Need help picking new counter tops for kitchen.
mksnow
July 7, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Ours is a 1925 bungalow. Kitchen was remodeled in late 90s. Want to update with new sink and countertops. The backsplash was handmade with a Helen Foster stencil design. Same shape is repeated in living room as fireplace tile, so I don't want to remove it. I am concerned that going the "granite" won't work well with it. I love cobalt blue, but plan to downsize in next 4-5 years, so resale consideration in terms of counter color. Thanks for any suggestions.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Adrianne
Lots of craftsman and art deco styles used emerald green.. Green has gained a lot of popularity lately have you given that any thoughts?
Try maybe Emerald Green marble:
"green" remodel
Or Bamboo
Rainforest Green Granite;
Truitt Kitchen
Or Verde Bamboo Granite:
Tropical bathroom
July 7, 2013 at 7:58pm     
Adrianne
You would want to do a 2cm.. So It won't cover so much of your tile... depending on how big of the top rail is over you base cabinets you could do a mitered edge that drops down over the front of your cabinet.
July 7, 2013 at 8:02pm     
mksnow
I love the emerald green suggestion. Another favorite color. Have been buying clothing and jewelry, but didn't think of it for kitchen! Thanks so very much!
July 7, 2013 at 8:07pm   
mksnow
What do you think of going with a copper sink for a bit of drama? I love how it looks with both green and cobalt.
July 7, 2013 at 8:17pm     
Adrianne
copper and green... crazy gorgeous!!
July 7, 2013 at 8:19pm     
Adrianne
I secretly love... Green and champagne bronze. But for craftsman.. Copper all the way..
July 7, 2013 at 8:20pm     
PRO
Amy Wax
I dont see any green in your decorative tile. I would rather go with a neutral counter top, a Silestone off white or something that does not make a strong color statement. That way your beautiful tiles will stand out as accent pieces and look their best. A green counter top will definitely limit you if resale is on your horizon.
July 7, 2013 at 8:24pm     
PRO
Amy Wax
I might add that I have seen the green and love it.. but as someone who does a lot of work with realtors and staging homes for resale, I always struggle with should you do what will make you happy.. vs. if resale is a reality.. try to avoid expensive choices that you will regret later on. I would go with the off white neutral top.
July 7, 2013 at 8:28pm     
brickln
What about soapstone? Sturdy and timeless.
July 13, 2013 at 5:14pm     
PRO
Custom Dwellings
I second the soapstone. Or a quartz in a medium gray tone. If resale wasn't a concern I'd say go with a green or blue quartz. I would stat away from any material with excessive movement/veining as it would compete with the tile.
July 13, 2013 at 8:45pm   
Margo
I like to think different?

July 13, 2013 at 8:53pm     
pattiegoode
Love that you are keeping the original tiles! I like the blue that you have now. Is it formica? Is that an island or a free standing table? Can't tell. I like the idea of a solid surface in white or another neutral. Maybe keep the blue on the island or do wood there. A new sink alone will go a long way to update the look & copper sounds awesome, but I'm not sure about that in the resale appeal.
July 13, 2013 at 9:05pm     
brickln
Or bluestone.
July 14, 2013 at 2:43am