a look :)
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    September 11, 2013 at 10:59AM
lilchik
Cool! Thanks mforr, you're always on top of things! Looking at these, I also like the three smaller pillows in front of the euro shams, that might work too. Would they all have to be the same though? If I could get two of the same and a different third one to go in the middle.......maybe?
1 Like   September 11, 2013 at 11:24AM
mefor
I think that would be cool, quirky and unique, three of the same looks very modern and clean and contemporary. Which look seems more like you? Sounds like two and one :)
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    September 11, 2013 at 11:34AM
lilchik
I consider my style (if i may say that, lol) to be contemporary but I like to add a little bit of uniqueness for fun! :-)) So you're right, the two and one look is more like me. But I'd definitely try both ways and see what looks better.
1 Like   September 11, 2013 at 11:40AM
mefor
That sounds like a plan, lol :)
I can't wait to see things happen, it's going to be great :D
0 Likes   September 11, 2013 at 11:45AM
lilchik
I can't wait too but I'm dependent on my husband to get the painting job done and then I can get to work! I told him I wasn't going to wait for him to get back and will start painting on my own but he was like "no way!" LOL I'm really hoping the painting part will be done this weekend. I never thought this whole process was going to be so time consuming but I want to get it done right!!! :-)
1 Like   September 11, 2013 at 12:02PM
mefor
Since the air conditioning is on and I can't feel how hot and humid it is outside, I am having soup for dinner. Carrot ginger. Yum. Yum. YUM. Also very easy, I made it in advance and froze it.
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    September 11, 2013 at 12:15PM
mefor
Haha, lilchik, that was for another discussion, but thank you for liking what I had for dinner 2 days ago. :)
I'm waiting on pins and needles for the news about the paint this weekend, good luck!!
0 Likes   September 13, 2013 at 3:52PM
lilchik
lol, hope your dinner was great! I will keep you posted, for sure! :-)
1 Like   September 13, 2013 at 5:36PM
lilchik
Good Monday to all of you! Here's a quick preview of my newly painted bedroom. My husband had only enough time to get one coat done on Saturday, second coat is going on as I'm typing this and the trim is yet to be painted. Of course I couldn't wait until it's all done to post pics, so here's a quick update. BTW, I'm loving how it's turning out! :)
4 Likes   September 16, 2013 at 10:30AM
mefor
Lilchik, I'm loving it too. Looks amazing already, I am not missing the peachy color that kept changing the headboard color, lol. It looks so much better, can't wait to see the bed back in place. Did you ever order nightstands? I can't remember where you were with that. :)
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    September 16, 2013 at 10:35AM
carolins
Oh... how much better does that look?!? Love it!
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    September 16, 2013 at 10:38AM
Elisa Jed
The posts in the fabric - they look like a dark wood. If it was me I would try to find simple side tables (may with a drawer) that matched that wook. I would draw more contrast with the lighter colored head board. I recently came across a good interior designer that has some good ideas: www.cricklewoodinteriors.com. They can give advice for color coordination if you want.
0 Likes   September 16, 2013 at 10:40AM
lilchik
Thank you ladies! I'm not missing the peachy walls either, they are gone for good, phew. We went ahead and painted the bath all same color. I got the old vanity lights and mirrors down, in fact I sold them already on CL. Also, the huge ceiling fan I had over the bed is down too, will be getting a new light fixture, thinking of something like the attached pic (not in chrome finish though).
mforr (is your name Michele? i was it on other discussions), I will be getting the black mirrored nightstands as soon as the room is ready for them, they are available in the local store so I don't have to order anything.
2 Likes   September 16, 2013 at 11:05AM
mefor
Yes, I'm Michele and yes, love that new light fixture!! So happy to hear you liked the color enough to continue into bathroom. Well done on selling the old lighting as well. :)
Pretty exciting time in your bedroom, and Ann's also, both of you getting the color on the wall at nearly the same time :)
1 Like   September 16, 2013 at 11:42AM
lilchik
Nice to meet you again Michele and I'm Lily. :-)
It is definitely pretty exciting time in my bedroom! I've been following Ann's discussion as well and it's pretty cool that we're getting the painting done at the same time!
I'm planning to stop by some stores tonight to look at vanity light fixtures and mirrors and I'm thinking I should get the fixtures in ORB finish to match the faucets and other hardware I have in the bathroom but what about the mirrors? Frameless or black frames?
1 Like   September 16, 2013 at 11:54AM
mefor
Hi Lily! :)
What do you think of two of these? Love the look, love the color and love how it would update the bathroom.
http://www.potterybarn.com/m/products/kensington-mirror/?pkey=cbath-mirrors
2 Likes   September 16, 2013 at 12:06PM
lilchik
Those are lovely Michele but way out of my price range......:(
1 Like   September 16, 2013 at 12:55PM
mefor
Don't worry Lily, you know I'll find something similar at a much better price, never fear :)
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    September 16, 2013 at 1:24PM
lilchik
I never doubted your abilities Michele! :)
1 Like   September 16, 2013 at 1:26PM
mefor
Two seconds later, I've got one for $200, lets see how far down we can go in 15 minutes, lol. :)
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    September 16, 2013 at 1:27PM
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    September 16, 2013 at 1:28PM
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    September 16, 2013 at 1:35PM
lilchik
Thanks Michele, you are a true bargain hunter, you'd get the first prize if there was a marathon on bargain shopping! :-)
Hmm....I don't think I want oval shaped mirrors again. Rectangle would probably work out better, don't you think?
1 Like   September 16, 2013 at 1:53PM
mefor
I do prefer rectangle, not finished searching yet,had to do something else for a minute. We shall prevail !!!
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    September 16, 2013 at 2:01PM
lilchik
It looks like I need to stop by Lowes tonight! Thanks Michele, I like the last two options.
3 Likes   September 16, 2013 at 2:55PM
SCHARLY DESIGNER STUDIO, Inc
In a contemporary style, find a orange nightstand, or buy one cheap and paint it in orange.. Or you can mix it with eclectic wood, palets style, you can find it at Crate & Barrel or West elm..
