Need help: Replacement Light Fixtures DR and Foyer
madtowncpd
I am looking to replace outdated Dining Room and Foyer brass chandeliers and welcome ideas! This is a transitional home. The two rooms are adjacent to each. I want appropriately sized fixtures that will work well for resale and prefer a moderate price range. The dining room is 12'X13' and the ceilings are 11'. Any ideas?
Celeste Interior Design
Hello, I would say between 20 to 28 inches in Diameter , the hight looks okay. Too often people have the fixture too high. If there is any metal showing on doors, fireplace then maybe a chain from ceiling to fixture. I would put some picture on that blank wall even more than one it looks too cold. Plants too with some colour. What about some sheer curtains - keep them light and tied to the side - use iron or other metal tie back and curtain rail. it needs to show some life as people will imagine them living there too
July 7, 2013 at 4:24pm      Thanked by madtowncpd
madtowncpd
Thanks for the input. The dining fixture size recommendation is especially helpful. Agree with the décor...we'll decorate after selecting light fixtures.
July 7, 2013 at 5:47pm   
Celeste Interior Design
madtowncpd I shall be doing a series of articles starting on Wednesday about doing your place up on a budget - maybe you might find something useful for yourself. If you go to celesteinteriordesign.co.uk then click the blog link it will be in there. I am also considering doing an article on 'home staging' too i.e what to do if you want to sell your home.
July 8, 2013 at 3:15am   
Philips Lighting US
Thomas Lighting, a Philips group brand, has many fixtures in matching collections. This allows cohesion with an open floor plan.

www.thomaslighting.com
July 8, 2013 at 10:45am   
carolins
An ideabook for you about choosing the right size light for your dining room (follow the link under the picture):

I'd say around 28", but you also need to take the dining table into consideration. You don't want your light to be wider than the table (your table seems wide enough though).
July 8, 2013 at 10:54am      Thanked by madtowncpd
July 8, 2013 at 11:25am        Thanked by madtowncpd
madtowncpd
Thanks for the great input! I've taken the suggestions and landed on this Murray Feiss chandelier (mocha bronze) for the dining room. NOW: Any suggestions for a fixture for the adjacent foyer? The room is ~8'X10' with 11 foot ceilings?? I thought the smaller version of the dining fixture might be too 'matchy matchy'.
August 10, 2013 at 12:00pm     
Celeste Interior Design
Nothing wronf with matching has it will tie both rooms together, but it depends on what else you have in the foyer. How about the same but not mocha bronze?, or the same but without the crystals (if they are )? Maybe keep the same size, When there is a small room a large piece can lok very nice indeed. I am doing somethin similar to someones small hall way next week.
August 10, 2013 at 12:06pm   
carolins
I feel that if you go for the same chandelier in the entry, you'll lose the 'wow' factor of the chandelier in the dining room. You've chosen a beauty.
August 10, 2013 at 12:13pm   
Go dark lantern type in foyer tall 24" hang to be seen in window. In dining area, same color but could go a sphere, 24" with candle lites. Ck on line. Overstock has some nice ones. Also go on Restoration Hardware to see lights I'm talking about. They are beautiful but very pricey. Can find knock offs.
August 10, 2013 at 12:14pm   
Celeste Interior Design
... 'WOW' there is another one :)
August 10, 2013 at 12:15pm     
carolins
Just looked up the collection. Were you thinking about the 4 light chandy? Because that looks sufficiently different (I think) to not be too matchy-matchy.

Hmm... how about (something like) this? Also mocha bronze, but very different http://www.feiss.com/21443/Uplight-Chandelier-F26073MBZ.html

If you go to the feiss site and type in the search box mocha bronze, coincidentally they pop up next to each other: http://www.feiss.com/products/SiteCatalog.cfm
August 10, 2013 at 12:27pm   
The one you picked very formal with the crystals. Is that the look you were going for? If so foyer should also be formal. Doesn't have to have crystals . Did you say you might be selling?
August 10, 2013 at 1:18pm   
I like Carolyn's pottery barn look too.
August 10, 2013 at 1:19pm   
madtowncpd
Yes, I was going for taking the Pottery Barn casual look to something a little more elegant . The complementary foyer fixture is what has me stumped. I agree with Carolins that a similar chandelier in the foyer might detract from the dining room chandelier. We decided we're not crazy about bowl shaped upright pendants. Do you think any of these fixtures would be good? Any other suggestions? Thanks!
August 11, 2013 at 11:14am   
carolins
Top right and bottom left I like.
And I agree with you on the upside down bowl pendants. Don't particularly like them either, but lots of people do, so I thought I'd suggest it to you ;-)
August 11, 2013 at 11:18am   
Dining room/Foyer light fixture coordination... need help selecting!
Based on a design dilemma recommendation that I posted...
Need help placing light fixture in foyer
We added a foyer to our home. From the exterior, the...
need help selecting light fixtures for front porch, foyer, and dining
Want help selecting light fixtures for home based on...
Need help identifying a lighting fixture for replacement shades
The shades have a diameter of 5 inches and the height...
Trim on window and doors
We are doing a small Reno and are curious as to what...
Entry Way Help Needed
Trying to get new ideas for the entryway. The left...
Painting sun porch
Currently sun porch is Spanish red with white trim....
ceiling medallions for light fixture-Yes or no
Just wondering if I should use a small ceiling medallion...
Living room furniture, rug and colors?!
I'm trying to work out what to do in this room. The...