Living Room Renovation
lesmiles4
Hi everyone! This is my first time on here. My husband and I are moving into a small, quaint little home that needs some renovation. The home has solid oak wood floors underneath the carpet that have never been used. So excited! I want to stain them a little darker as I don't like the yellow tint in the color now. I love Sherwin Williams' mindful gray paint color for the walls but fear I may be going too boring and generic. Any ideas for this room? Hoping for a rustic, cozy feel, with light grays, dark browns, white, etc. but would love some color that pops.
lesmiles4
Here are more photos!
July 7, 2013 at 8:38pm   
2taniya
My first thought was to use some colors from your sofa - assuming that is your furniture - and then I saw your dark red/burgandy chair. That might be your second color after the gray walls - perhaps you could do an area rug in that hue or some pillows on the sofa or some candles on the side table in that red color. Or a red centerpiece or candles on the dining table. Sorry - I can't see what is on there now. Then perhaps some green as that also appears to be in the sofa. Scrolled black iron designs to hang on the walls should help with the rustic feel but will also be modern and airy/open. You can always put some sheer or solid drapes on the edge of the window - they don't have to close - or you can scarf the window to add a swath of color. Your fireplace mantel will also be someplace that attracts the eye so you want to add your color scheme there and perhaps a picture or sculptures or a mirror of an interesting design. You have a lot of great bones to work with - you will have fun!!
July 7, 2013 at 8:49pm   
lesmiles4
Thanks! None of the furniture in there is ours. We are bringing in some dark green leather couches, metal book case, brown coffee table and end tables. We are buying new dining room furniture as well. So pops of color in the area rugs and mantel as well?
July 7, 2013 at 9:39pm   
2taniya
Ok - a solid color sofa makes me think harder. Google a color wheel and see what colors you like in relation to your shade of green. Do you have artwork that you will be displaying on the walls? Can you take color ideas from that? You can still add candles, a table centerpiece and mantel display in the colors you like best. The wood floor sounds great but an area rug or two in the same colors will make the areas look like a whole. What things do you collect or like to have around you? Perhaps those things will give you color ideas or if you collect small things like seashells they could be gathered into glass bowls and you can work with the white soft pink brown shades. Red will of course go with your dark green but that might feel too much like Christmas. ;) What colors are you using now?
July 7, 2013 at 10:00pm   
S B
What about these?
July 8, 2013 at 6:08am   
lesmiles4
Loving the colors in the pillows! I'm sort of aiming at using some creams, grays, oranges, browns, whites, blues (if the right color) etc. I love the look of wood that has grayish tint to it, so I want to incorporate that into the room. For decor, using homemade aspen tree vases, sideways and upright, reclaimed wood frames, metal frames, old glass bottles with flowers. I dunno, does that paint a good picture so far? Haha, I'm not that great at putting it into words but I see the vision in my mind! I want to stray from a cabin feel, but I don't want it too contemporary. I want it to feel warm of course. Love the mosaic mirrors.
July 8, 2013 at 11:53am     
A Crew of Two
Sounds like you have great ideas...just take your time and choose things you love!
July 8, 2013 at 7:27pm   
Will do a living room and dining room renovation. Any ideas?
Will remove the three portrait. Reupholster the sofa....
Will renovate the living room and dining room. Any ideas?
Retile.whats the nice shade of tile should be used....
Renovating Living Room and Guest Room
My mother and I recently decided to attempt a DIY project....
Before and After Living Room, Dining Room and Kitchen Renovation
We recently purchased this house. It wasn't in great...
What should I do with the wood paneling?
I'm having trouble deciding whether to paint my wood...
Help with furniture in sitting /TV room off kitchen
Sofa has to go ... Should I purchase 4 chairs ?? It's...
Need help picking out countertop for kitchen island!
We are wanting to replace the counter top on our kitchen...
Fitted furniture is suddenly popular!
We have found in recent weeks that more and more customers...
How would you spend $10,000 in your garden?
If you had a windfall, where would your money go in...