What do you think of it?
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    September 16, 2013 at 7:39PM
lilchik
Thank you for suggestions Scharly but I'm afraid I'd have to move out of the house along with the orange nightstands...:-) My husband is very traditional in his furniture choices and we're trying to find middle ground. I'd probably go for it if it was only my choice! :-)
1 Like   September 17, 2013 at 10:48AM
SCHARLY DESIGNER STUDIO, Inc
:-) It would work well... But has I said, to be more traditional, and still in a contemporary style, and Eclectic wood will work too.. And then, you can stay @ home :-)
2 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    September 17, 2013 at 11:46AM
lilchik
We finally finished the painting task!!!. Sigh.........oh my was it time consuming........ My husband ended-up tackling the whole thing almost exclusively by himself since I was at work and couldn't help him much, except I did the cleaning part. Thank you Darling!
Our bed is back in the room and here's what we've got so far. I'm still shopping for bath mirrors and light fixtures, that's why the wall there is empty looking. Stopped by the local Lowe's a few days ago and they didn't have any of the rectangular frameless mirrors available in store. However, I'm not sure I should go for frameless look on the mirrors, I think they might look lost on the wall there, maybe framed mirrors would be a wiser option? Anyway, here are some pics for you. What do you all think of the color?
1 Like   September 19, 2013 at 10:27AM
mefor
The color is perfect!!! Your husband is quite a guy and quite a painter, hats off to him :)
I think if the light fixtures are in the bronze color, the frameless with the bronze finish pivoting hardware would look fine. They will stick out on either side. Plus you have the dark shelf on the side and the dark counter and vanity, I think it would be ok. Would be great if someone could photo shop the mirror onto the bathroom wall.
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    September 19, 2013 at 10:36AM
carolins
Colour looks beautiful. I think that frameless mirrors will look fine in your bathroom, clean and contemporary look. But of course it's possible that you prefer framed ones :-)
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    September 19, 2013 at 10:43AM
carolins
Had to get a picture shot at about the same angle as your bathroom photo, so I ended up using an oval one, but it gives you an idea. Had to guestimate the size and they are probably not at the right height so you have to use a bit of imagination :-)
2 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    September 19, 2013 at 10:50AM
lilchik
Oh how cool is that Carolins? Thank you. I actually like how it looks! Ok, I'll continue to search for frameless, definitely more contemporary looking than a framed one would be, don't you think?
2 Likes   September 19, 2013 at 11:57AM
lilchik
I don't know how good these photos will show since I saved them from the website but I'm loving these chandeliers for the bedroom. The only thing I'm worried about is the squiggly shadows that will appear when the light is turned on in the evening due to textured shade. Maybe that's a positive thing, who knows...
2 Likes   September 19, 2013 at 12:05PM
mefor
Love the squiggly shadows, that's part of the allure! :)
Love the chandeliers, perfect bling :)
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    September 19, 2013 at 12:44PM
lilchik
Sounds good! I'll go ahead and make my final selection and order it.
1 Like   September 19, 2013 at 1:07PM
mefor
I know these aren't your chandeliers, but look at how cool some of these shadows look :)
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    September 19, 2013 at 1:10PM
mefor
:)
mefor
You should install dimmer switch for mood lighting. :)
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    September 19, 2013 at 1:11PM
SCHARLY DESIGNER STUDIO, Inc
Something like that... and mixed with Fonts Pillows...
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    September 19, 2013 at 2:18PM
carolins
Interesting shadows are a good thing. Hope you chose (or choose) the first one with the curved lines. Softer shapes, nice with your bedhead and I think more appropriate in a bedroom.
3 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    September 19, 2013 at 11:36PM
lilchik
Carolins, thank you! I did choose the first one and placed an order already. :)
I also ordered these mirrors for the bathroom.
2 Likes   September 20, 2013 at 1:49PM
mefor
Love them :)
They're going to look great !
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    September 20, 2013 at 1:54PM
lilchik
Thanks Michele, I hope so too! :)
Ok, so now I need to think of the pillows and most likely a rug......I don't think my old one is going to work. Oh, I'm afraid to even think of shopping for the perfect rug......I know how intimidating rug shopping can be because of the millions of choices out there.
2 Likes   September 20, 2013 at 2:05PM
mefor
Are you thinking of grays, silvers, teal? Modern, over dyed, solid, patterned?
0 Likes   September 20, 2013 at 2:07PM
lilchik
ohhhhhh if only I knew............I don't like over dyed rugs, that's for sure. Also, a solid one would be boring....I want some pattern but not too busy, I'd prefer a rug that's versatile enough to work for different accent colors if I decide to change in the near future.....hope my husband is not reading this :-)
1 Like   September 20, 2013 at 2:13PM
mefor
Hahahaha, I hope not either!! You will be in sooooo much trouble. :)
I'll look for some gray ones, I'll post a few different styles and you can have a good look at them, see what you think. Be back in a few :)
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    September 20, 2013 at 2:16PM
lilchik
:) :) :) Well, hopefully it isn't going to happen in the very near future, maybe distant future, like couple years down the road. :) He put soooo much time into it over the course of four days! He had to remove the ceiling fan (which I sold already too!), the bathroom lights, closet rods and shelves, blinds, etc. Everything required two coats of paint, including ceiling, crown moldings, baseboards, chair rail, and then three sets of doors. He was totally exhausted by the end and the most important part - he was missing out on salmon fishing all this time! I suspect that was giving him more trouble than the painting task itself. :-)
2 Likes   September 20, 2013 at 2:34PM
mefor
That's a good man, a keeper, we won't give him any reason to be upset then, lets find something you'll never get tired of. :)
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    September 20, 2013 at 2:42PM
mefor
:)
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    September 20, 2013 at 2:43PM
mefor
:)
mefor
:)
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    September 20, 2013 at 2:44PM
mefor
:)
mefor
:)
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    September 20, 2013 at 2:45PM
mefor
I know a couple have some blue, but they're very pretty so I thought I'd throw them out there too :)
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    September 20, 2013 at 2:45PM
Ann
Those are some nice rug choices!
