Need help picking new counter tops for kitchen.
mksnow
Ours is a 1925 bungalow. Kitchen was remodeled in late 90s. Want to update with new sink and countertops. The backsplash was handmade with a Helen Foster stencil design. Same shape is repeated in living room as fireplace tile, so I don't want to remove it. I am concerned that going the "granite" won't work well with it. I love cobalt blue, but plan to downsize in next 4-5 years, so resale consideration in terms of counter color. Thanks for any suggestions.
Adrianne
Lots of craftsman and art deco styles used emerald green.. Green has gained a lot of popularity lately have you given that any thoughts?
Try maybe Emerald Green marble:
"green" remodel
Or Bamboo
Rainforest Green Granite;
Truitt Kitchen
Or Verde Bamboo Granite:
Tropical bathroom
July 7, 2013 at 7:58pm     
Adrianne
You would want to do a 2cm.. So It won't cover so much of your tile... depending on how big of the top rail is over you base cabinets you could do a mitered edge that drops down over the front of your cabinet.
July 7, 2013 at 8:02pm     
mksnow
I love the emerald green suggestion. Another favorite color. Have been buying clothing and jewelry, but didn't think of it for kitchen! Thanks so very much!
July 7, 2013 at 8:07pm   
mksnow
What do you think of going with a copper sink for a bit of drama? I love how it looks with both green and cobalt.
July 7, 2013 at 8:17pm     
Adrianne
copper and green... crazy gorgeous!!
July 7, 2013 at 8:19pm     
Adrianne
I secretly love... Green and champagne bronze. But for craftsman.. Copper all the way..
July 7, 2013 at 8:20pm     
Amy Wax
I dont see any green in your decorative tile. I would rather go with a neutral counter top, a Silestone off white or something that does not make a strong color statement. That way your beautiful tiles will stand out as accent pieces and look their best. A green counter top will definitely limit you if resale is on your horizon.
July 7, 2013 at 8:24pm     
Amy Wax
I might add that I have seen the green and love it.. but as someone who does a lot of work with realtors and staging homes for resale, I always struggle with should you do what will make you happy.. vs. if resale is a reality.. try to avoid expensive choices that you will regret later on. I would go with the off white neutral top.
July 7, 2013 at 8:28pm     
brickln
What about soapstone? Sturdy and timeless.
July 13, 2013 at 5:14pm     
Custom Dwellings
I second the soapstone. Or a quartz in a medium gray tone. If resale wasn't a concern I'd say go with a green or blue quartz. I would stat away from any material with excessive movement/veining as it would compete with the tile.
July 13, 2013 at 8:45pm   
I like to think different?

July 13, 2013 at 8:53pm     
pattiegoode
Love that you are keeping the original tiles! I like the blue that you have now. Is it formica? Is that an island or a free standing table? Can't tell. I like the idea of a solid surface in white or another neutral. Maybe keep the blue on the island or do wood there. A new sink alone will go a long way to update the look & copper sounds awesome, but I'm not sure about that in the resale appeal.
July 13, 2013 at 9:05pm     
brickln
Or bluestone.
July 14, 2013 at 2:43am     
need help picking out new kitchen counter tops - ?Granite? Quartz?
We have white tile floor, white cabinets, white appliances,...
need help picking a kitchen counter top and backsplash
We are remodeling our kitchen with natural hickory...
"need help picking out counter top for kitchen"
Natural oak cabinets with white appliances - looking...
Stone backsplash
I recently installed stone backsplash inu kitchen....
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
Okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
To paint the woodwork or not?
Dear Houzzers, I'm stumped & need your design experience....
How many vanity lights
Is there a :rule of thumb" for how many lights in a...