1 Like   September 20, 2013 at 3:35PM
lilchik
Oh la la......nice choices Michele, thanks! Gives me something to think about. :)
1 Like   September 20, 2013 at 5:32PM
mefor
Hi lilchik :)
Hope all is well, I'm assuming you're still thinking of teal as accent color. Saw this in my emails this morning, from pier one. Lots of teal tones in this frame, just thought it was a nice little touch for dresser or nightstand, depending on the sizes it comes in. Talk soon, hope the rug search is coming along. :)
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    September 25, 2013 at 7:13AM
lilchik
Thanks Michele for keeping my project in mind! I was away for eight days on vacation in Mexico therefore my project was placed on hold. It's great to be on a vacation but it's also great to be back home!
Here's a photo update for you ladies. As you can tell I finally got the nightstands and I like them, quite roomy. :)
While I was away the bathroom mirrors and chandelier came in, looking forward to getting those installed.
2 Likes   October 3, 2013 at 9:27AM
mefor
I love the nightstands, well worth waiting for. Great size. :)
Did you have a wonderful trip?
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    October 3, 2013 at 9:34AM
carolins
The nightstands look perfect. I would try to find different lampshades, just plain white drum shaped ones I think.
Hope you had a wonderful holiday :-)
4 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    October 3, 2013 at 10:23AM
carolins
This shape I mean, a drum that doesn't get wider at the bottom :-) http://www.potterybarn.com/products/linen-straight-side-drum-lamp-shade/?pkey=cshades-accessories&cm_src=shades-accessories||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    October 3, 2013 at 10:27AM
lilchik
We had a wonderful trip! It was absolutely lovely, we got lucky there were no hurricanes because it is the hurricane season now in the Caribbean. The weather was excellent the whole time we were there so we got a chance to get some suntan. :)
I will be replacing those lamp shades for white ones as soon as I can get my hands on it. I was considering painting these ones but I'm not happy with the shape either, I do want the drum shaped ones.
2 Likes   October 3, 2013 at 12:11PM
carolins
Pottery Barn
3 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    October 3, 2013 at 12:27PM
carolins
PB too
3 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    October 3, 2013 at 12:34PM
Martha Relan
Why not paint three walls tau pet, but paint the wall behind the bed a strong color? With an upholstered bed, your choices in night stands are unlimited. Decide on a dresser first.
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    October 3, 2013 at 12:34PM
mefor
Hey,, why don't you do that lilchik? ;D
2 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    October 3, 2013 at 12:37PM
carolins
@Martha Relan, you're late to the party, the nightstands have been bought and the room has been painted.
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    October 3, 2013 at 12:45PM
lilchik
oh wow Carolins, that is nice! I do need to replace that rug, don't I? :-) Accent pillows and new shades are on my shopping list now. Those shades look wonderful by the way!
Thanks for the suggestion Martha but I just finished painting my room couple weeks ago! :)
2 Likes   October 3, 2013 at 12:49PM
carolins
Went to Pier One for a couple of extra accessories. The frame the mforr suggested and a beautiful pillow:
3 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    October 3, 2013 at 1:10PM
mefor
That's looking really good, nicely done carolins, I love it :)
Bet lilchik will too :)
1 Like   October 3, 2013 at 1:40PM
lilchik
You're a magician Carolins! Thanks. Can you somehow magically send all those things my way? :-))) Love it all!
4 Likes   October 3, 2013 at 2:07PM
carolins
Wait... later today I'll do a different look for your bedroom... I'm having fun with it. Need a bit of time to put things together...
Glad you like the peacock room :-)
2 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    October 4, 2013 at 2:27AM
mefor
Carolins, could you put this lovely pillow in? Don't know if the pic is good enough to use, I could try and find the link. It's very pretty, would be gorgeous with the deep teals as an accent. No worries if you can't do it. :)
2 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    October 4, 2013 at 4:17AM
carolins
I can, it is beautiful...:-) People keep dropping in for a coffee today, so I just haven't had time yet. I'll try something tonight... and otherwise tomorrow.... just watch this space :-D
2 Likes   October 4, 2013 at 7:58AM
mefor
I'll be over for a cup of coffee in a few minutes, please have a cup ready :)
Thank you :D
1 Like   October 4, 2013 at 8:09AM
carolins
I felt it needed something else in that colour too, found a throw at Pier1 in 'stone'. The rug is from Pier1 too.
2 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    October 4, 2013 at 11:46AM
carolins
Peacock room with the teal rug (haven't had time to find other options yet)
2 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    October 4, 2013 at 11:49AM
carolins
Westelm
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    October 4, 2013 at 12:02PM
mefor
Love the first two, like the third. I like the yellow mixed with lighter gray and citrusy green.
Which is your favorite? :)
0 Likes   October 4, 2013 at 12:11PM
carolins
Mirrors may be too large in real life, but I'm including the link anyway. Suppose you fall in love with them and I forget where they're from ;-) Or maybe you hate them...
The rest is from Westelm again.
3 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    October 4, 2013 at 12:23PM
mefor
Ok, love that one too :)
2 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    October 4, 2013 at 12:31PM
carolins
Peacock with teal rug and the last one, gold & grey, are my favs :-)
2 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    October 4, 2013 at 12:34PM
Ann
I like peacock pillow arrangement with PB (gray and white) rug - the "Went to Pier One...." combo.
2 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    October 4, 2013 at 4:17PM
lilchik
Wow Carolins! Thank YOU! The second and last one are my favorite minus the gold mirrors :) Don't like mirrors in such "obvious" golden frames.......however, I'm liking that gold/silver pillow. If you remember way back I posted a pic of the two round mirrors I got to try behind the lamps, i'll be trying those out soon too.
My husband installed the chandelier last night and mirrors in the bathroom are on his to-do list for tonight. :-)
Here are the two mirrors I'm talking about to go behind the lamps.
3 Likes   October 4, 2013 at 4:17PM
Ann
I like the last gold pillows too, but then the lamp color just doesn't make sense to me, even with the bird:)
2 Likes   October 4, 2013 at 4:19PM
mefor
Carolins is very good, isn't she :)
3 Likes   October 4, 2013 at 4:48PM
mefor
I like those mirrors, lilchik. What's the diameter?
2 Likes   October 4, 2013 at 4:49PM
lilchik
Carolins is a genious indeed! Kudos to her from me! :-)
I believe those mirrors are about 24-26 inches in diameter, don't know exactly....not home now to measure them.
2 Likes   October 4, 2013 at 5:30PM
carolins
Ann is right, the teal lamps don't make much sense with the gold pillows, but I did like the gold with the grey...:-) Maybe with the teal rug though... I'll try that later. Thank you all for being so nice :-D
2 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    October 5, 2013 at 7:57AM
carolins
tadaa, didn't change the mirrors, imagine them silver :-)
I do think that the teal rug (it is called 'peacock' in Pier1 language) warms up the room. Although the (or a) grey rug is nice too.
2 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    October 5, 2013 at 8:24AM
carolins
I wish I could 'like' my own suggestions :-D
I just want to say, your room looks great and I am learning Carolins is *genius*;))
4 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    October 5, 2013 at 8:34AM
carolins
LOL Margo, I'm so disappointed that you haven't noticed that before :-)
3 Likes   October 5, 2013 at 9:10AM
Oh, I knew you were brilliant, but now learning more towards GENIUS ;)
4 Likes   October 5, 2013 at 9:11AM
carolins
Whayhay! I will bookmark this discussion for when I have a less geniussy day :-) (Not that that happens often of course ;-))
4 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    October 5, 2013 at 9:14AM
tracyctus
Wow, I spent hours to read through all your comments and amazed about your thoughts. It's such a coincident that I have similar dilemma for my bedroom too and I even checked the exact same upholstered bed before!! Also, already painted my wall to one of SW grey too. @Carolin, you are amazing and would you be able to help me somewhat too? @lilchik, congratulations on your project and it looks fantastic and hope you don't mind I am leveraging your resource here:) FYI my bedroom picture, isn't it a similar grey? Thanks for the help!
3 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    October 5, 2013 at 10:18AM
tracyctus
Sorry, I mis-spelled your name in last comment @carolins. Would you be able to help me too? Thanks!!
1 Like   October 5, 2013 at 10:22AM
lilchik
Thank you Margo for complimenting my room! Trust me, it wouldn't be that great if it wasn't for this website and the wonderful people eager to help each other! I think that in itself is amazing! !
Tracyctus, you're more than welcome to leverage the resources available in this discussion. :-) Welcome and hope your project is moving along at a faster pace than mine. :)
Which SW gray is that on your walls? It looks great!
3 Likes   October 5, 2013 at 10:31AM
tracyctus
@mforr I like your rug suggestions... Do you think I can leverage the similar color in my room too? My oak natural hard wood floor gave me some limitations and trying to turn the tone down since I don't like my room to be modern. I prefer more transitional style... What should I do? Thanks!
1 Like   October 5, 2013 at 10:36AM
lilchik
Here's my new chandelier and the mirrors I'm planning to put up behind the lamps. One small fiber in me tells me that is might be too "mirrory".......what do you all think?
3 Likes   October 5, 2013 at 10:36AM
tracyctus
Thanks @lilchik :) For SW grey, I would have to go back to check since I lost my memory at the moment but I am in a trip.:( I'll get back to you early next week. I even called SW to check my purchase record, unfortunately...no luck:( I thought it's intelligent grey but need to confirm. My project has lasted for months and hope I can close it by thanksgiving...talk more later.:)
2 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    October 5, 2013 at 10:49AM
carolins
That depends on what you like ;-) I like it. Don't think it is too mirrory, but it adds a bit of glamour, luxury. Nice....
And the lamps will be partly in front of them, so that tones them down. And I'm not thát big a fan of mirrors. But above a nightstand in a bedroom.... yeah... I like!

2 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    October 5, 2013 at 10:50AM
mefor
I think that carolins is right , part of it is going to be behind lamp, and there's nothing wrong with a bit of bling, I think they'll be fine. Love the chandelier, how are the shadows? Are there any? How's hubby doing with the bathroom mirrors? :)
2 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    October 5, 2013 at 11:13AM
mefor
Yes, tracyctus, the gray will calm down the tones in flooring. So will a grey blue. :)
1 Like   October 5, 2013 at 11:15AM
mefor
Also think you'll like it better when you get new lampshades :)
1 Like   October 5, 2013 at 11:23AM
lilchik
Ok ladies, you've convinced me to give it a try. :-)
There are barely any shadows from the chandelier, don't know why.....not that I'm saddened about it, not at all. ;)
My hubby is playing lazy after vacation and not very eager to do anything except go fishing, that's what he's up to today but I'll try my best convincing tactics on him tonight to make sure those bathroom mirrors are finally going up.
1 Like   October 5, 2013 at 11:27AM
lilchik
I do think so too Michele, but I haven't had a chance to run out and look at lampshades just yet.
1 Like   October 5, 2013 at 11:28AM
lilchik
One of the bathroom mirrors got installed over the weekend. Here it is along with "before" photo, for comparison. :)
4 Likes   October 7, 2013 at 11:37AM
mefor
I love the way they look, nicely done. :)
Do you two love how it's all coming together?
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    October 7, 2013 at 11:41AM
carolins
Oh I like it! It looks more modern and brighter, because you've lost the heavy frame. Shame that it can't be centered on the basin though....
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    October 7, 2013 at 11:42AM
lilchik
Thanks Michele! Yes, we LOVE IT! Very exciting for us to see our room evolve! :-)
2 Likes   October 7, 2013 at 11:42AM
lilchik
I was bothered by that too Carolins but yeah, too bad it can't be centered......
1 Like   October 7, 2013 at 11:43AM
carolins
Glad you both like the changes you're making. Like you're in a whole new home :-)
2 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    October 7, 2013 at 11:45AM
mefor
It might not look that obvious to you if you put something between the sinks, kind of against the wall, that's a bit taller. Maybe a large candlestick, or group of three of them , varying heights, or a sculpture, like a bronze colored heron or something like that. Something in the bronze finish to go with the other finishes
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    October 7, 2013 at 11:57AM
carolins
That could work...
1 Like   October 7, 2013 at 12:11PM
lilchik
Great idea Michele! I'll be on the lookout. Thanks.
1 Like   October 7, 2013 at 12:13PM
mefor
Here's an example that might be really nice, I love that it's a pair of herons
http://www.amazon.com/Innova-Hearth-and-Home-Statue/dp/B007YQTVI0/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    October 7, 2013 at 12:52PM
mefor
Close up
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    October 7, 2013 at 12:53PM
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    October 7, 2013 at 1:12PM
carolins
Really, I was thinking that lanterns would be nice perhaps and of course mforr posted them :-D haha
Wouldn't it be nice to relax in your bath... candles in the lanterns...
2 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    October 8, 2013 at 12:06AM
mefor
Good morning lilchik, just a quick check in, wondering if anything exciting has happened in room. Perhaps you two are just enjoying it for a while after the angst of paint selection, lol. Anyway, hope you're well and I'll check back again. :)
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    October 15, 2013 at 1:59AM
lilchik
Good morning Michele! Thanks for checking in on me. Yeah, I guess I've downshifted a bit, although I'm continuing my search. The things I'm currently on the lookout for are pillows, rug and lampshades. Nothing new to report yet, hoping my husband is back in town before weekend so that we can finally get the curtains and mirrors up.
I've been thinking lately how I'd hang the curtains....my ceiling is angled on one side, the height being just 8ft above the small window in the corner and 9ft and higher over the large window. Obviously I'll go as high as possible over the smaller window but should I then keep the same height for the larger window or go as high as possible too?? don't want it to look out of balance on one hand, and don't want to hang that low either.
1 Like   October 15, 2013 at 11:27AM
mefor
I would match them to each other, it may not be exactly as high as you want, but I think a mismatched height would drive you bonkers!!! Just keep them even and your eye will be happy :)
Good luck with everything for the weekend, fingers crossed and I'll check back again :)x
3 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    October 15, 2013 at 11:31AM
lilchik
Makes sense..........sigh :-)
2 Likes   October 15, 2013 at 11:33AM
carolins
Agree with mforr. I think we've talked about the curtain height before? Hang them at the same height, ignore the angled ceiling :-)
2 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    October 15, 2013 at 11:50AM
lilchik
we did talk about it before, you're right Carolins. :-)
2 Likes   October 15, 2013 at 11:52AM
mefor
I know, it stinks, but when the room is completely finished, you won't care at all, you'll love it :D
2 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    October 15, 2013 at 12:00PM
carolins
Yeah, I thought I remembered something, but was too lazy to scroll up ;-)
2 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    October 15, 2013 at 12:29PM
lilchik
Here are some rugs I've been looking at.
0 Likes   October 15, 2013 at 4:23PM
lilchik
more
1 Like   October 15, 2013 at 4:23PM
Ann
lilchik - I like these two rugs from your group. I added a picture of your room so I could see them next to each other.
2 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    October 15, 2013 at 4:38PM
lilchik
Thanks Ann! Here's another photo of the room with nightstands. The very last rug I posted is printed jute rug by the way. :-) I like it too but I think it has too much beige/yellow in it.
0 Likes   October 15, 2013 at 4:45PM
mefor
I'm going to go with Ann on this, love these with your room. :)
I also love the first, but I think it's too casual for the space.
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    October 15, 2013 at 4:47PM
mefor
If you're not sure about that one, see if you can find something similar without too much yellow
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    October 15, 2013 at 4:49PM
Ann
I simply love that printed jute rug but I think you're right. The other one of the two I just re-posted is really great!
lilchik
ohhh I love this one, although it's probably more appropriate for a living room or family room (I have those rooms in mind too for the near future, hopefully).
3 Likes   October 15, 2013 at 5:34PM
tracyctus
@lilchik, congratulations on your new room. I love it... Btw, I forgot getting back to you on the SW paint color. The gray I have is "gray clouds" :)
1 Like   October 16, 2013 at 1:59AM
kmmord
lilchik- Can you post the information on the nightstands you ended up purchasing? They are beautiful!
1 Like   October 16, 2013 at 8:27AM
lilchik
tracyctus - isn't that funny? SW Gray Clouds was one of the samples I tried on my wall, you may check it out in the earlier posts, waaaay back. :) It looks great in your room, much better than it did in mine.
kmmord - I would be glad to post the info on the nightstands but I don't have it handy right now. I bought them at a local furniture store. What I do know is that these are by Samuel Lawrence, although I searched online prior to purchasing them and was unable to find them anywhere. However, there's lots of furniture by Samuel Lawrence being sold online. I'll take a look at a box I have at home and see if there's any more useful info on it.
3 Likes   October 16, 2013 at 11:25AM
tracyctus
lilchick, that's so funny and I didn't realize it:) I like the gray in your room too and it's all about choosing the right gray for the right room:) btw, how long have you worked on this room transformation? I just can't wait to make my room completed but it seems taking forever...
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    October 16, 2013 at 9:44PM
lilchik
tracyctus, paint selection is very time consuming, at least in my case, but there's definitely no wright/wrong color, whatever works for the space, exactly! I've been working on my room since I started this discussion back in July - over 3 months already.....i know it seems like it's taking forever but we don't do this full-time right so that's ok. Good luck to you with your room too!
2 Likes   October 17, 2013 at 1:00PM
lilchik
More rugs........your opinions are welcome!
1 Like   October 17, 2013 at 1:02PM
mefor
I like the dark gray one, a lot!!!
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    October 17, 2013 at 1:06PM
mefor
Do you like either of these?
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    October 17, 2013 at 1:12PM
lilchik
I like the one on the right. :) I agree with you on the dark gray one above, I think it's deep enough to provide nice contrast from all the soft grays I've got in the room.
1 Like   October 17, 2013 at 2:37PM
Ann
Let's look side by side. I think the dark gray one is nice too.
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    October 17, 2013 at 4:06PM
Ann
I like both of those.
lilchik
How about the size? the one i've got now is 5x8. i don't want rug under the bed. I guess if my room was quite a bit larger, I'd get a big one and place it 1/4 under the bed.
1 Like   October 17, 2013 at 6:00PM
Ann
I'm not good with rug sizes. Most of the rugs in my house are too small, but I'm keeping them anyway.
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    October 17, 2013 at 7:53PM
carolins
I do like the dark grey rug. The teal one I like too, mostly because it ties in with the lamps. Seems to be the exact same colour. And I do like the white shag from the first batch of rugs. A good neutral.

Why don't you want the bed on the rug?
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    October 18, 2013 at 3:58AM
mefor
Hi carolins, I was going to ask the same thing :)
If you can afford a larger rug, it's much nicer to have it under bed, with a nice wide border around the bed, like in the "bedroom" and the "globus" examples above.
I like both of the rugs, BTW the teal s from home decorators site, but the dark gray is very sophisticated and it will allow you to use more teal in the accessories instead. Plus, if you decide you'd like to change the room a little down the line, you'd only have to change a few accessories, and the rug could stay. That way it's an inexpensive update. Have to think ahead :).
1 Like   October 18, 2013 at 4:24AM
Ann
After reading Michele's comment just above, I do think the dark gray is a better choice. Especially if you buy a big rug, it's a pretty big investment, so best to allow for any future changes you might incorporate.
2 Likes   October 18, 2013 at 8:11AM
mefor
Isn't it terrible that you're not even done yet, and I'm talking about redecorating? Don't worry, I'm thinking at least 10 years ahead. Don't tell your husband, he will ban me from your discussion. Even though I am trying to save him some money, lol :D
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    October 18, 2013 at 8:37AM
lilchik
Ladies, I looooove how the rugs look tucked in under the bed but my room is on the smaller side and I don't have a lot of "leg room" from the foot of the bed to the wall. My plan is to look for some sort of a dresser/chest to go there in the near future and once the dresser is in, there's going to be approx. 2ft wide space left between the bed and the dresser. The other reason is I don't want a dust collector under the bed, I'd assume it's not too comfortable vacuuming the rug under the bed. So it's looks vs practicality for me. Maybe I'm being too practical here? lol
I simply must agree with you ladies that getting a rug in neutral color is a much wiser investment! Don't worry Michele, you're not in danger of being banned, my husband doesn't read these posts, I'll get in trouble before you do if he ever reads this. LOL :-) In fact, I'm not 100% committed to teal as an accent either. :-)
Ohhh, now i'm seriously hoping he's not reading this, JJ
2 Likes   October 18, 2013 at 12:07PM
Rodella Douglas
mforr and lilchik - could I please take you ladies back to early September, when the paint color decision was made? Lilchik - do you know which 'row' of color on the color card you chose - as in intensity of color, and mforr are you able to match metro gray to a General Paint color? After all the effort that went into the choice, I'd sure like to take advantage of it. I redid my guest bedroom last winter and the gray looks like pale blue.
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    October 21, 2013 at 8:16PM
mefor
Rodella, the closest General Paint color to benjamin Moore metro gray is
Silver Lining CL 3171 W
:)
0 Likes   October 22, 2013 at 2:55AM
lilchik
Rodella, I'm so sorry I didn't reply earlier, been busy this week at work. Unfortunately I don't remember exactly where on the color card Metro Gray was, I think it was either second or third from the top.
Look at these pillow covers ladies, don't you think these would work?
By the way, I missed out on ordering the dark gray/white rug at 65% sale, so I'm waiting for the next one. :-)
2 Likes   October 24, 2013 at 11:43AM
mefor
I like the first and the fourth :)
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    October 24, 2013 at 11:52AM
mefor
How are you?
0 Likes   October 24, 2013 at 11:52AM
lilchik
The fourth one is my favorite too! :-)
I'm doing well Michele, thanks for asking. Taking a little break from the bedroom redo, been very busy at work last couple weeks after my vacation, it should slow down a bit next month and I'll be back with more energy to continue hopefully. Believe it or not, we didn't get to hang the second mirror in the bathroom yet.....i know, it's a shame. :-( We have plenty of excuses though but I won't go there or else I'll laugh at myself. :-)
How have you been?
1 Like   October 24, 2013 at 11:58AM
carolins
First and third for me. Sorry you missed the rug.
Oh... I understand about the mirror. My husband is a DIY-er and sometimes things just don't get done because other things seem more important. Which is why we don't have baseboards yet. It's only been 6 years. Or 7..... :-D
2 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    October 24, 2013 at 12:05PM
mefor
Things always speed up and slow down with decorating projects, real life always gets in the way, sometimes in a good way, not always bad. We have tons of projects that need doing, including some baseboard that is only half done in one room, hahaha, for about three years. See, it's universal!!! :)
2 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    October 24, 2013 at 12:12PM
Rodella Douglas
mforr & lilchik - Thank you both for the answers to my color questions - I was able to find just the right one in General Paint, next to Silver Lining - we've just been through the mill on water damage repairs, and Silver Lining would have been the most appropriate name - it'll be all nice and new and clean :) I just might call it that anyway - Silver Lining II.
2 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    October 24, 2013 at 2:00PM
mefor
Glad it was some help, good luck!!!! :)
0 Likes   October 24, 2013 at 2:02PM
lilchik
Helloooo!
I'm back with a small update. We hung the two mirrors above nightstands and the second bathroom mirror is up as well. Not much but a progress nevertheless, considering our snail's pace at this time. :-)
3 Likes   November 5, 2013 at 4:55PM
mefor
Lilchik!!! I love it, the mirrors are great in the bedroom, the room looks very updated and serene. What a huge difference, you guys must be thrilled :)
Loving the mirrors too, nice to not have to share :) still thinking of something to put in between them, sitting on counter, with some height?
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    November 5, 2013 at 5:03PM
lilchik
Thanks Michele! We are thrilled with how everything is coming together but we're not as thrilled with the speed of things of course, lol. It ok though, sooner or later we'll get this thing done.
Yeah, I'm still considering what to put between the two mirrors in the bathroom....maybe a few tall glass vases of varying height filled with something colorful/interesting or a white ceramic vase with some sort of sticks or something.
3 Likes   November 5, 2013 at 5:12PM
carolins
Love the mirrors in both rooms :-)
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    November 6, 2013 at 12:47AM
carolins
picked a couple of inspirational pics (hopefully) from the PB site
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    November 6, 2013 at 12:58AM
lilchik
Thanks Carolins for the inspirational pics! These are great examples of what I could possibly do.
3 Likes   November 6, 2013 at 10:24AM
carolins
And in the process of looking for these pics I've found an idea for something in my own bathroom too. Sometimes you just need to see something to spark an idea ;-)
3 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    November 6, 2013 at 10:36AM
carolins
Just came across this picture, thought of your bathroom. It's from Westelm

2 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    November 10, 2013 at 1:51PM
lilchik
Please join in on the new discussion I've started about my family room. This is not meant to stop this discussion, not at all. I will be updating this thread as I go but as you can probably tell I've been reeeeal slow in getting things moving further in my bedroom. Here's the new discussion. http://www.houzz.com/discussions/753986/m=WW91ciBwb3N0IHdhcyBzdWNjZXNzZnVsbHkgYWRkZWQgdG8gdGhlIERpc2N1c3Npb25zIHNlY3Rpb24u/Updating-my-family-room--need-ideas
1 Like   November 30, 2013 at 5:58PM
lilchik
The curtains are finally up! yey :-))
I need to inject more color and pattern into this room, still working on that. The dilemma now is whether to use rug for color and throw pillows for color/pattern or vice versa.
3 Likes   December 1, 2013 at 3:18PM
mefor
Smart money is on a neutral rug and color in the throws and accessories or art, the rug is more expensive to replace if you want a change of pace later on. I'd rather buy new pillow covers. Not that I want you to think about changing things for a good long time, lol :)
2 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    December 1, 2013 at 3:25PM
mefor
The drapes look great :)
How does hubby like the changes?
2 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    December 1, 2013 at 3:26PM
lilchik
Thanks mforr, I agree, will keep looking. My hubby is not very verbal about all this but I can definitely tell he likes it! :-)
3 Likes   December 1, 2013 at 3:38PM
carolins
What a change! The curtains instantly bring so much softness to your bedroom. Lovely. And the glamourous chandelier. So pretty. You could just go for a white shag rug?
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    December 2, 2013 at 1:25AM
carolins
And different lamps. Lose the teal and keep it all grey, white, silver?
2 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    December 2, 2013 at 1:26AM
Ann
I have to agree that the lamps aren't great in the room. I think lamps with crisp white shades would be nice. No teal and a bit bigger on those large nightstands. I think I'd move great lamps as a higher priority than a rug. Unless you feel you need something soft on the floor, a rug isn't absolutely necessary. I think everything in the room except the lamps is really great. Nice job!
2 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    December 2, 2013 at 8:28AM
Ann
Oh, and I like carolins idea of grey, white and silver. I'm not sure I'd mess with success by injecting color.
2 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    December 2, 2013 at 8:32AM
lilchik
I have fallen behind a bit on this thread with my new FR dilemma. :-) You really think I should loose the teal lamps? You mean the shape, the size or the color of the lamp is not right? Oh, and I just wanted to brag about the new pillow I got. :-( i don't think it works exactly but I loooved that color. it appears blue on the pic, while it's a pretty deep aqua in life.
2 Likes   December 3, 2013 at 4:42PM
Alicia Hamada-Benavidez
Sa
1 Like   December 3, 2013 at 4:49PM
mefor
I like them, but I like some color. Carolins is much more pared down in color than I am. I think that having the large pieces in the neutrals and having the teal to inject a bit of life is fine. Unless you are going for a sort of zen, serene space. Then the colors should all be rather subdued. It's really what makes you happy. I like the pillow too. :)
1 Like   December 3, 2013 at 4:57PM
Ann
I'm not sure serene was the original intent, but if the lamps and new pillow are removed, the bedroom is incredibly serene - just beautiful in my opinion. I think the lamps are too small, especially on those large nightstands, but lamp size is one of my pet peeves:) I think new larger lamps in a neutral color with white shades would look great. The current lamps are too informal for the rest of the stuff, especially with the color of the lamp shades. This all sounds very critical, but I actually love everything about the room except the lamps. You did a fantastic job in that room.
2 Likes   December 3, 2013 at 5:11PM
lilchik
The lamp in that pic above appears veeery small, because of the angle I guess. Those lamps are quite big, although the size of the chests makes them appear much smaller. I was looking for white drum shades for a while but I've grown to like these, I think they add some interest.
2 Likes   December 3, 2013 at 5:25PM
Ann
Well that's what's important. I've got lots of things in my house that some Houzzers have suggested I get rid of but I just love them:)
4 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    December 3, 2013 at 5:29PM
carolins
If it were my bedroom, I'd try to find other bedside lamps, but since it is your bedroom... :-) And if you like the lamps, by all means you should keep them. You want your personality in the room, not that of a bunch of other people :-)
3 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    December 4, 2013 at 3:02AM
mefor
She already has all of us in the bedroom and family room, it's getting a little crowded, hope that won't get in the way of her cooking us a nice breakfast :)
3 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    December 4, 2013 at 3:17AM
lilchik
You all are a cool, funny bunch! That's what I love about this houzz community.
mforr, don't worry, I can cook a virtual breakfast for all of you without any problems whatsoever! Welcome! ;-)
2 Likes   December 4, 2013 at 9:22AM
carolins
I'm sure we will virtually enjoy it :-)
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    December 4, 2013 at 10:00AM
mefor
Breakfast was delicious. I'll have to make a meal for you guys soon :)
Lilchik, did you already order the rug for family room?
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    December 4, 2013 at 11:57AM
lilchik
I did, in a 6x9 ft size.
2 Likes   December 4, 2013 at 12:14PM
lilchik
My sister stumbled upon these beautiful lamps today and sent me a pic. Think these would look good in the bedroom in place of the teal ones? I could probably use the teal ones in the LR for now.
2 Likes   December 9, 2013 at 10:17PM
tracyctus
This one looks so much like the one I posted yesterday, What a coincidence! I am debating if I should get it too.
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    December 9, 2013 at 11:14PM
carolins
If they are the right height (about the same as you have now) and if they are returnable, you could certainly give it a try. They will add a touch of glamour to your night stands. Will tie in lovely with your chandelier.
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    December 10, 2013 at 1:15AM
Ann
I think those lamps are beautiful! How tall are they? It would be great if they are a bit bigger than the turquoise lamps.
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    December 10, 2013 at 6:23AM
jen046
Those would look great! Very boudoir!
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    December 10, 2013 at 7:53AM
lilchik
I got those lamps to try and see how they'd look. Better than the teal lamps? Sorry about the photo quality, taken at night.
3 Likes   December 11, 2013 at 1:00AM
carolins
Hmm... I think they may be too tall for comfort. But I do like the glamourous touch they add. Definitely prefer them to the teal with beige shade ones.
2 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    December 11, 2013 at 1:04AM
Ann
I like them! Another bedside lamp height "rule" I've read is when you are sitting up in bed, the bottom of the lampshade should come to the top of your shoulder. Maybe try that? How do you like them lilchik?
0 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    December 11, 2013 at 6:28AM
lilchik
I don't know.......I'm definitely not crazy about these lamps. They are too tall in my opinion and the crystal base paired with mirrored nightstands and a mirror above is too much I think. Maybe they'll work out better in the LR.
1 Like   December 11, 2013 at 9:31AM
carolins
Do these shades fit on your teal bases? Just to see how that will look in your bedroom :-)
1 Like   Thanked by lilchik    December 11, 2013 at 9:37AM
carolins
If you don't love the lamps, can you return them? If you're going to return them, be careful with the shade-swap if you want to try that.
2 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    December 11, 2013 at 9:37AM
lilchik
The lamps are returnable and I have yet to try the shades on my teal lamps. I transported them without the shades on, so it's not a problem to remove them.
3 Likes   December 11, 2013 at 9:50AM
carolins
I say go for it! :-)
2 Likes   December 11, 2013 at 10:01AM
Ann
Hi lilchik - did you make any lamp decisions yet? This picture was on my screen when I entered Houzz this morning and the lamp was labeled (with dimensions). I also knew about these lamps because I had seen and liked them in many Houzz pictures and ordered the slightly smaller version for my bedroom. Just for your info, these lamps are 32.75" tall and the base of the shade is 20" in diameter. My slightly smaller version of this lamp is 31" tall. I think the ones you recently tried looked especially tall because of the slender base. Anyway, just wanted to post this as you think about the bedside lamp size that you like the best. I think these look very nice but, to others, they might look huge.
]
3 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    December 13, 2013 at 8:56AM
lilchik
Hi Ann, I haven't made any lamp decisions yet. The ones I recently bought aren't working out because like you mentioned the bases are slender and makes the lamps look too tall, although they're only a few inches taller than the teal lamps. The teal lamps however look more "grounded" so to say.
I like the lamps in the photo you posted, by the way.
Here's a photo for comparison.
2 Likes   December 13, 2013 at 11:51AM
carolins
Yep, that's it, the base of th teal ones is a better shape. How do you like the white shade on the teal base?
2 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    December 13, 2013 at 11:59AM
lilchik
Hi Carolins,
I do like the white shade better, I just hope to find a nice perfect drum shade, without the shade getting narrower at the top. :-)
2 Likes   December 13, 2013 at 12:03PM
carolins
Good plan. It does look crisper and fits in better with the colours in your room.
2 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    December 13, 2013 at 12:09PM
Ann
I agree the chunkier base makes the lamp look more grounded. I wonder if you could look for a slightly larger shade when you look for the drum shade and/or maybe elevate the lamps slightly on a book or something. Just to make them appear just a bit larger, although they aren't bad. I think they work so much better in the room with white shades.
3 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    December 13, 2013 at 12:12PM
carolins
Pottery Barn has shades like that.
2 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    December 13, 2013 at 12:22PM
lilchik
Finally got white shades for the lamps. :-)
3 Likes   January 18, 2014 at 11:04AM
mefor
Looking great, lilchik. How do you guys like them?
3 Likes   Thanked by lilchik    January 18, 2014 at 11:19AM
lilchik
We love them! Even my hubby does! :-)
3 Likes   January 18, 2014 at 11:20AM
carolins
Hooray! Perfect!
2 Likes   January 18, 2014 at 12:31PM
Ann
Those look just great with those white shades!!!!
2 Likes   January 18, 2014 at 12:45PM
Please help me make some final kitchen decisions
My new kitchen has white gloss cabinets, cambria charston...
hly2002
Please help me make a decision
I am renovating my 13 x 24 den in contemporary styling...
bubkus
i need really sophisticated software to help me make decisions
3 months ago i bought a great house with a spectacular...
moonroxx
Help me Making decision between PVC or MDF cupboards
What would be the best material for kitchen cupboards...
Chantal Nielsen
Bathroom fitter is here NOW. Help me make a decision!!!
Guest Bathroom is being done today. The room is quite...
shelleyuk
1950 bathroom
Should I change tub from aqua to white or tile from...
wedding831
Need help with courtyard
We have a newly constructed brick wall next door. We...
imray
How to refinish my French provincial bedroom set.
Hi, I just found this website and I LOVE it. Anyway...
Katie Varga
Help! Kitchen Layout ... New build
Hi! We are building a new home and are not sold on...
Brenna Pearce
Sauce Eggplant Chandelier Challenge.
I have made a deal with the devil. Well, not the devil...
toatsmcgoats